Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Malocclusion

Talking Re: Malocclusion

As I remember, his eyes had been open maybe a week.

I was afraid someone would ask for more re: a description! let's see what I can do with the keyboard.

Anyone have an EtchASketch I can borrow?? White Out? I'm blonde...can you tell?

(l

Ok - you have to turn your head sideways and I want everyone to do it
    simultaneously! The top icon (of my own design) represents a
    normal squirrel mouth. The curve is the lip and the line is the top
    incisors.

The second icon represents Biffs lip and top incisors - which were
    fully turned sideways!
    (-

Hope that explains it better. I am more confused than ever, I think.

squirrly mom Guest

Default Re: Malocclusion

Hi everyone! This is my first day to this site.
    I wanted to put my 2 cents worth in! I have a female with a malocclusion. She is about 10 years old now. I raised her since she was about 1 week old. (She is my baby!) Her name is Tootie. I have to clip her teeth about once every 2 weeks. I found out years after I had had her that she was born with a cleft palate which caused the malocclusion. She doesn't like getting her teeth clipped of course, but she is used to it, and will let me grab her easily when it gets too bad; she knows it helps her to eat.

I have 2 squirrels, both were non-releasable, the other one is a male (neutered) and only a few weeks younger than Tootie. His name is Simon. He is a sweetie! He has seizures, though. I give him phenobarbitol to help control them, but sometimes (a lot of times, actually) he refuses his meds. He is a VERY picky squirrel, he wont even eat ACORNS for goodness sake!)

Both of my squirrels live in a VERY large outdoor cage that is attached to my house so they can come in through the window and visit (and PLUNDER!)
    They used to stay togther, but about 2 years ago we had to separate them because Tootie started picking on Simon. They used to be best of friends. That was sad for us, but their cages are connected, so they still can aggrevate each other

There is also a female squirrel that lives in our yard that was born with a SEVERE malocclusion/cleft palate. I caught her and took her to the vet. She had to have her top front teeth pulled, they were grown about 1/2 inch into her palate. (Poor baby!) I left her bottom teeth alone. Yes, the grow too long, so every couple of months I catch her in a live trap, and in about 5 minutes she has broken them off and I let her go. I keep her (and all the other squirrels in my yard) fed and watered. SO far she has made it to about 1 1/2 years. We are keeping our fingers crosssed! She is a cutie.

I will post pictures once I figure this site out!

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k9...t=100_3501.flv
    Click on the video, this is Peekie she was one of my releases, around the age of 14 weeks. I did not know she had a malocclusion until after she was released and she came back to eat, & always had a hard time chewing.
    If your squirrel chews like this or their teeth look long do not release them and ask for help any where on this website.

Pa. licenced Rehabber

jewels Guest

I , a long time ago, had a bunny with the same problem. We had to clip his teeth. We even had an oral surgeon do a root canal on him hoping it would stop the teeth from growing. Didn't work so had to clip them. He lived a long healthy life in spite of it!

I had no idea, what a darling!
    Life is not measured by how many breaths we take
    But by the Moments that take our breath away
    They Call me….Miss Ellie MaeJ

Simba as a baby
    Click the picture for a short video tribute.

fotheloveofsquirrels Guest

tHAT POOR BABY!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12