Thread: unidentified

Default unidentified

I had a little sample jar of fleas and lice that I had plucked from a new squirrel before I bathed her. I took photos of the fleas (that were posted before) and thought that I would look at all the other stuff in there at a later date. Surprisingly the fleas are still alive but a bit thin now. the lice have all dried up. I was looking at the jar today and I noticed something that looked like a very tiny worm. I didn't pluck anything off of the newbie that resembled this. I am thinking that this is a young flea or lice? I don't know. Anybody here know?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Gabe Guest

Default Re: unidentified

Interesting. I had a biology major volunteering this summer. She was involved in a blind study with squirrels. The only way they were allowed to identify the squirrels was through their parasites. She told me that on average squirrels have up to 5 different internal parasites at any given time. Wonder if that is what you are seeing.

the samples that I had put in the jar were only external. I was just picking off fleas, lice and lice eggs. that was all. My best guess is that it is an egg that hatched or that the fleas laid some after I put them in there. I am guessing flea because they are still alive. barely but alive. I put those things in there on christmas eve.

Gabe, would it be possible for youto ask your vet friend about this one? I would love to identify it so that I can post it on here under the proper subject.

Somebody's Mother Guest

i think they are definitely flea larvae. google for them.
    http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=flea+larvae

You're absolutely right! Thanks! I looked at the photo from the link you sent and it is bang on. I am starting to notice the flea eggs stuck to the glass wall of the sample jar too. I will try to photgraph them too for this site as well. I just hope that I can get them off of the glass without squishing them.

Smile Re: unidentified

loosen them with some water...maye that would help!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rebecca <
    SC Wildlife Rehabilitator
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!