Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pneumonia video

Kebtaz Guest

Smile Re: Pneumonia video

just click on the pic and it will start

ablissful1 Guest

Default Re: Pneumonia video

By chance is there a video for proper feeding techniques at various ages?

Hi Ablissful1
    You need to look in the,
    The Baby Squirrels Questions.Feeding Baby Squirrels.
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=20628
    IR has it posted and it is a STICKY! (This is meaning it stays at the Top all the time.)
    Never Feed a Cold or Dehydrated Baby. Never Feed them on their Back or Leaning back. They Aspirate to easy. Always feed while holding them on a Pillow, or a Counter Top. Just until you get the hang of it.
    Keep the Baby wrapped up like a Burrito to keep them warm.
    Now What Kind of Squirrel do you have? Are you having any Problems? Are you feeding FoxVally 32/40? Esbilac is no longer Recommended for Feeding Baby Squirrels. To many were DIEING.
    Do you have a Gram scale to weigh the Baby, and a Heating Pad to keep them warm?
    If you could start a thread, Post some Pictures, and the Weight. We can help you with the Age of the Baby. (That is if you do not know.) We are hear to help You in any way. We just care about the Baby Squirrels.
    Hear are a few cites you can order Supply's for feeding a Baby. Henry's can get the FV shipped out within 3 days. (Usually)
    http://henryspets.com
    http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/
    http://foxvalleynutrition.com/main/prod.asp
    Good Luck and Welcome to The Squirrel Board!!!

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mrs Skul from:

CRPSWarrior (04-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by deanna
    The video wont show up? is there a link?
    I don't see a link either.

Maybe someone could either add back the link or change the name of the thread.

JessieF Guest

question, not that my babies are sick, but can you sub out baytril for tylan?

Quote Originally Posted by JessieF
    question, not that my babies are sick, but can you sub out baytril for tylan?
    Baytril is an antibiotic, and do you mean Tylenol?
    If so, tylenol is a pain reliever. But we never give that to squirrels.
    BUT you can give squirrels infant ibuprofen, it's dosed by their weight.

JessieF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York
    Baytril is an antibiotic, and do you mean Tylenol?
    If so, tylenol is a pain reliever. But we never give that to squirrels.
    No, not tylenol, and I would never
    It's called Tylan, and it's sold at Tractor Supply Companies, and it's also an AB for respiratory. Anyone know anything about it for squirrels?

Quote Originally Posted by JessieF
    No, not tylenol, and I would never
    It's called Tylan, and it's sold at Tractor Supply Companies, and it's also an AB for respiratory. Anyone know anything about it for squirrels?
    Tylan is the brand name for tylosin related to erythromycin, clarithromycin, and azithromycin.
    It's known as an antibiotic that belongs to the macrolide class, better known as treatment for colitis and chronic diarrhea.
    Tylan is made up of Streptomyces fradiae, which is a bacterium. It contains anti- inflammatory properties and acts as a soothing agent for the large intestine and is mainly used for managing diarrhea and normal gut bacteria when it's been disrupted by the use of antimicrobial administration.

It is not listed among WMB's antibiotic/antimicrobials reference guide.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

CRPSWarrior (04-03-2022)

JessieF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone
    Tylan is the brand name for tylosin related to erythromycin, clarithromycin, and azithromycin.
    It's known as an antibiotic that belongs to the macrolide class, better known as treatment for colitis and chronic diarrhea.
    Tylan is made up of Streptomyces fradiae, which is a bacterium. It contains anti- inflammatory properties and acts as a soothing agent for the large intestine and is mainly used for managing diarrhea and normal gut bacteria when it's been disrupted by the use of antimicrobial administration.

It is not listed among WMB's antibiotic/antimicrobials reference guide.
    Good to know and thanks for the answer!

Would squirrels that have pneumonia throw up?

Not likely. Vomiting is almost always a sign of some toxin having been ingested -- either in their food or some household object they got into and chewed on..

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

CRPSWarrior (04-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Not likely. Vomiting is almost always a sign of some toxin having been ingested -- either in their food or some household object they got into and chewed on..

Unless it is accompanied by NO POOP. Vomiting with no poop is usually an intestinal blockage of some kind.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

CRPSWarrior (04-03-2022)

I wish there was a way for me to find out what it was? We were always so careful.. He was only ever allowed out in one room, which has no chemicals in there because that is the room we have our ferrets cage in and they get into everything.. Could it have been like a bad acorn? (not sure if thats possible but i saw the other post about how chestnuts can be bad0.

Quote Originally Posted by knightsoul View Post
    I wish there was a way for me to find out what it was? We were always so careful.. He was only ever allowed out in one room, which has no chemicals in there because that is the room we have our ferrets cage in and they get into everything.. Could it have been like a bad acorn? (not sure if thats possible but i saw the other post about how chestnuts can be bad0.
    ABSOLUTELY. If you cut an acorn open you will see that they are very similar to chestnuts - the texture is almost like fibrous raw potato, not like a normal nutmeat. They are "wet" nuts - lots of moisture in them and THAT is the problem. We have seen several on here get ill and die from bad acorns.

This year was a "no acorn" year where I am, so I did not gather any. Normally this is what I do: I spread a tarp on the ground under one of the oaks in the evening, and the next morning I gather the nuts that have fallen from the tree the night before - that way I don't get any that have been sitting on the ground for any length of time. I go through them, discard any that are cracked or have holes, then I wash them and spread them out to dry for about 24 hours. Then I freeze them and keep them frozen until I need them.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

CRPSWarrior (04-03-2022)

So sad that is probably what it was then... Feel so awful now.. Do you think I could've done anything to save him if that was what went wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by knightsoul View Post
    So sad that is probably what it was then... Feel so awful now.. Do you think I could've done anything to save him if that was what went wrong?
    I am so sorry for your baby. Some years ago I was involved in an emergency thread with some people who had two squirrels, brother and sister, that suddenly started vomiting. We brainstormed like crazy and were finally able to narrow it to (likely) bad acorns. About the only thing you can do is try to flood the animal with hydration and hope that between the vomiting and extra urination that you can get enough of the mold toxins, usually aflatoxins, flushed out of the body before they do too much damage. It depends on so much - like how much did they eat, how soon after did the vomiting start, etc. They were only able to pull one of their babies through - she was the more submissive of the two and very likely got less of the bad acorn than her brother did. If you read the thread Jackie linked to in the Chestnut post, you will see probably the most experienced person on the board with lots of medical knowledge and good vets who was unable to help one of her babies and the other only survived after months in intensive care.

Again, I am so sorry about your baby - it is obvious you guys loved him, and we all KNOW how it feels to lose one of these little gems. Being on this board and participating in the emergency threads has had the result of making me EXTREMELY cautious about everything I provide, and there are many items that other members feed freely that I will not because of it.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

CRPSWarrior (04-03-2022)

It's also good to have some activated charcoal on hand.

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to farrelli from:

CRPSWarrior (04-03-2022)

Activated charcoal?

Yes, it's not regular charcoal, it's specially made to absorb toxins. Hospitals and vets everywhere have it to treat ingestion of toxins. It has to be given quickly though, after about two hours its effectiveness is nill as whatever could be absorbed probably already has been. You can buy it at drug stores, usually in the vitamin isle, or just ask the pharmacist.

Sometimes it's also good to have ipecac on hand too in case they should be made to vomit it up. Sometimes you're supposed to, sometimes not. Depends on the toxin.

Both are great if you have children too.

phillysquirrels Guest

Thank you Miriam,
    I cried watching this. I am so glad he is doing great!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast