Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malocclusion

Default Malocclusion

Warning: do not attempt this, this picture is just to show the ailment.

Pa. licenced Rehabber

Twirly Squirly Squirrel Guest

Default Re: Malocclusion

OOOOOWWWWWW...Rippie, what's up with THAT? Is that a tooth problem or something? Please forgive my denseness, but it looks like somebody's getting his teeth clipped there...is that correct?

Squirrel could not eat or drink properly. Her incisors were not properly aligned because of malocclusion caused by a cleft palate. Incisors were overgrown preventing her from chewing, swallowing or closing her mouth properly.
    I believe this can also happen when the squirrel can't grind down its teeth.

Pa. licenced Rehabber

Thanx 4 the info....poor baby!! Don't ever hafta worry 'bout me attempting THAT at home though....I can't even bring myself to trim the dogs' toenails!!!

My Squirrelie has a simular problem. When he was very young he took to chewing on his cage bars relentlessly. He was hardly ever in it but he wanted his mommy (me). He ground them down to mere stubs and even passed the root mark. Now they won't grow back. He can't grind his teeth obvioously s now the upper ones will grow long and need trimming. I trim them about once a month. Luckily this is the tamest squirrel you ever seen. He does cry alot though. I have read that this doesn't hurt them but it sure freaks them out. It is neccessary and essential for life though. It is like taking a child to the dentist. They will cry all the way but it is neccessary for their health.

In the photo Isee that they have two people working on the guy. Lucky people. I have to go it alone. I have to hold him in one hand and cut with the other. not easy. What does help is wrapping him in a towel and making a squirrelito out of him. This will help A LOT! It keeps him from squirrming. You want to eliminate any movement possible. If he move while cutting he might have further problems.

Take a look at your other squirrels teeth that are normal for propper length. What is also important, look at the angle of the upper incisors. you want to cut the teeth at an angle as much as possible. If in dout, it is best to cut too little rather than too much.

p.s.

the wood dowel in the photo above is not to keep the mouth open but to keep the tounge (sp?)back. You deffinitly want to watch out for that.

SF we should note that your squirrel is much more passive than the normal squirrel.
    And only a profesional should be doing that. I just posted the picture because it is a problem for squirrels.

Pa. licenced Rehabber

yeah, I did. I can't even immagine what this would be like with an adult wild. I think I could do it. If I can get adult wilds to sit in my lap and fall asleep during their pettin's. I can do it. I am being very optomistic here. The squirrelito would make a HUGE difference.

Squirrelito? Like as in a burrito?

henrismom Guest

Post Re: Malocclusion

Rippie, Thanks for the photo and all the info here.....henri will get his teeth checked tonight....He will let me look in his mouth and at his teeth, going to
    check them out real good.....I don't think that he would let me do anything to
    him and I would not have the nerve to try.....would need the help of a professional.
    I have seen here about teeth growing, that is what I try to give him so much
    to chew on to keep those teeth down....

Good job Henrismom!

Pa. licenced Rehabber

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo is offline Licensed rehabber specializing in squirrels and bunnies, Ohio

Great pictures Rippie! I hope I never get a squirrel with malocclusion! I would never try to do it myself, I bet the squirrels go crazy when they see you coming at their teeth! I had a hard enough time rubbing ointment on my black squirrels chest when she got mange last year, I couldn't imagine trimming her teeth!
    SQUIRRELS RULE AND BUNNIES TOO!

Me neither I need my skin attached to my body!!

Pa. licenced Rehabber

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly Squirly Squirrel
    Squirrelito? Like as in a burrito?
    Yep. Wrap the squirrel in a towel burrito style. It restrains them well. Keeps them from sticking fingers in there when you are about to cut. also keeps them still enough to do the job acurately. I know this may seem awfull to you guys but it is neccessary. What I do for squirrelie is exactly the same thing the vet would do.

By the way yes, he knows what the clippers are. He runs if he sees me pick them up. Mind you he is much more comfortable once it is over. It doesn't take too long.

One thing to keep in mind is that extremely sharp tools are neccessary here. If you use dull or improper ones it can splinter the teeth instead. It will also take a lot longer than neccessary. Sharp ones will then reduce the stress emmensely by reducing the time and help you get it right the first time.

this is not for the squeemish.

covering their eyes also helps calm them.

I found this photo of a squirrel skull to help understand the angle the teeth need to be cut at. If in dout cut at a little less sharp of an angle so that you don't cut too close to the gums.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks for all the info and the photos, I hope that I won't have to do that to Bell & Noah. I will try to look at their teeth, I'll see if they let me. Its getting hard just to trim their nails. Bell is turning aggressive, I have a hard time cleaning their room, she chases me around.

this one if you notice is because the lower teeth are in front of the upper instead of the other way around. any misalignments can cause this problem. If the teeth don't match up the way they are supposed to they will never be able to grind them down. It is the second photo that I am refering to.

Quote Originally Posted by rippie-n-lilgirlsmom

I believe this can also happen when the squirrel can't grind down its teeth.

Talking Re: Malocclusion

I had a baby boy who had fallen out of his nest and apparently landed right on his nose. What a swollen face!! And I noticed that his top incisors were turned 90 degrees! Working on nothing but a hunch, I made extra sure that he always had something to chew on. Some objects interested him, some didn't but I made sure that he always had a couple things that he would chew on.

Sure enough! His teeth gradually turned back to the normal position! I had to clip them for a while, but eventually my amateur orthodontics did the trick! Biff ended up just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by hazel
    And I noticed that his top incisors were turned 90 degrees!
    What an amazing story. How old was he? And I'm curious: 90 degrees in which direction?
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast