Thread: Amoxicillin Dosing for Aspiration

Exclamation Amoxicillin Dosing for Aspiration

Hello, recently a baby squirrel was attacked by ducks and abandoned by his mother. He is less than 5 days old as his eyes and ears are completely shut and he is all pink. So far he has been recovering well except for clicking, which obviously is the sign for pneumonia. I have Amoxicillin capsules that are 500 mg each and I was wondering how much to dose the baby. He weighs 5/8oz or about 17.7 grams. Also do you have any other tips? He is on Esbilac and receiving it from a 1cc syringe in an upright position. Should I maybe double the dose of antibiotics for the first day? And now that the baby is hydrated and off of pedialyte, should he still receive water in conjunction with the formula?
    Thank you!

Default Re: Amoxicillin Dosing for Aspiration

I will dose for the amoxicillin to get him on an antibiotic, but please please please search and see if you can find anyone who has clavamox/Augmentin or baytril/cipro.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Default Re: Amoxicillin Dosing for Aspiration

I wonder how your little baby is doing?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Exclamation Re: Amoxicillin Dosing for Aspiration

I have a 3 week old eastern grey weighing 50 grams she started making a clicking noise and I’m scared it’s pneumonia all I have on hand is 250mg amoxicillin in pill form I can open the pill and it has powder in the inside I need help on finding the right dosage!! ****Can someone please help!? ***