Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: squirrel has mange??

Default squirrel has mange??

Hi everyone.

I am new to this board and need some info. I have recently started feeding the squirrels in my back yard. I noticed that one of them has a 4 inch patch of hair missing on his upper back as well as by his arms. He also scratches alot. I live in Chicago IL. It is winter here and I am worried about this squirrel. We are thankfully having a mild winter so far, but it is still cold out. I called my local vet the one I use to take my dog too. Our doggy passed away last April. This vet is very nice. I talked to him and he said that some squirrels can get rid of mange on their own. Is this true? He said to keep an eye on the squirrel and he seems to be getting worse, that he would try and help. I am assuming he will try and give me some medication to give to the squirrel. I callled a wildlife center eariler in the day and the guy I spoke with told me to stop feeding the squirrels that this would spread the mange. He also said there was nothing I could do that the squirrel would succumb to it eventually. I did not like his answer so that is when I called my vet. My vet said to keep feeding them, it will help give them strength. He said that it is contagious, but usually with the squirrels who nest together. Any advice would be appreciated.

Default Re: squirrel has mange??

First off
    can you post a picture, it would be easier to tell what is going on.
    I would never say to stop feeding them. I would say feed them more.
    Veggies, fruit, nuts, good stuff.
    here is a discussion about outside squirrel and what they are feed
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=32058

Simon's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzpwo0r35l0

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”
    ― Anatole France

Hi, welcome and thank you for caring!

ok, first of, I, personally, distrust most wildlife centres, in my experience they all end up being rather heartless in many ways.

As for whether it can go away on its own or not, it depends. Some squirrels do recover on their own, others - don't and die of it (mange leads to anemia and concomitant complications that eventually lead to death).

It depends on how strong the squirrel's immune system is,
    how far it's gone and the season - in cold seasons and colder climates their chances of recovering on their own are lower (because, for instance, their little bodies have to do many things, including keeping warm, which takes a lot of energy away from keeping immune system strong; lack of food in the winter adds to the weakening of a squirrel's immune system; hungry and cold squirrel gets more stressed out, which in turn weakens its immune system even more, as mange progresses, it becomes more difficult for the immune system to resist it, which again weakens it even more; at the advanced stages anemia starts which adds a huge blow on their entire system and so on and so forth).

So, can the squirrel recover on its own?... Depends.

Keep an eye - if her condition worsens, it might be better to intervene as it might indicate that it cannot recover on its own. Usually, those who can recover on their own do not get worse to begin with.

Feed them! Nutrition is very important, as well as a bit less stress having to forage in foodless winter.

It's great that you have a vet who is willing to help. So rare!!!

Quote Originally Posted by puddinpie
    Hi everyone.
    I am new to this board and need some info. I have recently started feeding the squirrels in my back yard. I noticed that one of them has a 4 inch patch of hair missing on his upper back as well as by his arms. He also scratches alot. I live in Chicago IL. It is winter here and I am worried about this squirrel. We are thankfully having a mild winter so far, but it is still cold out. I called my local vet the one I use to take my dog too. Our doggy passed away last April. This vet is very nice. I talked to him and he said that some squirrels can get rid of mange on their own. Is this true? He said to keep an eye on the squirrel and he seems to be getting worse, that he would try and help. I am assuming he will try and give me some medication to give to the squirrel. I callled a wildlife center eariler in the day and the guy I spoke with told me to stop feeding the squirrels that this would spread the mange. He also said there was nothing I could do that the squirrel would succumb to it eventually. I did not like his answer so that is when I called my vet. My vet said to keep feeding them, it will help give them strength. He said that it is contagious, but usually with the squirrels who nest together. Any advice would be appreciated.
    What an idiot!!

The hair loss pattern does sound like mange but a picture would be helpful to determine if it is (just) mange, the degree of it, or possibly something else.

If it is mange, personally I would try to gain it's trust so it would signally take nuts from you. Once you get it coming to you it can be treated with a liquid Ivermectin if you could get some from your vet. All it would take is a small drop the size of a grain of rice that can be placed on a (opened) pecan or walnut. Treat once and if it's still coming around treat again in 2 weeks and your done. Sometimes even just 1 treatment will take care of it, Ivermectin works wonders on mange.

