Thread: Injured Adult Squirrel

Default Injured Adult Squirrel

I have an adult female squirrel with probable spine injury. What can I do? I found her in the grass a little bit ago. She's one of the wild squirrels I feed. She is nursing, I heard babies in the tree she was under calling out. I have prednisone 2.5 mg tabs.

Name:  GIGI.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  95.0 KB

Default Re: Injured Adult Squirrel

Can you get the babies and bring them to her?
    Can you get a weight on her and we can dose the pred. What is strength of pred?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

If the babies are calling out it is probably past dinner time. If you can’t get them out they might start looking for mom and falling out. Do you have any gabapentin? What are the symptoms of possible spinal injury. Any seizures? Keep her warm but not hot in case there is head trauma.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

She passed away about 20 minutes ago. I can't get to the babies from where I think they are. About 30 minutes before I found her I heard baby cries up in my neighbor's tree. I found mom on the way to taking my grandson to the neighbors for his car pool ride to school. My heart hurts on this one, this squirrel has been around for a couple of years, I've hand fed her and her litters of babies. My neighbor and I will be keeping a diligent eye out for any little ones. Where they are is in a knot in the tree about 20+ feet up.

This is the second squirrel this week with a spinal injury. Besides gabapentin what should I try to have on hand for just in case?
    I'm going to order some Fox Valley formula after posting this for just in case.
    The rehabber in my area that helps me with medical issues is gone for the next week out of town.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to JoeysMom from:

Nancy in New York (09-16-2019)

I am sorry. RIP momma. Do you think they are hbc? Is there any chance someone is shooting them with a BB gun ? Tramadol is a good pain med and of course antibiotics for infection. Can you feel a spot on their spine that you think is causing the problem? It is odd to think there were two that had the same symptoms. Any chance of poisoning?
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    I am sorry. RIP momma. Do you think they are hbc? Is there any chance someone is shooting them with a BB gun ? Tramadol is a good pain med and of course antibiotics for infection. Can you feel a spot on their spine that you think is causing the problem? It is odd to think there were two that had the same symptoms. Any chance of poisoning?
    I don't think so. I think the first one a dog got to her and shook her. The second, there are a few squirrels living in the tree she was, it has off shoot trunks from the main trunk with lots of safe knots, there are squabbles in it often so I'm guessing she was part of a squabble that caused her to fall. I do have Tramadol and prednisone on hand as well as a little bit of clav-mox and bactrim.

In the first moments before trying to catch her, not that she was running anywhere but out of fear she did contort and her body did flop with her trying to get away. Before this squirrel passed she did stretch out a couple of times but very stiffly which could possibly be a seizure. I've never experience any animal in a seizure but it would make sense. I didn't feel anything abnormal in her back but she wasn't using her limbs. I didn't see any visible signs of BB shots or injuries and my neighbors love the squirrels about as much as I do but I can't know for certain if it was poison or not. I just buried her in my back yard. This one was special to me.