Thread: 8 veggies, nuts, and grains with more protein than a burger

Rainy9 Guest

Default 8 veggies, nuts, and grains with more protein than a burger

The food we feed...whats inside it and what are it's benefits? Take a look.

I saw this article on Yahoo earlier and thought it was pretty useful, and not just for the humans that it was intended for, but for our squirrels too.

http://shine.yahoo.com/event/green/8...#photoViewer=1

mpetys Guest

Default Re: 8 veggies, nuts, and grains with more protein than a burger

Quote Originally Posted by Rainy9

I saw this article on Yahoo earlier and thought it was pretty useful, and not just for the humans that it was intended for, but for our squirrels too.

Does the article list out the 8 items or just show the pictures? I didn't see the list of the items. Am I missing something? Thanks for posting this. I want to eat better, healthier and would love to become a vegetarian.

Tickle's Mom Guest

Click on the photos and an article comes up about each veggie.

(I see Gene has a lot of influence over your work schedule Michele)

Quote Originally Posted by Rainy9

thanks, Rainy. Good info.

Just a couple of things:
    * cheeseburgers are not a good comparison as (as acknowledged by the fast-food giants themselves) it's not real meat, it's more of a mystery meat, meaning there is a lot added to it to make up for the mass, and no one knows how much actual 100% meat there is.
    Same goes for pretty much all ground meat - enough soy and other fillers added to make up for mass (including otherwise inedible parts that are ground to create "mass")

*animal products are not just about protein, the issue is more complex than that

*absorbability needs to be considered

* as for peanuts, excess of peanuts (and it will end up being an excess if used as one of the protein replacements) often leads to hypothyrodism (due to interfering with iodine absorbtions and some other things that I don't remember very well right now)
    Given the fact that a typical Western menu is already low on iodine and the ubiquitous stress adversely affects thyroid function, too, even a large amount of peanuts (below excess) might cause thyroid problems.
    And, of course, aflatoxins that are not always removed by roasting.
    As for organic peanuts, the term "organic" is rather vague in the food industry, most of the time it implies no use of pesticides and such, but it does not mean that the peanuts cannot get moldy. Even when they claim that, there is no really way to prove it because the mold does not have to be visible.
    So, when it comes to peanuts - very careful.

*protein requirements vary with activity level
    *with poorer protein absorbability a large amount of carbohydrates can prove harmful

I have no intention of starting a debate over animal products here.
    Just sharing some info.

Quote Originally Posted by Tickle's Mom

(I see Gene has a lot of influence over your work schedule)

michelle if you don't help gene he won't be helping you with the fv fountain that i'm sure you'd like to put in your front yard....

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

mpetys Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gs1
    [/B]

michelle if you don't help gene he won't be helping you with the fv fountain that i'm sure you'd like to put in your front yard....
    You crack me up! BUT, I have approached him about coming up with an automatic formula feeder. Don't laugh. This is the guy who put some electronic parts and a computer to a Craftman table saw. He builds beehives and he likes the finger joints. He can put all four sides of the wood into a jig that is attached to the table saw, and then pull up the program he made me learn to use and run the file I cried over as I learned how to do this and with a push of a button on the computer, the table saw starts running. It pushes the four pieces of wood through the table saw blade, comes back, moves over an inch and does it again and again until all the finger notches are cut. The table saw stops and he takes the four pieces of wood and flips them over and runs it again. When done, he has four pieces of wood that fit together beautifully!

I once asked him if he could put some electronic parts and a computer on to my manuel knitting machine to make it an automatic. He said he could try!!!

So, hmmm, a Fox Valley fountain. Sounds good, but not in the front yard! I would want it out by the release cage. Or maybe small ones in each unit!
    Last edited by mpetys; 04-28-2012 at 08:33 AM.

mpetys Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tickle's Mom

(I see Gene has a lot of influence over your work schedule Michele)
    Can't help it! I'm addicted to all you nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by astra
    there is a lot added to it to make up for the mass, and no one knows how much actual 100% meat there is.

Same goes for pretty much all ground meat
    - enough soy and other fillers added to make up for mass (including otherwise inedible parts that are ground to create "mass")

Exactly! Too bad it's not soy that that's added, but scraps!

And on top of the scrap-parts that are mixed in, there are also chemicals such as ammonia. USDA allows without labeling it.

You should watch this clip from Jamie Oliver on how ground beef is allowed to be processed according to the USDA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wshlnRWnf30

I agree with astra...it's much more complex.

When it comes to protein, it's really a non-issue with regards to getting enough as a vegetarian...
    and even though veg proteins aren't as quickly/easily digested as animal proteins--they are still digestible.

The big issue is: What ELSE comes along for the ride with the protein you choose? Are the 'extras' that come along with that protein harmful or healthful?
    This is a question to ask of all protein sources--animal-based or plant-based. You have to take in to consideration much more than just protein.

For a really easy way to get the latest science in nutrition (without spending lots of money for scientific journals etc), try:

www.nutritionfacts.org

From the website:

NUTRITIONFACTS.ORG is brought to you by the Jesse & Julie Rasch Foundation in partnership with Michael Greger, M.D.
    Dr. Greger scours the world of nutrition-related research, as published in scientific journals, and brings that information to you in short, easy to understand video segments. We also provide links to the original journal articles whenever possible so that you can source the information directly, if you so desire.

The Jesse & Julie Rasch Foundation was established in Toronto, Canada in the year 2000 by Jesse Rasch. Among the objectives of the Foundation is the funding of research into the role of health and nutrition in the prevention and treatment of disease and to ensure that the research results are appropriately disseminated to the medical profession. The Foundation is also striving to educate the public on the enormous role that health and nutrition play in disease prevention.

Here's a sample video (1:30) about the 'package deal' of proteins:
    http://nutritionfacts.org/videos/pla...in-preferable/

That is just one leetle example from the site. There are many videos (see index) and the blog has lots of info, too.

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by mpetys
    You crack me up! BUT, I have approached him about coming up with an automatic formula feeder. Don't laugh. This is the guy who put some electronic parts and a computer to a Craftman table saw. He builds beehives and he likes the finger joints. He can put all four sides of the wood into a jig that is attached to the table saw, and then pull up the program he made me learn to use and run the file I cried over as I learned how to do this and with a push of a button on the computer, the table saw starts running. It pushes the four pieces of wood through the table saw blade, comes back, moves over an inch and does it again and again until all the finger notches are cut. The table saw stops and he takes the four pieces of wood and flips them over and runs it again. When done, he has four pieces of wood that fit together beautifully!

I once asked him if he could put some electronic parts and a computer on to my manuel knitting machine to make it an automatic. He said he could try!!!

So, hmmm, a Fox Valley fountain. Sounds good, but not in the front yard! I would want it out by the release cage. Or maybe small ones in each unit!

OMG OMG OMG...I must have that program for the BF for Christmas. How much? Do I need to drive to FL for it? Do you need my left arm or my right leg? I simply MUST have that program and the details on how to hook it to the table saw. Damn!!!!

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

mpetys Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Milo's Mom
    OMG OMG OMG...I must have that program for the BF for Christmas. How much? Do I need to drive to FL for it? Do you need my left arm or my right leg? I simply MUST have that program and the details on how to hook it to the table saw. Damn!!!!
    I'm supposed to be finding out how to get a patent on it!!!! So I know he won't share it until we do. Sorry. See the handles on the sides of the wood? He made a machine to do that automatically also. He keeps buying table saws on craigslist to make these machines.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.