Wow, thank you so much for all your replies everyone, it is greatly appreciated. I agree with you all, that wildlife guy was a jerk and did seem kind of cold hearted. I will try and get a picture of him. It does look like mange though as I saw some of the pictures of squirrels online with mange and it does look similar. I assume itching is a symptom of mange, and this little guy is itching alot. I know they can get fleas and stuff that make them itch, but I have never heard of fleas making the hair fall out. I am kind of worried about the others I feed. I get like 8 of them that come to my yard. I do not have a feeder, I feed them walnuts in the shell, pecans in the shell, hazeluts in the shell, and also a few pumpkin seeds and a few sunflower seeds. I also give them the same nuts out of the shell to, so they get a nice mixture. For a treat I give them the brazil nuts from time to time( they love those), but I get them out of the shell, I think those things are way to hard and I would not want one of the squirrels to break a tooth trying to open it. I know they have pretty sharp teeth, but that brazil nut it one tough nut to crack. I also make sure they have clean fresh water daily. I have the bird bath and I also put a bowl down with water next to where the nuts are and I change it about twice a day, sometimes three times.

Oh, I also noticed that some of the other squirrels will kind of shun this little guy and like to chase him away. Is this because they know something is not right with him?? I also saw another little one that has a couple spots that are missing from his hair, not as bad as the one I was telling you about though. Hope it is not spreading. I at first thought maybe the little guy was molting, but no, it is too early for that and this does not look like molting. Also, one last question I have is, the medicine that the vet will hopefully give me, is it safe for the squirrels? It wont cause a bad reaction on the squirrel will it, I mean since it is a drug?? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure this all out Thanks again. This is a great board and I appreciate all your help!!

Ivermectin can be purchased in a large "single use" (for horses!) tube any place that sells feed, tack or otherwise horsie stuff like Tractor Supply. I was purchasing something else from horse.com the other day and saw tubes of it for $1.99 - even locally it is only $5-$7.

Squirt the entire tube out into a tupperware-type container and mix it well. It separates in the tube which doesn't matter if you are dosing a horse since they get the whole thing, but it will with a squirrel. So mix, mix, mix.

You want to use a toothpick to put a bit of the mixture THE SIZE OF AN UNCOOKED GRAIN OF RICE on a pecan half or the like. Look at uncooked rice grains - they are VERY SMALL. You are only going to give a teeny amount. The redose is the same as the liquid.

Hi Crittermom,

I went on the horse.com and I saw the ivermectin, but there are so many kinds. Which one is the one that you used? They have several single dose ones. Not sure which one to get. I am going to call the local vet today. He said he would help me, but incase he does not have the stuff, I will order it. How long will it take to get shipped to me I wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom
    Ivermectin can be purchased in a large "single use" (for horses!) tube any place that sells feed, tack or otherwise horsie stuff like Tractor Supply. I was purchasing something else from horse.com the other day and saw tubes of it for $1.99 - even locally it is only $5-$7.

Squirt the entire tube out into a tupperware-type container and mix it well. It separates in the tube which doesn't matter if you are dosing a horse since they get the whole thing, but it will with a squirrel. So mix, mix, mix.

You want to use a toothpick to put a bit of the mixture THE SIZE OF AN UNCOOKED GRAIN OF RICE on a pecan half or the like. Look at uncooked rice grains - they are VERY SMALL. You are only going to give a teeny amount. The redose is the same as the liquid.

Hi Crittermom,

I went on the horse.com and I saw the ivermectin, but there are so many kinds. Which one is the one that you used? They have several single dose ones. Not sure which one to get. I am going to call the local vet today. He said he would help me, but incase he does not have the stuff, I will order it. How long will it take to get shipped to me I wonder.
    Every single one of those are the same medicine - some have apple flavoring to make your horse like it more, some come in multi-packs, but they are all the same. Horse owners have a very specific anti-parasitic regimen they have to follow depending on the area of the country and ivermectin is one of the ones that winds up getting used several times a year - so EVERYONE has jumped on the bandwagon! I would just get this stuff:
    http://www.horse.com/item/187-iverme...mer/SLT500400/

because it is cheapest. And like I said, if you have feed stores or tack stores or anything like that you can walk in and buy it - and it will STILL be the same ivermectin. I usually get stuff from these folks within a week with their economy shpping, but I may be further away than you are.

