Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying Squirrel Will Not Awaken or Is Dying ?

edge Guest

Default Flying Squirrel Will Not Awaken or Is Dying ?

I am trying to relocate flying squirrels found in my attic to a conservation area. The squirrel appeared very active last night and early this morning and did not appear too stressed.

I feed it a small amount of peanut butter and melon last night and some melon the morning. At noon his activity dropped and I could not awaken it by taping on the cage, but it is still breathing. The weather is very warm here for this time of year 60 F. Another squirrel was caught and released without a problem at noon, but was not fed. I know these squirrels are nocturnal, but is the squirrel dying or in a deep sleep from the food? If a deep sleep how long will it last? If he is dying is there anything I can do to help?

Default Re: Flying Squirrel Will Not Awaken or Is Dying ?

if you send me an email at silvana2065( no spaces )@hotmail.com i will email you the number of mrs skul one of our flyer experts...

to prevent spam my email is not a link.. there is no spaces between the 2065 and the @hotmail.com

for now is he warm?

try not to stress him....

i'm sorry i have no idea what to do ... i know that warm/quiet and dark are helpful in these cases.... but i've no idea if it was something he ate....

flyers have a high need for meat - worms/cooked chicken etc ..since hes wild i'd try to find something that is natural to him....

but even that might not be enough right now....

also they do die from stress.....

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

depending where you are in the u.s. it's not a good idea to release in the winter....

also one of our other people has done the same thing but she kept them together i'll see if i can find her link to her thread for some tips for you ....

but regardless i don't know about this little guy .... i was thinking he could have choked on the peanut butter or maybe had a reaction to the melon.... it's better not to give either of these things.... just to be safe.

edit: this is the thread

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=32264

ps: edge you are not yet allowed to receive private messages.. i cannot give you mrs skuls phone number in a public forum. ... i need to leave for 30 mins... but i'll be back .. i hope i'll receive your email then ... or someone else has been able to help you..

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

the fact he did eat, he is probably not dying from stress (he probably would not eat if he was super stressed.) What do you have him in? Is there any possibility he got into any type of poison for rodents? Keep him in a quiet area, try not to disturb him. they can sleep quite deeply. if you have any in shell nuts (hazelnuts seem to be a fav of the wilds here), put some in his cage and see if he eats them tonight. When were you planning on releasing? The problem with a winter release is they colonize in winter, and if you just put them outside, they will have no place to go to immediately, nor a stash already set up.

unless you fix how they are getting in, they will just keep coming in.
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

edge Guest

I have no rodent poison around, so there is no problem there. I have him in a Havahart trap and gave him some paper for nesting material. I was planning on releasing tomorrow, since I really have no place to keep it long term. They entered at the soffit by the gutter from a tree. The tree will be trimmed back to prevent this from happening again.

Where are you located, maybe someone could help?
    Mary...

sent mrs skuls phone number....

pappy i'm so glad you are here.. i also linked the other wild flyer thread you are helping with .....

Silvana..

edge Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pappy1264
    Where are you located, maybe someone could help?
    I am in central New Jersey.

Since you say it's warm where you are do make sure he has fresh water handy, plenty of it so he can drink if'n when he wakes up. Leave more melon, maybe small slices of oranges too in his cage... things to help hydrate himself.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

Do you have the havaheart trap in a safe area, and mostly covered? Do you have anything larger you could put him into, maybe a parakeet cage (no larger then 1/2" spacing) with some fleece to snuggle inside?
    Mary...

Do you know if there are more? It seems likely if there were 2, there may be more. If you had something else to keep them in you could reset the trap and catch them until you have all of them to release together. Maybe someone could take them until spring? Even though it's been warmer than usual it is still winter and there are no bugs etc for food. Good luck!

edge Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom
    Do you know if there are more? It seems likely if there were 2, there may be more. If you had something else to keep them in you could reset the trap and catch them until you have all of them to release together. Maybe someone could take them until spring? Even though it's been warmer than usual it is still winter and there are no bugs etc for food. Good luck!
    I might have more, since I thought I heard some noise early this am. I'll listen again. Unfortunately, I don't have another cage to keep them in.

Quote Originally Posted by pappy1264
    Do you have the havaheart trap in a safe area, and mostly covered? Do you have anything larger you could put him into, maybe a parakeet cage (no larger then 1/2" spacing) with some fleece to snuggle inside?
    Yes, it located in the garage and covered. No larger cage though. I gave him the paper to use for nesting, but he just laid on it.

maybe you could check on CL for a free cage, something a little bigger? I agree, if there are more and you could trap, would be better to have them together.
    Mary...

freecycle.com! Go check out your area and post that you need a cage. I would bet that someone has one to give new home. Maybe there is a TSBer in the area that could loan one?

hi:

is there an update?

is he/she awake?

i'm thinking that you'll need another cage anyway because you have more flyers and you can't catch another one with this one in the cage...

you're in new jersey?

i'm wondering who we have up there .. maybe someone can take them for you and keep them in a release cage or something.....

edit: i just started a thread asking if anyone knows anyone etc.... that can take them ....

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...718#post725718

Silvana..

edge Guest

I'm sorry to post that he/she died early this evening. I probably set the Havahart tomorrow and I'll update if I find any more.

Aww, I am sorry. Was he small? I wonder if he was a younger one. RIP sweet little one.
    Mary...

Poor little darling. He did not die all alone and freezing... you gave him a gentle voyage back to the Creator. Thank you for this.

R.I.P. sweet little one.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

Silvana..

That Poor Little Flyer.
    Please if you can wait a few months till Spring. You probably have a Mom and Babies. I bet this little one got to cold in the Garage.
    Put Paper towels in side. If they were cough in the attic, it is warmer then being on a Cold Concrete Slab in the Garage. Keep them in the house.
    But until you fix the Hole they are getting in. They will keep coming. Cutting the Tree away will not stop them from Flying/Gliding down onto
    the roof and back into the attic they go. They will just keep Dieing from Stress and Cold, If you keep trapping and leaving them out. JMO
    Wild Flyers will need Nuts, they need the Fat at this time of year, And Protean Boiled Chicken, Meal worms or WaxWorms.
    " They are probably hunting down the Bugs in your Attic."
    Another month should not hurt. If you can Build some FlyingSquirrel Nest Boxes. Hang them in the trees. Add some Fleece to keep them warm.
    This will help them find a sleeping area if all the others are taken. Good Luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.