Thread: Mealworms

Default Mealworms

I got a bunch of dried mealworms and YANA loves them. I was wondering how many I can give a 5 month old Eastern Grey Squirrel and how often? Or if I shouldn't be giving them to him could you please explain why?

Default Re: Mealworms

Nope, mealworms are good for him! Where did you find dried mealworms though? I have been having to give my flyer live superworms and I HATE them (however, he LOVES them). If your grey likes them, then feed away!

lizharrell1

Lowe's in my area now carries freeze dried meal worms in the bird seed department.

I got them at a store that sold stuff for wild birds. Apparently you are supposed to feed the outdoor birds.

I'm glad you asked that. I didn't know I was supposed to offer Stormy Lee any worms or meat at all, since she isn't a Flyer. I don't know where I would find any mealworms around here, though. Dried or live! Maybe Tractor supply in their bird section. I'll look next time I go in.

You can probably order them online. They are very light so it shouldn't cost that much in shipping.

i would think that meat/meal worms etc... are an important part of all squirrels diet .... they eat baby birds, moths, frogs etc...

i think even ground squirrels eat some meat.... worms etc....

glad she eats dried meal worms ... many want the real live kind ...

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

I hate handling live mealworms, even the dry ones are a bit gross (they bring back the sensory memory of the live ones).
    I just put a few on top of his salad, just like I do with sesame seeds, so maybe he thinks of them as a type of extra yummy seed.
    But I must agree for him loving the dried kind.

yes ...the wiggly kind is hard to give out.... i think some people use plastic tweezer type of things.... but it would be yucky to look at them getting eaten

and then i think it's cocoa (of mirams' cocoa and chip famous flying squirrels ) that holds the meal worm and sucks out the inside....slurrppppp .....

???or was that sooty???? hmmm

so yes ...consider yourself very lucky..... my wilds wouldn't touch the dried meal worms but love moths, baby birds etc....

come to think of it ...they also loved an old steak bone that they found somewhere ... they kept chewing it in my yard and then finally it was gone...probably went to someone elses yard and they probably threw it out...after all normal people don't realise that squirrels gnaw on bones....

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

WalMart is now carrying dried mealworms in their wild bird food department. $7.00 for a 7 ounce bag. There are alot of worms in the bag. My little grey loves them.

You should try waxworms and superworms.....watch how excited he gets!

Great place to order online....

www.grubco.com

I buy 5000 mealies and 1000 waxworms about every 2 weeks! lol (but I have ALOT of mouths to feed, not just the greys and flyers, but my sugar gliders, as well.)
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

passionforpaws Guest

I just found the Kaytee dried mealworms on Amazon.com Below is the link. You can purchase just one bag or get a monthly subscription.

https://www.amazon.com/Kaytee-100508...ords=mealworms

Rainbow mealworms is a good site to order live mealworms, supers, butter worms, wax worms and more. I've been ordering from them for a while for my beardie. Sammy has shown no interest in them so far.

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

Quote Originally Posted by pappy1264 View Post
    You should try waxworms and superworms.....watch how excited he gets!

Great place to order online....

www.grubco.com

I buy 5000 mealies and 1000 waxworms about every 2 weeks! lol (but I have ALOT of mouths to feed, not just the greys and flyers, but my sugar gliders, as well.)
    Be careful about those wax worms hatching into moths..
    I fed these to my crested geckos they loved them but I bought too many once and the rest hatched I opened the container and about 500 moths came flying out, and I HATE moths I ran like a little girl..lol

Quote Originally Posted by passionforpaws View Post
    I just found the Kaytee dried mealworms on Amazon.com Below is the link. You can purchase just one bag or get a monthly subscription.

https://www.amazon.com/Kaytee-100508...ords=mealworms
    That's Amazon price is not bad with free shipping (@$9.82 currently per 17.6 ounce bag), IF you can get over the $25.00 minimum. Otherwise expect $4.50 or a bit more perhaps to ship one item like this.

If you can add it to an order you're already getting that fulfilled by Amazon, and you can wait several days,...then that can save you travel time and gas.

However, I just got back from my local Walmart (on 6-3-18), and the same 17.6 ounce Kaytee bag was exactly the same price,... with no waiting or minimums. Look for it in the Pets area,....in the bird feeding supplies.

Camilles Vita-mealies organic mealworms are raised on a diet high in calcium and other nutrients. https://vita-mealie.weebly.com/dried...-listings.html

When these Superworms were offered to an Eastern Gray squirrel which previously rejected live mealworms, they was readily accepted, and were an immediate hit!

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

SophieSquirrel (06-03-2018), Toddy (06-04-2018)