Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: CALCIUM SUPPLEMENT

Default Re: CALCIUM SUPPLEMENT

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York
    There is a God, I thought you were going to say "Our VP of Operations, Technology and Wizardry, Charley Chuckles".......
    I thought the same thing at first
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Simon's Mommy
    I think Abby would be able to chew on a computer just as well as any squirrel
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

*Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Amathis84
    As far as the regulat PH strips are concerned, you may be able to get these at any pool company or even lowes and walmart? PH is measured from 0-14 no matter what you're testing. If you can get the little one to pee on a hard (non-absorbent) surface you should be able to set the strip and have a few drops sit on the test side. Just make sure it sits flat. JUST A THOUGHT!!

As far as the D3 is it bad for gray squirrels? For some reason my brain keeps telling me that I have read somewhere to make sure not to give them Vitamin D... If this is safe for squirrels that would make supplementing a breeze!!

Thanks!!!
    Hot tub testing strips do not test urine ph accurately. Not sure why , but they don't.

Default Need help for Rex

Hi, I've been reading some of the responses for the calcium supplements. There are soooo many. Our little guy Rex is losing hair and we are pretty sure that it's from needing this supplement. I checked Petco and Pet Smart and they have a supplement called Repti Cal. Is this something we can give him until we can get a light? My husband has been out of work for a year now and those lights are very expensive, but we will be getting on soon. Would a grow light work the same or does it have to be the reptile light? Also we saw something about those HHB blocks. Were can we get these at, is there a website to go to? Thanks for any help.

Rex's Parents

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Default Re: Need help for Rex

Quote Originally Posted by Rex's Parents
    Hi, I've been reading some of the responses for the calcium supplements. There are soooo many. Our little guy Rex is losing hair and we are pretty sure that it's from needing this supplement. I checked Petco and Pet Smart and they have a supplement called Repti Cal. Is this something we can give him until we can get a light? My husband has been out of work for a year now and those lights are very expensive, but we will be getting on soon. Would a grow light work the same or does it have to be the reptile light? Also we saw something about those HHB blocks. Were can we get these at, is there a website to go to? Thanks for any help.

Rex's Parents
    Hi Rex's Parents!
    Rex may be losing some hair due to molt, which is normal. However, a good diet is of utmost importance too.
    HHB's fed per the directions along with the Healthy Diet is a great way to go.
    The Healthy Diet is a "sticky" in our Nutrition forum and as for ordering the HHB's...they can be ordered at http://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/

The HHB's appear to be a little pricey at first, BUT 1 bag of HHB's will last approx. a month and at the end of the day they are actually less expensive than the commercial rodent block (at least in my area). The HHB's are NOT meant to be fed exclusively, they were designed to be fed in addition to the Healthy Diet. Commercial rodent block was designed to be fed exclusively. HHB's are a SUPPLEMENT.
    Over the past year and a half, I have raised 12 squirrels, 5 of them have been released, 6 of them are being overwintered and will be released as soon as the trees leaf up, and 1 is an NR (she's my Princess and allows me to live in her castle with her )...they ALL love and eagerly eat their HHB's daily. I highly recommend them.

In order to keep them all on their toes and also to provide some variety in their diet, I switch up the blocks occasionally. I use the Growth, Adult, Picky Eaters, & Wild Bites formulas. Not all at the same time understandably, but one month they get 1 kind then the next month I might switch to a different kind and so on and so forth.

We are working on getting some clarification as to whether an additional "calcium supplement" is needed if you are feeding HHB's & the Healthy Diet. I, personally, do not use an additional supplement and do not see a reason to (at this time).

If I were you, I'd get Rex on the HHB's & Healthy Diet (if he is not already) BEFORE I went out and bought something "extra" to add to his food, especially since most of the commercially available supplemental powders were designed for reptiles.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

mpetys Guest

I wanted to share some information I recently found out in a thread I started discussing what rehabers feed their squirrels. I had tried the KayTee rat blocks and was currently using the Mazuri Rat and Mouse block purchased from PetsMart. I think I was paying $8 for 2 or 3 pounds. Doesn't sound like much, but I have been having around 30 squirrels plus still feeding my released squirrels. Then Crittermom posted::

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom
    Mazuri makes two different types of rat block - one for pet rats, which they sell in 20# bags for about $25 and one for "feeder" rats which is 50# for about $23. The difference between the two seems to be the amount of protein - the feeder rat (the cheaper stuff) is closer to what we do for our squirrels and the pet rat is quite high - 20+% protein... I buy the feeder rat to make the food for my wilds. It is softer and more porous than other rat blocks.

Purina makes Mazuri so a feed store that carries Purina feeds should be able to get it for you. I go through a 50# bag every two weeks! My wilds all look very fat and happy and OMG there are a lot of them.

