Thread: Emergency Treatment of Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD)

Default Emergency Treatment of Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD)

Emergency Treatment for Metabolic Bone Disease (updated 3-31-09)

Get calcium into the squirrel IMMEDIATELY, not later, not tomorrow, NOW. Delaying treatment can cause death or permanent paralysis.

You will need:

--Tums or calcium pills (any kind)
    --a syringe, eyedropper, or spoon

Crush one Tums or calcium pill and add a little water or fruit juice. Use the syringe, eyedropper, or spoon to force-feed the mixture, a little at a time, until it is all gone. Feed a total of 600-800 mg of calcium, and spread it out through the day and night to keep his blood calcium levels as steady as possible.

If the squirrel is having seizures, weakness, or paralysis, the symptoms will usually improve within a few hours, but this does not mean the squirrel is cured. It will take many months to rebuild the calcium in the bones.

Long-Term Treatment for MBD

The next step to curing MBD is to fix the diet.

1. Remove ALL seeds, nuts, corn, and treats.

2. Follow the Healthy Diet For Pet Squirrels, which can be found at the top of the “Squirrel Nutrition” forum. (http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=16093) Your squirrel MUST eat rodent block or squirrel blocks every day. If your squirrel doesn't like rodent blocks, you can try crushing them up with peanut butter or avocado temporarily. You can also make a tastier version of squirrel blocks using the recipe at the top of the Squirrel Nutrition forum.

3. In addition to the Healthy Diet, you will need to continue giving extra calcium every day for several weeks. Either use the syringe/eyedropper or you can try putting the calcium on a small piece of fruit.

Week 1: calcium = 500 mg per day
    Week 2: calcium = 250 mg per day
    Weeks 3-8: calcium = 100 mg per day

The cause of the acute symptoms—weakness, lethargy, seizures, paralysis—is a drop in blood calcium levels. If these symptoms return at any time, you will need to give another emergency dose of calcium.

More Tips
    MBD causes brittle bones that break easily. Try to keep your squirrel away from high places, where he might jump and break a bone. Also, if he is in a tall cage, either place him in a smaller cage, or pad the bottom very well.

Heat is very soothing for a squirrel with MBD. A heating pad turned to low and placed so they cannot chew the pad or cord, or a rice buddy (a sock filled with dry rice/beans and microwaved for about 20 seconds) will work.

Administration

2. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Administration:

frankc (11-13-2019), LR (09-27-2017), Miss Suzy Joy Button (08-10-2019), prism (10-03-2019), squirrelman#100 (02-20-2023)

Default Re: Emergency Treatment of Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD)

Was wondering where would I find the"tastier block recipe" mentioned in this post?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueyezatl View Post
    Was wondering where would I find the"tastier block recipe" mentioned in this post?
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...l-Block-Recipe
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

prism (10-03-2019)

Henryspets.com has done really good ones too.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to kearnest from:

Nancy in New York (09-28-2017)

squirrelover1 Guest

hello, my squirrel little nugz just became paralyzed less than 24 hours ago. I started the emergency treatment and he perked up right away. what would you think his chances of a full recovery would be? I can't believe how attached you can become to a little squirrel. I wish i had done more research into squirrel diets. I really thought he had a well rounded diet. Didn't know about the peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelover1 View Post
    hello, my squirrel little nugz just became paralyzed less than 24 hours ago. I started the emergency treatment and he perked up right away. what would you think his chances of a full recovery would be? I can't believe how attached you can become to a little squirrel. I wish i had done more research into squirrel diets. I really thought he had a well rounded diet. Didn't know about the peanuts.
    If you FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS he should do okay given how he has responded so far. It took a long time for him to get this way and it will take a long time for him to get better as he will actually be having to grow new bone, which takes a while. You need to whip the diet into shape as well as doing the calcium treatments and then not backslide.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

stepnstone (06-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Blueyezatl View Post
    Henry's wild bites. I order all my blocks from Henry's. They are nutritious, made specifically for squirrels and even the pickiest squirrels LOVE them!!
    Keep them refrigerated, they are fresh and don't have the preservatives found in most blocks. They will mold if left out.

xkimmyboox Guest

I clicked that link and it didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by xkimmyboox View Post
    I clicked that link and it didn't work.
    I clicked on that link just now and it worked for me.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

It doesn’t work for me either. I think it has Admin clearance only.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

lukaslolamaus (10-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    It doesn’t work for me either. I think it has Admin clearance only.
    Don't make sense but here.... let me clear that up.

Homemade Squirrel Block Recipe

(Revised 11/01/11)
    Makes approximately a 4-week supply for a 1-pound squirrel.

Preheat oven to 205 degrees Fahrenheit

Dry ingredients:
    80 g Pure Whey Protein Isolate for adult formula (for growth formula, use 160 g).
    130 g finely ground nuts (any kind; peanuts, pecans, or almonds work well)
    1/3 cup wheat flour (optional)
    1 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
    1 package (45 g) Henry's Healthy Vita-Mins*

Wet ingredients:
    1 whole egg
    1 tsp vanilla or almond extract (optional)
    1/2 cup water, or a little more, as needed (this is for growth formula only; do not add water to the adult formula unless the dough is too dry when mixed)

Instructions:
    Place dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.

