Thread: MBD and the deaf ear...

Hybrid View

Default MBD and the deaf ear...

I just don't understand! So many come to TSB asking for help listing a diet that is lacking proper nutrition and void of any rodent block and describing classic symptoms of MBD. Members reach out pointing out that starting the emergency treatment for MBD won't hurt if it's not MBD but can save a life if it is and it just seems to fall on deaf ears. The first trip they want to take is through denial. One would think they were told their squirrel had Leprosy! Too high of a percent of the time we then get to read; She's gone or He's gone! Along with the familiar "they were fine yesterday"...

I give thanks to the kind hearts that rescue these babies and many (as I was myself in the beginning) don't have a clue about a squirrels needs,
    I get that! Unfortunately, MBD is often a result of that lack of knowledge! What I can not comprehend is how anyone can come on this board seeking advice of all the experience that is here and then not really listen to what is being said! I hurt for the squirrel, I get angry for the squirrel!
    Treatment for MBD can be highly effective for a squirrel who has MBD, harmless to one that does not have MBD. MBD kills! MBD is treatable!

There is no room for doubt! And too often... no time!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

JayB (10-21-2016)

Default Re: MBD and the deaf ear...

Many visitors to this site, and to other wildlife rehab sites, think rehabbers are nasty or selfish when we insist that squirrels Should Not Be Kept as Pets. What you've stated above is the NUMBER ONE reason behind this opinion: it is far, far too difficult for most people to keep a captive squirrel healthy (even if it is happy and chooses to stay with its human companion). Yes, it can be done, but it is difficult and expensive, and MOST PEOPLE WILL NOT KEEP IT UP.

And of course, the squirrel is the one who suffers.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone
    I just don't understand! So many come to TSB asking for help listing a diet that is lacking proper nutrition and void of any rodent block and describing classic symptoms of MBD. Members reach out pointing out that starting the emergency treatment for MBD won't hurt if it's not MBD but can save a life if it is and it just seems to fall on deaf ears. The first trip they want to take is through denial. One would think they were told their squirrel had Leprosy! Too high of a percent of the time we then get to read; She's gone or He's gone! Along with the familiar "they were fine yesterday"...

I give thanks to the kind hearts that rescue these babies and many (as I was myself in the beginning) don't have a clue about a squirrels needs,
    I get that! Unfortunately, MBD is often a result of that lack of knowledge! What I can not comprehend is how anyone can come on this board seeking advice of all the experience that is here and then not really listen to what is being said! I hurt for the squirrel, I get angry for the squirrel!
    Treatment for MBD can be highly effective for a squirrel who has MBD, harmless to one that does not have MBD. MBD kills! MBD is treatable!

Excellent point. As you said, start the treatment if the diet is in question AT ALL. Then, we must look for other answers too by continuing to question the poster. I do remember last year, there was someone who came on with the symptoms of MBD and they started the treatment, but through continued questioning the squirrel had actually eaten a bite of a poisonous plant.
    So bottom line, start the treatment, but we must continue to question. This way we can eliminate other possibilities.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

you are not talking to deaf ears here SS...
    I know exactly what you are saying...as I am usually the one that holds them during their last seizure..
    hell yes I understand...yes, I sadly understand..

and IR is sooo right...
    they tell us what they think we want to hear...
    seldom do I get the truth until I explain why, on what has been the diet of a sq in full blown fading fast seizure statis...
    heart breaking...

these sqs have taught me sooo sooo much...
    about alot of things

ninjasteve Guest

i hope none of you take this like im upset about this thread as im not but speaking on mine and my wife's behalf MBD did not fall on deaf ears with us... we are the ones who own nutty and through this wonderful forum with such wonderful experienced people we were able to pretty much pin point the fact that he has MBD... was it our fault that we didnt research a while ago on how to properly feed a squirrel to make sure he/she has enough calcium and the right foods? yes and we apologize, we just figured ok, fruits, veggies and nuts..what else??... what we thought was healthy , really wasnt... we wish we could turn back the time and have done it right.....with all of your help and more exclusively nancy's and kim's , nutty is doing a lot better and hopefully in no time will be right back to his self again... and from here on out, we will def be feeding him with proper nutrition... we will never ever go through this again..its been very stressful on us...we dont ever want to lose our little boy...he is 4..and has many more years left of happiness with us..
    im glad you did put this up here because hopefully the information on this bad disease will get out there more to others who are not that knowledgeable and who own these cute little ones and will help prevent all of this ...
    and although i do love this board, it can be very very confusing at times on what to do and not to do etc etc..it can send your head spinning.. but this is a good thread that was posted and im glad replied to it.. i hope no one gets offended.. i just wanted to let you all know sometimes it doesn't necessarily fall on deaf ears...people join here in hopes to reaching out to all of you for some dire help to save their little ones...and sometimes its too late..it saddens me greatly when that happens... keep up the good work everyone
    thanks

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

nutty's mommy and daddy...
    my first sq has MBD...he is 9.5 years old.
    I am amazed NOW that I did not kill him...
    his symptoms did not show until he was about the same age as nutty.
    WE are here for you, I for one feel your pain and believe in your unselfish and truthful request for help.

we all have to start somewhere
    Thank you for loving a sq!