[QUOTE=puddinpie] (cut)
    Oh, I also noticed that some of the other squirrels will kind of shun this little guy and like to chase him away. Is this because they know something is not right with him??

Absolutely! Besides just the knowing something's wrong with him, they know a weaker animal is more subject to prey. They are not going to buddy up with him and share that threat.
    This is one of the reasons it's so hard sometimes when it's not so obvious to know when they are sick, they themselves will do everything to put on a front so as not to show any signs of weakness.

Thanks ladies. I also have one other question. When I get the Ivmectin, how do I ensure he will eat the nut I put it in? What if he does not take it? Or worse, what if he takes it and drops it or buries it somewhere and another squirrel gets it?? Is there any specific food I can put it in that he will likely eat it, not bury it or turn his nose up at it?? This morning I gave him a brazil nut out of the shell he ate it. Then I gave him a pecan half and a almond out of the shell. He took those and went across the street. He may have ate them but I am not sure. He then came back and when I offered him a walnut and a half of pecan out of the shell, he turned his nose up at them. I then offered him a pecan in the shell and he took that. I am waiting for my local vet to call me back. Hope he calls soon. I noticed that he has a long line down his back where hair is missing and also around his neck some. Also behind his arms as well. He also itches alot. I saw him itching himself on the sidewalk. Poor little guy, my heart hurts for him. Nature can be so cruel

If he eats the first nut you offer him in the morning make sure it's one he likes, out of the shell and only part of it. That's the one you treat, very doubful he'll even taste the Ivermectin.
    Mange will cause them to scratch, it is very irratating to their skin. Not only does the mange cause the hair loss but so does the constant scratching.

First nut, yes, or...

Mix the ivermectin with a little blob of peanut butter and put it inside half an empty peanut shell. They won't bury sticky stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom
    First nut, yes, or...
    Mix the ivermectin with a little blob of peanut butter and put it inside half an empty peanut shell. They won't bury sticky stuff like that.
    Great idea!

Thanks ladies. Well, I ordered the paste from horse.com. It was really cheap so I figured I'll order it just in case my local vet does not have the stuff, at least I am ahead of the game. I am having it next day delivery so hopefully it will arrive tomorrow. I figure even if the vet has it, well I will have this on hand in case I need it again.

The peanut butter is a good idea. The only thing is, will he lick all the peanut butter out? That or maybe if I mix the stuff in a glob of the peanut butter and put in on the nut, or no that may be too messy. I also was thining about putting it in a piece of cookie ( vanilla with cream in the middle), just a tiny piece. I know that sweets are not good for them, but maybe juts to get the medicine down him. The peanut butter is a good idea though. I just hope he would notice the peanut butter in there and not grab the nut shell in a hurry and bury it. You ladies are the best, thanks for all your help with this. This is all new to me. It all started last fall when I had this squirrel come up to me in my back yard and stand up and put out his hand. I thought it was so cute. He then did it again the next day so I went inside and got him a walnut. He took it and ever since we have been feeding him, but now we have some of his friends from the neighborhood ( 7 ) of them that come for food I fell in love them and they are the sweetest things. I am just so worried about this little guy. It is suppose to be 25 degrees in a couple days and it is going to be freezing at nighttime. We have had a very mild winter here in Chicago this year. It has been staying in the mid thirties to fourties. We even had 60 degrees last week one day. I am praying it stays mild for his sake. But still, 26 is cold if you are bald.

Thanks ladies. Well, I ordered the paste from horse.com. It was really cheap so I figured I'll order it just in case my local vet does not have the stuff, at least I am ahead of the game. I am having it next day delivery so hopefully it will arrive tomorrow. I figure even if the vet has it, well I will have this on hand in case I need it again.