BTW, it SMELLS...
    This has been great information I learned. My feed store carries the 50 pound bag for $24. And the squirrels are eating them. I have squirrels that I received from other TSB members to overwinter and release in spring and they are eating the Mazuri blocks also. I have four seven week old babies and they love them. I am surprised to see that squirrels that have been released, come back to their open release cage and eage the blocks and other foods I leave for them daily. The only thing Crittermom said that I haven't found is I haven't really found them to have an unpleasant smell to them. But, I have a stuffy nose most of the time so maybe that is keeping me from smelling a "smelly" smell!

UPDATE on ph strips, I got mine in and tried to get a sample from Davey. He tolerated me holding him and trying to stimulate him. But no pee. He would get antsy and I am guessing that maybe he was feeling the urge to pee and resisted. He seemed a bit alarmed at what I was doing. Almost like he was looking at me like we shared a dirty little secret! I will try getting up early and with hubby's help, try to get a sample in the morning. I still say we need a video. Charley Chuckles, did you get your strips in? Any luck?

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michele, am I correct in assume that you are feeding the commercial rat block as a complete diet? Meaning that your guys get a handful of commercial block and some veggies.

How long does it take you to go thru a 50# bag of the commercial rat block?

I believe you are feeding like 30+ squirrels, correct?

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

Hi Michelle,
    If you don't mind could you post or PM me the feed store that sells the Mazuri 50lb bags. I feed the wild squirrels in my yard but now that I know better I can't feed them the corn/peanut/sunflower seed crap from Lowe's. I have been feeding then my frozen acorn stash. I know they don't NEED me to supply their food but I do enjoy watching them. I definitely can't afford to feed Petsmart block to wild squirrels.

Also, I'm holding off until after a big party I'm giving my mom for her 80th birthday in 3 weeks---but after that, I WANT BABIES.

mpetys Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Milo's Mom
    Michele, am I correct in assume that you are feeding the commercial rat block as a complete diet? Meaning that your guys get a handful of commercial block and some veggies.

How long does it take you to go thru a 50# bag of the commercial rat block?

I believe you are feeding like 30+ squirrels, correct?
    Hi MM! I don't just feed the Mazuri rat blocks. I have taken the advice of many here on the board and try to feed a variety of items, giving the squirrels choice and variety. I also feed the Zupreem FruitBlend pellets. Both get eaten. Some days some squirrels eat more of the Zupreem pellets while on other days they wipe out all their Mazuri Rat blocks. Many have recommended the Zupreem Primate Dry diet or also known as Monkey blocks. I have just purchased a 20 pound bag of that to add in to the mix for variety.

I did taken in 11 squirrels who were fed the Mazuri rat blockS as their main diet and got veggies every other day. When I got them, I kept them on the rat blocks but did provide veggies every day. I was not planning on adding the Zupreem bird pellets to their diet but when I refilled the bowl of the squirrels in an adjoining cage, I had squirrels trying their hardest to get to them through 1/4" wire mesh, so I decided to add a bit to their rat blocks as well.

As far as how much I go through, I am not really sure. Was recently kicking myself for not tracking that information for both the rat blocks and the Zupreem pellets. Am planning on trying to get that info when I open the next new bags.

I currently have 26 soon to be released squirrels and four NR's. I have 4 squirrels being delivered this afternoon and 4 seven week old babies. I have agreed to take an adult wild in to help her get back to the trees if possible. I got to where I can't keep up without doing a head count!

mpetys Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS
    Hi Michelle,
    If you don't mind could you post or PM me the feed store that sells the Mazuri 50lb bags. I feed the wild squirrels in my yard but now that I know better I can't feed them the corn/peanut/sunflower seed crap from Lowe's. I have been feeding then my frozen acorn stash. I know they don't NEED me to supply their food but I do enjoy watching them. I definitely can't afford to feed Petsmart block to wild squirrels.

Also, I'm holding off until after a big party I'm giving my mom for her 80th birthday in 3 weeks---but after that, I WANT BABIES.
    First of all, a big Happy Birthday to your Mom!

I get the Mazuri rat blocks from Harolds Feed Store in Dover. They are on the corner of MLK and McIntosh. I buy feed for ducks, geese and chickens there every week and had no idea they even carried the rat blocks.

Crittermom posted a recipe for how she makes the blocks more enticing for the outdoor squirrels:

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom
    The name/ID# of the 50# bags of Mazuri is Mazuri Rodent 6F.

I "cook" mine - that is I mix them with a little bit of canola oil, a blob of penaut butter, stir it up and nuke them until the oil/PB mixture is boiling, hen allow them to cool. This drives the peanut butter taste through the blocks and the wilds don't even leave crumbs behind. It is the "cooking" that releases the smell - you wouldn't notice it otherwise.

That said, if I was going to be feeding my rehab squirrels instead of literally hundreds of wilds, I would go for the Harlan Teklad. They are very reasonably priced and I believe a better quality block than the Mazuri.
    Oh, I see something I missed earlier. The smell is just when you cook them. I knew I didn't smell anything with my blocks! Hope this info helps!

What age babies will you be interested in? How many? I'll be happy to keep you in mind when I start getting more in. Last year, I had to quit taking babies in when I had so many I was barely getting any sleep.

