Thread: Dry skin

Default Dry skin

My little girl 4 weeks old seems to be getting dry skin, it started on her belly. I thought it was from me cleaning her after her using the bathroom so I started being more gentle using cotton balls with slightly warmed water and not rubbing so much. But this morning I saw it on her sides also, just small peeling flakes. What can I put on her skin to help it or is this normal. I read baby oil, but then read it was for severe situations so I haven't done anything yet. Her's is not at all severe, but would like to get a handle on it. I did put a small container with a wet cotton ball in her container on the heated end last night after reading about it here.

Thanks
    Tanner

Default Re: Dry skin

What kind of container do you have her in? Cardboard is generally not good as it can dry them out. A plastic bin with a lid and several 1/2 inch holes for venilation drilled in it is a good choice as it can help hold some moisture. You can try putting a little piece of wet sponge in a small jar in the bin with her and that helps add moisture to the air in the bin.

Edit: I see where you used a cotton ball - perhaps a piece of sponge may work better? I'm not sure about anything to use topically on their skin though. The sponge in a jar worked for me to help clear up dry skin issues with my babies.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lennysmom from:

lukaslolamaus (07-24-2016)

Oh, I do think I remember reading somewhere that you can also dab a bit of aloe juice on her with a cotton ball for dry skin if you have a health foods store anywhere near by to pick some up.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

lennysmom...
    She is in a Rubbermaid container with holes drilled in top not cardboard. Ill try a sponge might work better, as I noticed the cottonball is still wet since last night and I would think if it was putting water in air it would dry out. Also see if I can find some aloe juice, I do have an aloe plant, but not sure exactly what part the juice is derived from.

Thanks,
    Tanner

Just break off a piece of aloe.When you squeeze it slimy stuff comes out. Just use that. You don't have to juice it.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to synisterkat from:

springer01 (07-24-2016)

Gardentoes11 Guest

I had that trouble with a pinky I had last year, & I rubbed him down with coconut oil, and it seemed to help. It's a main ingredient in a lot of hand cremes and lip balms. He outgrew the issue once he got more fur. Smelled like a little coconut! Sure did love that little foxer man! I swear his whole body peeled--kind of like a cicada or snake coming out of its skin. EEEWWW! He didn't appear to be itchy, though.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Gardentoes11 from:

springer01 (07-24-2016)