Add all the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with a fork until dough sticks together. It will be fairly dry, like pie crust dough. Wearing gloves or with your bare hands (oiled), press the dough down and then start to knead it. Once the dough forms a ball, place it onto a lightly greased surface and knead a few more times until smooth and uniform in color. Roll dough out into a roll or flatten into a square, and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 1 1/2 hours. While still warm, cut into 60 pieces with a sharp knife

Allow the blocks to cool for at least 2 hours. Then place in zip-lock bags and store them in the fridge or freezer. They will keep in the fridge for several weeks. They will keep in the freezer for several months (unopened and with as much air as possible removed from the bag before sealing). Some squirrels enjoy eating them cold or frozen, but you can also put a cold block into the microwave for about 5-10 seconds to warm it up.

Feed 2-3 per day for a 1-pound (453 g) squirrel. Different squirrels will have different energy requirements.

*If you want to make your own vitamin/mineral premix, please consult the Nutrient Requirements of Laboratory Animals-Rats, or one of the standard nutrient profiles for rats, such as those used in commercial rodent blocks.

Copyright 2009 Henry's Healthy Pet Foods, Inc.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

Step, I think that’s the old recipe. Maybe that’s why it is hidden. Too many vitamins in this recipe. I might be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Step, I think that’s the old recipe. Maybe that’s why it is hidden. Too many vitamins in this recipe. I might be wrong though.
    Couldn't find another that retracted that one, they all read the same.
    There are a lot of different suggestions for home made block in the nutrition forums.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...rrel-Nutrition
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

Question Re: Emergency Treatment of Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD)

Quote Originally Posted by Administration View Post
    Emergency Treatment for Metabolic Bone Disease (updated 3-31-09)

Get calcium into the squirrel IMMEDIATELY, not later, not tomorrow, NOW. Delaying treatment can cause death or permanent paralysis.

You will need:

--Tums or calcium pills (any kind)
    --a syringe, eyedropper, or spoon

Crush one Tums or calcium pill and add a little water or fruit juice. Use the syringe, eyedropper, or spoon to force-feed the mixture, a little at a time, until it is all gone. Feed a total of 600-800 mg of calcium, and spread it out through the day and night to keep his blood calcium levels as steady as possible.

If the squirrel is having seizures, weakness, or paralysis, the symptoms will usually improve within a few hours, but this does not mean the squirrel is cured. It will take many months to rebuild the calcium in the bones.

Long-Term Treatment for MBD

The next step to curing MBD is to fix the diet.

1. Remove ALL seeds, nuts, corn, and treats.

2. Follow the Healthy Diet For Pet Squirrels, which can be found at the top of the “Squirrel Nutrition” forum. (http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=16093) Your squirrel MUST eat rodent block or squirrel blocks every day. If your squirrel doesn't like rodent blocks, you can try crushing them up with peanut butter or avocado temporarily. You can also make a tastier version of squirrel blocks using the recipe at the top of the Squirrel Nutrition forum.

3. In addition to the Healthy Diet, you will need to continue giving extra calcium every day for several weeks. Either use the syringe/eyedropper or you can try putting the calcium on a small piece of fruit.

Week 1: calcium = 500 mg per day
    Week 2: calcium = 250 mg per day
    Weeks 3-8: calcium = 100 mg per day

The cause of the acute symptoms—weakness, lethargy, seizures, paralysis—is a drop in blood calcium levels. If these symptoms return at any time, you will need to give another emergency dose of calcium.

More Tips
    MBD causes brittle bones that break easily. Try to keep your squirrel away from high places, where he might jump and break a bone. Also, if he is in a tall cage, either place him in a smaller cage, or pad the bottom very well.

Heat is very soothing for a squirrel with MBD. A heating pad turned to low and placed so they cannot chew the pad or cord, or a rice buddy (a sock filled with dry rice/beans and microwaved for about 20 seconds) will work.

hello board- would any senior members/admin recommend that I supplement my 5.5 wk old w calcium like this to prevent potential MBD? He was fed “crafted in the usa” Petlac (showed same constipation symptoms as Esbilac) for 10 days. he’s been eliminating normally for 2 straight days now but he pretty much distress cries constantly. even in his sleep. so maybe a pain issue... 😞

Yes, I think you should follow the emergency MBD protocol immediately. The additional calcium won’t hurt him if his body doesn’t need it. Is he moving around ok? He could already be suffering from broken bones since he’s crying all the time.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Nancy in New York (10-03-2019)

I neglected to say that PetLac is not recommended because it doesn’t provide the proper nutrients. Your guy is old enough and should be transitioned to Fox Valley 20/50. You can purchase it online from Henrys Pets.
    https://www.henryspets.com/fox-valley-formulas/
    Last edited by stepnstone; 10-03-2019 at 08:22 AM. Reason: added link