Thread: Angel has fleas

Default Angel has fleas

Well, little Miss Angel has fleas (I figured she did, but didn't want to mess with her too much when she was so weak.) Will be getting Adams Flea Powder to use. I can't get the revolution for kittens right now (vets closed, nowhere else has it) and besides, I thought the powder would be better. I know Dawn can be used, but in her case, that is not an option. Unless anyone has any other ideas. Now, I have had her in my room and of course Peanut and Neeko are in there (although she is not right next to their cages) as well as the flyers. Do I need to treat them all???? Would it be smarter for them to use the Revolution (can call my vet next week about getting it).
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

Default Re: Angel has fleas

Just MHO but I would not use powder. I'd be afraid she might lick herself and ingest some of that stuff on top of all the meds she's already handling and I don't think that would be good. I would wait until you can get the Revolution and use that instead. Another couple of days at this point will probably make no difference since I'm sure she did have them before she even came to you. I simply would not trust powder on any squirrel... as I said just MHO

As for your pets, I'm afraid that yes, you'll have to treat the whole gang. They could use the powder, no problem, and I might put some of the powder on the carpet and other things I come in contact with myself to make sure that whatever bugs & eggs may be in there stand no chance. Just as long as Angel cannot ingest any of it.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

ok, will call vet on monday then. So I should just wait to treat everyone else? If I am going to get the revolution anyway, would it be smarter to just do a drop of that on each of them? (We are talking besides Angel, 1 grey, 1 ground squirrel, and 5 flyers.) I can put the flea powder on the carpets (will it be ok with my dogs walking in there????) I know as a general rule (or thought) flea squirrels don't go on dogs, right???? Ugh, my head is itchy all this flea talk!! lol
    Mary...

All the wild squirrels here have fleas. It's a staple part of their diet. Sorry if any of your buddies get them. That's not so great.
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

Believe it or not, this is the first time (aside from when I lived in the city) I have even had a squirrel with fleas!! Even the babies I have gotten in have not had them (we use the adams powder on them just to be safe, but I have never seen any with them). Will just get the revolution from my vet on Monday, treat them all and use powder around the room and vaccuum. It is what it is.
    Mary...

I use Capstar orally if I don't have Revolution. You can also use Adams spray for kittens/puppies, I spray one spray on a cotton round and then wipe the baby. Powders are dangerous because of the chance of inhalation. If you do use a spray make sure the baby is in a open air cage and not an aquarium or closed box.

It is not a baby, it is a 1.5 yo injured wild who is a nr now. She has neuro issues and an injured paw. She is on meds for the paw and is getting good nutrition, so thinking she could handle it now. Wish I could get some tomorrow (revolution) but can't find it, so will have to get it from the vets on Monday.
    Mary...

I think I have Revolution that I can mail if ou PM your address.

I do the same thing even with an adult. Inhalation of these chemicals can be dangerous.

Sammy's mom, thank you, but I am sure I can get it from the vet on Monday and want to start treating her (and everyone) as soon as I can. I need to figure out what is safe on the flyers.....is the revolution safe on them, too? I will ask Mrs. Skul, I'm sure she knows. Thank you so much!
    Mary...

She still has some bare pink spots on her. Her flank and by her mouth. Is there any question of mites? A lot of the guys here have that too. I have been treating the ones with the worst infections with ivermectin on a pecan half. They get it from an old very large hollow tree here that they all go into at one time or another when it snows or gets cold and nasty outside. This is not my tree, and there is nothing I can do about it. (I don't know what you would do anyway.) I suspect the mite colony is ancient.
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

The spot by her mouth is a combination of formula, and my holding her right there, so it is caused by me. The spot on her side, she had had a small puncture wound and has been that way since she came, has not really changed. I can talk to the vet about adding that in just to be safe now that she is stronger. And she is, you should have seen her moving around in the new cage today....she even climbed the bars! She is grooming herself regularly now (esp. after meds and feeding). She is drinking from a dish, but I also still give her the syringe as well.
    Mary...