Thread: Can a person catch mites from a squirrel?

Default Can a person catch mites from a squirrel?

I was just wondering since I have all these little squirrels that have mange that visit our back yard and porch all the time, is it possible for me or anyone else in the family to catch this?? We do not handle the squirrels or touch them at all, but we do handle theri water bowls to change the water in them and the bird bath. Seeing that we have the squirrels that are always in our back yard and on our porch ( I have even seen the one itching itself on one of our welcome mats), could these mites fall off of them and we bring them in the house on our shoes?? Do they transfer this way??

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Default Re: Can a person catch mites from a squirrel?

mange can be zoonotic...called scabies in humans..
    however you would have to be sleeping with a sq or a dog etc or not have clean conditions..
    it is doubtful you will have any issues with your outsiders giving you scabies!

Default Re: Can a person catch mites from a squirrel?

Hi Jackie,

Thanks for your reply. I was just worried since I have all these little guys who are regularly hanging out on my back porch now always waiting to eat and a few have mange to varying degrees. I just saw the one rolling all around on the matt on the porch landing. Poor thing was dragging herself along the matt, she or he must be really itchy. I feel bad for them

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie in Tampa
    mange can be zoonotic...called scabies in humans..
    however you would have to be sleeping with a sq or a dog etc or not have clean conditions..
    it is doubtful you will have any issues with your outsiders giving you scabies!