The peanut butter is a good idea. The only thing is, will he lick all the peanut butter out? That or maybe if I mix the stuff in a glob of the peanut butter and put in on the nut, or no that may be too messy. I also was thining about putting it in a piece of cookie ( vanilla with cream in the middle), just a tiny piece. I know that sweets are not good for them, but maybe juts to get the medicine down him. The peanut butter is a good idea though. I just hope he would notice the peanut butter in there and not grab the nut shell in a hurry and bury it. You ladies are the best, thanks for all your help with this. This is all new to me. It all started last fall when I had this squirrel come up to me in my back yard and stand up and put out his hand. I thought it was so cute. He then did it again the next day so I went inside and got him a walnut. He took it and ever since we have been feeding him, but now we have some of his friends from the neighborhood ( 7 ) of them that come for food I fell in love them and they are the sweetest things. I am just so worried about this little guy. It is suppose to be 25 degrees in a couple days and it is going to be freezing at nighttime. We have had a very mild winter here in Chicago this year. It has been staying in the mid thirties to fourties. We even had 60 degrees last week one day. I am praying it stays mild for his sake. But still, 26 is cold if you are bald.
    you have already had tons of great ideas.

I've tried all of them and they all work, but for different squirrel personalities;-).

I also noticed that if you give a squirrel something (e.g., a pb sandwich), they will eat the best part and discard the rest, so they will eat pb but won't touch bread (if you give them bread with a veggie on top, they will give bread a try, but will discard the veggie, when I gave them a medicated blob of almond butter on top of a pecan, they ate the pecan and dropped the medicated blob etc).
    So, what I ended up doing for some of my wilds to ensure they eat the medicated portion is that I put the medicated blob of almond butter on a plain somewhat stale piece of bread. That worked all the time: they would lick all that almond butter off the piece of bread and drop the bread.

Hi Astra,

I was wondering, what if I took a piece of bread, toasted it and took off a tiny square of the toast and put a dab of the medicated peanut butter on it, do you think that would work or would it be better to use just plain bread? Peanut butter or almond butter, which would they like better? I guess that is going to be trial and error, they all have different tastes I guess. Thanks for the help. I also thought about getting some vanilla wafers and put a little peanut butter on it. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by astra
    you have already had tons of great ideas.

I've tried all of them and they all work, but for different squirrel personalities;-).

I also noticed that if you give a squirrel something (e.g., a pb sandwich), they will eat the best part and discard the rest, so they will eat pb but won't touch bread (if you give them bread with a veggie on top, they will give bread a try, but will discard the veggie, when I gave them a medicated blob of almond butter on top of a pecan, they ate the pecan and dropped the medicated blob etc).
    So, what I ended up doing for some of my wilds to ensure they eat the medicated portion is that I put the medicated blob of almond butter on a plain somewhat stale piece of bread. That worked all the time: they would lick all that almond butter off the piece of bread and drop the bread.

Hi Astra,

I was wondering, what if I took a piece of bread, toasted it and took off a tiny square of the toast and put a dab of the medicated peanut butter on it, do you think that would work or would it be better to use just plain bread? Peanut butter or almond butter, which would they like better? I guess that is going to be trial and error, they all have different tastes I guess. Thanks for the help. I also thought about getting some vanilla wafers and put a little peanut butter on it. What do you think?
    Hi puddinpie and first of all, welcome to the nut house

Your idea sounds like a good one; you might also try putting the little dab of med on a walnut half, place a tiny daab of peanut butter on another half and stick the two halves together. It worked great that way with my little Poxie for her other meds. They usually love walnuts, and if it has no shell they'll eat it right away. The ivermectin is usually apple flavored, so you won't have to worry about him rejectin it if it's on a walnut.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

Hi Astra,
    I wouldn't use the wafer, they are like children when it comes to sweets. They will go for the sweet first and discard the other. Personally I like the peanut butter idea on a nut shell, toast, or even cardboard for that matter just as long as it's only the peanut butter thats appealing.

Hi Astra,

hhmmm... i don't think that toasted or not would make much difference to them. I did notice that whenever I gave them roasted and raw almonds, they would go for the raw and ignore the roasted. No fail.
    But if you goal is for him to eat the medicated blob/dab of nut butter, I don't think it should matter whether the bread is toasted or not.
    I am thinking, that, maybe, the toasted might be easier for you to handle: it is firmer, so it won't crumble easily risking to smear the medicated nut dab on the ground. So, maybe, the toasted bread would be a better option that way. It will be easier for the guy to hold, too, because it is firmer.

As for peanut butter or almond butter, tastes differ .
    You can try something unmedicated to see which one he will prefer.
    Vanilla wafer should be fine, too, I think...

The reason I suggested not using the vanilla wafer is relating to how my girl is about them...
    Not only will she fight you for one, she will eat through the pantry door to get at a box of vanilla wafers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast