Thread: What does chirping mean?

Default What does chirping mean?

My squirrels will sometimes perch themselves up high and chirp like a bird. What does this mean?

Brodi started chirping like crazy then ran and hid. He was on our screened lanai in his tree while I was standing beside him. Soon after some raccoons in the preserve behind our home started fighting. Is the chirp a warning cry?

Does one chirp mean something different than a series of chirps?

Still trying to get to know their lingo. :wott

Default Re: What does chirping mean?

They have a number of alarm calls -- chirps, barks, a buzzy growl, a high-pitched whine. Your little guy was definitely upset about those raccoons. Once they go into "alarm mode" they may continue for 15-20 mins and you can't stop them. Enjoy.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

virgo062 Guest

Squirrel and coonies

How cute. I loved the YouTube video. My squirrels have a big tree in my covered lanai so they are well protected against what is going on in the preserve but I would imagine that they can still sense, hear and smell the things happening outside their area.

I'm a worrier so every time they cry, chirp or seem in distress I scoop them up and put them in my squirrel coat (jacket/robe) sooth them and make sure that they are okay.

Sometimes they resist this because they are approaching 12 wks but sometimes they are thankful and will curl up and take a nice little nap in my jacket. I like it when they do that. I've had them before their eyes opened and believe I will keep them unless they tell me otherwise.

Right now they do not like me out of their site and cling on me like the mother tree.

They own my heart. Who would have thought???

Quote Originally Posted by Pennyorf

They own my heart. Who would have thought???
    um.....everybody on this Board.....
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Rocky's momma Guest

re pennyorf: I am new to this forum and a new squirrel mom & my squirrel chirps like a bird too sometimes! I think what mine wants is that she's hungry and/or wants out of her pen to hang out with me. It's gotten to be our thing where, after I feed her, she'll snuggle into the crook of my arm, under my armpit area, or in the pocket of my hoodie! I can walk around for hrs, vacuum, do other things, and doesn't faze her!

I 've only had her about a month, and she's probably about 8-9 weeks old, and I've raised her since before eyes opened(my husband found her shivering in his mom's yard across the street, & said look on internet & find out how to take care of her. Thank God for the squirrel sites, b/c I've never raised such a little animal, let alone a squirrel!) She has grown & healthy & is such a joy! I can't imagine being without her-I just fell in love with her the 1st week! You get a bond when you are feeding it it like a baby.

My husband broke down & built her a nice pen when he realized I wasn't gonna give her up. He'd sometimes roll his eyes when I'd say look how cute she is! and then remind him HE'S the one that brought her to me

Oh well I've gone on too long here-I'm excited to be on here and talk "squirrel talk" with other squirrel lovers! (I guess that means we're all a little nutty )

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky's momma
    re pennyorf: I am new to this forum and a new squirrel mom & my squirrel chirps like a bird too sometimes! I think what mine wants is that she's hungry and/or wants out of her pen to hang out with me. It's gotten to be our thing where, after I feed her, she'll snuggle into the crook of my arm, under my armpit area, or in the pocket of my hoodie! I can walk around for hrs, vacuum, do other things, and doesn't faze her!

I 've only had her about a month, and she's probably about 8-9 weeks old, and I've raised her since before eyes opened(my husband found her shivering in his mom's yard across the street, & said look on internet & find out how to take care of her. Thank God for the squirrel sites, b/c I've never raised such a little animal, let alone a squirrel!) She has grown & healthy & is such a joy! I can't imagine being without her-I just fell in love with her the 1st week! You get a bond when you are feeding it it like a baby.

My husband broke down & built her a nice pen when he realized I wasn't gonna give her up. He'd sometimes roll his eyes when I'd say look how cute she is! and then remind him HE'S the one that brought her to me

Oh well I've gone on too long here-I'm excited to be on here and talk "squirrel talk" with other squirrel lovers! (I guess that means we're all a little nutty )

You are not alone! I get the eye roll since day ONE but........ My husband is coming around. I catch him playing with DoDa when he thinks I am not looking and he talks baby talk to him. I haven't said anything to him about knowing he does this cause I don't want him to stop :-) They for sure grab your fast and hang on tight. :-)