Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MBD and the deaf ear...

Default Re: MBD and the deaf ear...

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom
    I think it is not even so much that they consume lots of calcium in the wild, but that they do NOT consume as much phosphorus as they do with many captive diets. It is the relationship between these two elements more than the quantity of the calcium that affects MBD.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Also, captive squirrels will never get as much sunlight as a wild squirrel can and does. They absorb vitamin D from being in the sun, which the body needs to process calcium. There are foods that have vitamin D in them that is part of a healthy squirrel diet (but again, not every squirrel will eat everything you put in front of them, no matter how hard you try.)
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone
    I just don't understand! So many come to TSB asking for help listing a diet that is lacking proper nutrition and void of any rodent block and describing classic symptoms of MBD. Members reach out pointing out that starting the emergency treatment for MBD won't hurt if it's not MBD but can save a life if it is and it just seems to fall on deaf ears. The first trip they want to take is through denial. One would think they were told their squirrel had Leprosy! Too high of a percent of the time we then get to read; She's gone or He's gone! Along with the familiar "they were fine yesterday"...

I give thanks to the kind hearts that rescue these babies and many (as I was myself in the beginning) don't have a clue about a squirrels needs,
    I get that! Unfortunately, MBD is often a result of that lack of knowledge! What I can not comprehend is how anyone can come on this board seeking advice of all the experience that is here and then not really listen to what is being said! I hurt for the squirrel, I get angry for the squirrel!
    Treatment for MBD can be highly effective for a squirrel who has MBD, harmless to one that does not have MBD. MBD kills! MBD is treatable!

There is no room for doubt! And too often... no time!
    I just don't get denial when there is a life that hangs in the balance!

Saved my Sammy for sure!!!
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Even after two + years my girl will turn off eating her block and I'll have to go through the tough love process all over again.
    Sometimes she has even dropped a few grams playing her stubborn role, I do not waver!

I have been going through her selective eating this past week again after I found stashed block.
    I pulled everything except for giving her fresh block, yesterday she barely ate...

I removed the uneaten block last night, this morning when I took her upstairs I didn't give her any food for the first hour or so...
    Then I took her two blocks...
    She about ripped my hand off grabbing for them, growling at me while holding them both at the same time and chowing down!

I will always remain vigilant when it comes to the health and survival of my baby girl... in spite of herself.

You're a good squirrel pappa, step. This is such an important thread and I'm glad you bumped it. Too much MBD around here lately and too much denial, as well.

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

I have never had to deal with this dreaded disease, only have read about it.

Peaches and Finnegan go thru days they will eat block and days they wont.
    Some days they don't want any greens, some days they eat it all.

Cages are cleaned out completely EVERYDAY...No stash EVER!!! This way I know what they eat and how much EVERYDAY!!!

It is hard to force a squirrel to do anything , much less make it eat something it doesn't want to. Some days the block is frozen, some days it is room temp, other days I nuke it 15 seconds and roll in Fox Valley. Variety seems to be the key, they do get bored.

Simon's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzpwo0r35l0

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”
    ― Anatole France

I have just been reading all your comments on this. Very interesting. I came on this forum for help nearly 2 years ago and everyone has been of great help to me and the survival of my squirrel peanut. I must say after feeding her a diet of fruit, veg nuts and home made blocks with added calcium, I have even decided to order blocks from Henrys and I live in the UK so is an expensive diet for my girl!! But of course I will spend the money as she is my baby and i want her to have the best and healthiest life she can have. I would hate her to get MBD and suffer in that way. I have read soooo many awful stories on here of people trying to help these little guys and then developing MBD. I think it can't be talked about enough and if people listen and act on it many squirrel lives can be saved

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
    Too much MBD around here lately and too much denial, as well.
    Yes, definitly is!

Bottom line!
    Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone
    MBD kills! MBD is treatable!

There is no room for doubt! And too often... no time!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12