Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pneumonia video

Default Pneumonia video

This is a good example of a baby squirrel with pneumonia. This can happen due to exposure but more importantly due to improper feeding technique. Squirrels can aspirate formula if held in the wrong position or if they are allowed to drink too quickly. The formula enters their lungs and the moisture allows infection to set in. So if you're trying to determine whether your baby has pneumonia, watch this video. It is crucial to put a squirrel in this condition on antibiotics immediately.

To reassure anyone that has a pneumonia baby, there IS hope! A course of Baytril fixed Fudge right up and he went on to become...

...a champion eater.
    Attachment 157716

...and a champion cuddler (he's the pudgy one)

Attachment 157717
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to MiriamS:

LR (02-10-2018), meganmarire (04-28-2016)

Default Re: Pneumonia video

this should be a sticky here

Excellent video, Miriam. This will answer a LOT of questions. Please remember that other symptoms of pneumonia include:

Gradual LOSS OF APPETITE (the baby can't breathe when he tries to eat, so he stops eating...)

LETHARGY

COLD TO THE TOUCH, can't retain body heat.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

thank you so much miriam!!!! such an excellent idea to film this .... can imagine how worried you were anyway but i'm so glad you thought to film it for future reference.....

and i'm so glad that you told us that he went on to become a pudgy champion eater and cuddler...... whew... i feel better ... that sound is so heartbreaking..... thanks

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

wonderful information!!! I agree should be a sticky!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cuteascnb
    wonderful information!!! I agree should be a sticky!!!
    it is.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
    it is.

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
    it is.
    Miriam great work.
    IR, I got home from Costco and WOW... my wish was already a sticky. Love TSB!!!!

Akashia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MiriamS View Post
    This is a good example of a baby squirrel with pneumonia. This can happen due to exposure but more importantly due to improper feeding technique. Squirrels can aspirate formula if held in the wrong position or if they are allowed to drink too quickly. The formula enters their lungs and the moisture allows infection to set in. So if you're trying to determine whether your baby has pneumonia, watch this video. It is crucial to put a squirrel in this condition on antibiotics immediately.

To reassure anyone that has a pneumonia baby, there IS hope! A course of Baytril fixed Fudge right up and he went on to become...

...a champion eater.
    Attachment 157716

Attachment 157717
    Where do you watch the video? Can't seem to find it.

Click on the picture.

Akashia Guest

Thanks. Was wanting to watch so I know what to look for if this does happen. So far mine are all doing good. Have had a few aspirations but nothing serious. Held them upside down with them sneezing and me wiping their nose with every one (think I read the post on here somewhere). No more than about 3 sneezes though. I am glad mine are all breathing good. Other than the antibiotic what else can you do if they do get it? Want to make sure how to treat it if it ever does happen. I hope not, but it's good to have the information if ever needed.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Akashia from:

LR (02-10-2018)

You can gently give a quick suck on their nose if it happens. Then wipe it off, so they don't breathe back in.

Akashia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    You can gently give a quick suck on their nose if it happens. Then wipe it off, so they don't breathe back in.
    Would one of those nasal bulb things you use for babies to get the snot/formula out of their nose work? It does pretty much the same thing. Wonder if that would work better. I think you would have a little more control over how much and how quick. What about a medicine dosing dropper? The pic is an old one I have. Can't remember why I got it. Could probably use one smaller, like from the Gas X, Tylenol, or something similar. That's what came to mind when I read your post. I would test it on something like a straw or piece of cloth first. I will test out the dropper through but it is the only one I have will try it on a piece of rag or towel and an old t shirt. The hole in the end is about the same size as the whole tip of a 1cc syringe maybe someone with something smaller can try that as well as the bulb. You can get them pretty small. Again that was what came to mind. I'm not going to use it on the babies till I have more input on it.
    Name:  IMG_0445.jpg
Views: 1409
Size:  693.4 KB Name:  Unknown.jpeg
Views: 1331
Size:  4.7 KB

Thank you so much for sharing!! I have a question along these lines....my 9 week old "snorts" every now and again while she is playing or sitting around. It is like she is clearing her nose out. There is no clicking or any other noises when she breathes, she eats like a champ, runs and jumps like a champ, but just every now and again blows air out her nose. There is no discharge or anything out of the ordinary either. Is this something to be concerned about since she is doing fine otherwise, or just keep an eye on it?

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Soccerspit from:

LR (02-10-2018)

Hold her to your ear and listen for the clicking, but she is probably just fine.

The snorting could be just about anything, as long as not accompanied by discharge (or clicking) it likely is just small particales irritating her nose when she is sniffing around.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

LR (02-10-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Hold her to your ear and listen for the clicking, but she is probably just fine.

The snorting could be just about anything, as long as not accompanied by discharge (or clicking) it likely is just small particales irritating her nose when she is sniffing around.
    No clicking!! I am hoping it is nothing. Thanks for the response!!

I cannot get this video to load... lots of popups.. and video never starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Javarat View Post
    I cannot get this video to load... lots of popups.. and video never starts.
    Can't get it to play now either.
    Not great videos but you can hear and get an idea of the click sound here on these two:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...C&&FORM=VRDGAR

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...4&&FORM=VRDGAR

If you even suspect aspiration pneumonia please post in the emergency section for immediate medication help!
    There is a short window for treating aspiration pneumonia as it can take them down and out quickly!
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Grinderhead (02-10-2018)

Is that rear leg shake normal behavior or a sign of sicknesses??

...a champion eater.
    Attachment 157716

Attachment 157717

I have a little pinky that I'm worried about pneumonia with. I hear a slight clicking just when he eats and maybe for a minute after then it stops. I can't quite tell if it's his breathing or his mouth making the noise. Should I be worried? If so, is it safe to give him baytril at such a young age?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast