Thread: My squirrels wont touch their HHB or HT!!

dizzdigia Guest

Default My squirrels wont touch their HHB or HT!!

I have a couple super picky boogers here who refuse to eat their blocks! I think I have tried almost every trick I can think of to make them more enticing so im hoping the more seasoned members will sound off and tell me how they fixed this problem!!

Default Re: My squirrels wont touch their HHB or HT!!

they're all super picky little pain in the butts....

how old are they?

are they still on formula?

if you've given them anything like fruit or nuts they'll become addicted to those foods...

are they eating veggies?

there are other blocks ...like monkey blocks that they might eat

but it might be first of all not feeding anything else but the formula and hhbs or ht.....

maybe a touch of flavouring of formula ...very, very lightly so that they see them as food....

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

Quote Originally Posted by gs1
    if you've given them anything like fruit or nuts they'll become addicted to those foods...
    Some times you have to play TOUGH LOVE and ONLY give them the BLOCKS for a day or two to get them to eat them..... and refrain from giving them any fruit or nuts as mentioned above.

First - remove all their stashes of foods. Then - give them just blocks in the morning and let them take their hunger out on the blocks.

With younger squirrels I found that cutting the blocks into smaller pieces make them more manageable and more attractive as an option for a squirrel.

If the squirrels still refuse to eat the blocks you can cut them into smaller pieces and soak them in FV (or whatever formula you used - assuming they loved it) or smear a tiny bit of peanut butter (or almond butter) on the top of them. They'll lick the pb off - maybe drop them and run away - but they'll come back to them. They'll likely eat them a few nibbles here and there.

My Alice wouldn't eat blocks. She'd lick the almond butter off them and not touch them again. I could starve her for a day or so and she still didn't want blocks. I tried picky-eaters Henry's Blocks and she will eat them. That became my solution. Rocky eats the regular HHBs - a few times with almond butter on them and now he eats them every day (without the almond butter).

You just may have to give them nothing else for a few days to get them to start eating the blocks. It's a hard decision for me to make - at what point is starving the squirrel to get them to eat blocks actually better for them than not eating blocks?

I have found if I crush up my blocks in a tiny bit of vanilla yogurt.....all gone! (For those that won't eat blocks of any kind....but I can usually get my guys to eat both HHB's and mazuri......and yes, formula and blocks first before anything else. They will eat if they realize nothing else is coming down the channel, as they say!
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

My boys ignored the blocks with formula on them, ignored blocks crushed in yogurt or applesauce. They ignored everything until I put a little bit of apple juice on the rodent blocks.

Have you tried Boo Balls? My guys all love them and have done really well. Most all sqs love them. They're made from HT blocks and FV formula.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre
    Have you tried Boo Balls? My guys all love them and have done really well. Most all sqs love them. They're made from HT blocks and FV formula.
    yes boo balls!! gods gift to Squirrels My Mavryc eats block but will no longer touch his FV but once its in a BB its gone within seconds

its a game changer for sure, give it try

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.