I received an email from Dr. Emerson last night and she said since it is so hard to get the Nutroball another good source of calcium/D3 for anyone interested the product is called Exo Terra Ca and D3. And it would be just a pinch sprinkled directly on food daily

MomOf2squirrels Guest

I got a small container of repto cal today and sprinkled a little in their water. I was using powdered fox valley baby formula but ran out so got this stuff instead. I want to make sure they are healthy and strong, I am getting ready to release Galileo's babies in a couple months and then I will be down to one squirrel again and I am going to try and not let her outside during mating season again. Although the babies are sweet (well not that sweet they are pretty mean actually. I didn't handle them except for the runt of the litter who happens to be the meanest of all.) I can really only comfortably provide for Galileo. She is mostly a house squirrel but likes to go out roaming in the nice weather months. I raised her from a 4 week old baby. We are going on 3 years together.

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles
    I received an email from Dr. Emerson last night and she said since it is so hard to get the Nutroball another good source of calcium/D3 for anyone interested the product is called Exo Terra Ca and D3. And it would be just a pinch sprinkled directly on food daily
    Thank you Abby!

I was waiting patiently cause I know Dr. E did not want 15 of us bugging her about it!
    That product is affordable and available in lots of stores...
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CF4Q8gIwBg#
    "I always thought someone should do something about that, then I realized I was someone” ~ Lily Tomlin

"The world is a dangerous place not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing" ~ Albert Einstein

Just popping in with my 2 cents on a subject that hasn't been talked about.

I worked in a zoo years ago and they went to feeing the primate diet perfectly formulated nutritionally. It was very boring for the animals. In captivity they have little to do as they were meant to in the wild. Food is a big deal for them.
    Zoos started realizing this and offered different real food through out the day.

So even though the rat blocks are the "perfect diet" the emotional side of being in captivity should be looked at too. Squirrels in the wild eat many many different foods and spend many hours doing this. I think it is sort of sad for captive squirrels to only be fed rat blocks with a few other things.
    (I am not sure if any one does only rat blocks, that is the life of a lab rat)

Perhaps a good supplement along with the healthy diet is the best of both worlds...Just my opinion (even spread the food around so they have to move to find it )
    Tribute to my dear Wheezer:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfmpVgdwCi8
    New favorites squirrel video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu22KiUQFmY

Quote Originally Posted by wheezer

I worked in a zoo years ago and they went to feeing the primate diet perfectly formulated nutritionally. It was very boring for the animals. In captivity they have little to do as they were meant to in the wild. Food is a big deal for them.
    Zoos started realizing this and offered different real food through out the day.

So even though the rat blocks are the "perfect diet" the emotional side of being in captivity should be looked at too. Squirrels in the wild eat many many different foods and spend many hours doing this. I think it is sort of sad for captive squirrels to only be fed rat blocks with a few other things.

Perhaps a good supplement along with the healthy diet is the best of both worlds...Just my opinion (even spread the food around so they have to move to find it )

I could not agree more!
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

His Holiness The Dalai Lama

The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

Émile Zola

mpetys Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wheezer

I couldn't agree with you more! I watch when they eat their salads, how they dig through their bowls, looking for their favorite items. How they may love one thing for a while then turn their nose up at it the next! While they have certain staples in their veggie bowls (romaine, avocado) I rotate the other items in their veggie bowls to give them variety and and choice. I like to give them a variety when it comes to their blocks as well. As with their salads, they get a staple, the ZuPreem Fruitblend pellets. They eats these with no problem every day. Just alone, this gives them variety and choice as they can pick what color, shape and flavor they want and, they do. I like to add one or two items from the following: Mazuri Ovals rat block, ZuPreem Primate Dry blocks or ZuPreem VeggieBlend pellets.

If I am releasing for another rehabber and their squirrels were raised on the Mazuri Ovals as their base for the block part of their diet, then I continue with that being the main block item but still adding the other items for variety. Those squirrels tend to switch over to the Fruitblend pellets as being their favorite. They also get their yummy salads every day as well.

They also get outside foods such as maple leaves and branches, hibiscus flowers, magnolia cones etc.

A note about the Mazuri - call around to your feed stores and find one that carries Purina (which is a huge, major feed manufacturer). Purina owns Mazuri, so a Purina dealer can order it if they don't have it. Since they get truckloads of stuff at a time, you won't be dealing with shipping costs like you would if you ordered it.

Yes, it is the cooking that releases the smell. I smell it in my dreams...

yes I do use a variety of veggies/some fruit (only what is on the OK list) I have never used blocks/at least not much I use supplement in the water but I am getting blocks I found the ones that were at the gathering both CC & LG like OK so what were they
    Also daily I climb 20 feet up an Oak tree for fresh branches (Yes I use a ladder ) I just pray that ladder doesn't move on me I don't recommend this but do as I say not as I do

also suggested by DrE is the Reptocal with d 3
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Simon's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzpwo0r35l0

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”
    ― Anatole France

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234