Oh ninjasteve....there is nobody on this board that could possibly be offended by anything that you say. You came on looking for help and have stuck with everything so graciously. You are polite and you want to listen to everyone and that can cause confusion. Everyone has their own opinion as to what has worked for them. I once remember someone asking me who I personally thought the best vet is for their squirrel....I told them, the one that fixes him.

I dare say, you are in good company when you say how you know NOW that you didn't do the right thing with Nutty's diet. Oh Lord, if you only knew half of the stories of people that are now rehabbers, or sub permittees....the mistakes that were made.

The important thing is, (and this is what makes you different)......you came on to learn and look for information. So many times people come on and immediately challenge the people who give the advice. They get attitudes like the people who are trying to help have two heads and are clueless.

There is no doubt that you love Nutty, and that you will continue to do exactly everything that you need to do to get and keep him healthy. You are an absolute pleasure to have on this board. And I know that if you question anything or any advice that you were given by anyone, it is NOT taken personally....you are doing this to learn, and this is how we learn, by asking questions.

I do hope that you and Fawn hang around forever, as you are a real asset to this board.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjasteve
    i hope none of you take this like im upset about this thread as im not but speaking on mine and my wife's behalf MBD did not fall on deaf ears with us... we are the ones who own nutty and through this wonderful forum with such wonderful experienced people we were able to pretty much pin point the fact that he has MBD... was it our fault that we didnt research a while ago on how to properly feed a squirrel to make sure he/she has enough calcium and the right foods? yes and we apologize, we just figured ok, fruits, veggies and nuts..what else??... what we thought was healthy , really wasnt... we wish we could turn back the time and have done it right.....with all of your help and more exclusively nancy's and kim's , nutty is doing a lot better and hopefully in no time will be right back to his self again... and from here on out, we will def be feeding him with proper nutrition... we will never ever go through this again..its been very stressful on us...we dont ever want to lose our little boy...he is 4..and has many more years left of happiness with us..
    im glad you did put this up here because hopefully the information on this bad disease will get out there more to others who are not that knowledgeable and who own these cute little ones and will help prevent all of this ...
    and although i do love this board, it can be very very confusing at times on what to do and not to do etc etc..it can send your head spinning.. but this is a good thread that was posted and im glad replied to it.. i hope no one gets offended.. i just wanted to let you all know sometimes it doesn't necessarily fall on deaf ears...people join here in hopes to reaching out to all of you for some dire help to save their little ones...and sometimes its too late..it saddens me greatly when that happens... keep up the good work everyone
    thanks
    Most uninformed people would think Squirrel = nuts, veggies, fruit. Without any experience or knowledge who would even think let alone know a thing about a squirrel and calcium?? No 'one I know, so don't beat yourself up about what you didn't know. Instead, give yourself credit for researching what you know now and acting on it. No, you didn't turn a deaf ear, your baby is no longer suffering. That's the whole point here. You came, you asked, you listened AND acted on it! This was certainly not about you or Nutty, I could only wish there were more like you.

mpetys Guest

Perhaps after Nutty has recovered, ninjasteve and nuttys mama will stick around. Their story and Nutty's thread could be what helps convince another new person with a possible MBD squirrel that this is truly serious and that everyone here just cares about the squirrel getting better.

What some new people do not realize is that TSB is a work in progress, made up of volunteers; sometimes losing members because they no longer need help, but along the way, adding new members that want to give back and help other people and their squirrels.

[QUOTE=Jackie in Tampa]you are not talking to deaf ears here SS...
    I know exactly what you are saying...as I am usually the one that holds them during their last seizure..
    hell yes I understand...yes, I sadly understand..

Realizing all the sacrifices you have made and continue to make, all the ones in your care, all the ones that have come and gone...
    I not only see your words, I feel your emotions! I know you understand!

I just don't get denial when there is a life that hangs in the balance!

Saved my Sammy for sure!!!
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Even after two + years my girl will turn off eating her block and I'll have to go through the tough love process all over again.
    Sometimes she has even dropped a few grams playing her stubborn role, I do not waver!

I have been going through her selective eating this past week again after I found stashed block.
    I pulled everything except for giving her fresh block, yesterday she barely ate...

I removed the uneaten block last night, this morning when I took her upstairs I didn't give her any food for the first hour or so...
    Then I took her two blocks...
    She about ripped my hand off grabbing for them, growling at me while holding them both at the same time and chowing down!

I will always remain vigilant when it comes to the health and survival of my baby girl... in spite of herself.

You're a good squirrel pappa, step. This is such an important thread and I'm glad you bumped it. Too much MBD around here lately and too much denial, as well.

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

I have never had to deal with this dreaded disease, only have read about it.

Peaches and Finnegan go thru days they will eat block and days they wont.
    Some days they don't want any greens, some days they eat it all.

Cages are cleaned out completely EVERYDAY...No stash EVER!!! This way I know what they eat and how much EVERYDAY!!!

It is hard to force a squirrel to do anything , much less make it eat something it doesn't want to. Some days the block is frozen, some days it is room temp, other days I nuke it 15 seconds and roll in Fox Valley. Variety seems to be the key, they do get bored.

Simon's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzpwo0r35l0

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”
    ― Anatole France

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
    Too much MBD around here lately and too much denial, as well.
    Yes, definitly is!

Bottom line!
    MBD kills! MBD is treatable!