Thread: Question about releasing in fall

Hybrid View

vickyjhnsn Guest

Default Question about releasing in fall

I have three squirrels now that are 8-9 weeks old. I live in North Carolina. I planned to release them in the spring but they seem like they always want out of their cage and feel bad about keeping them caged up the whole winter. The weather here is warm now and the leaves just barely falling off the trees. According to many sites they are usually ready to be released about 12 weeks. Is that correct? That is only a couple of weeks away. They are weaning themselves off the formula, taking less and less each feeding against my better judgement. They are eating henry's blocks and veggies and i will soon be introducing them to nuts and fruit in a week or so.

I was reading online you can release them in the fall but need to feed them all winter. Can you experience rehabbers give me some advice and what you all have done in the past. This is the first bunch of squirrels I have rehabbed and many of you know I have posted her many times for advice. I'm so torn on what to do. I have gotten advice here that says to keep them over winter. Several web sites I have been on say to release them but let them feed and nest in release cage. They seem to want out so bad I just feel bad keeping them all winter.

Right now they are in a large ferret cage. It is not like they are in a small cage with no room to climb. They have their own room so they can be let out to run for an hour or so at a time. I have two more babies that I know have to stay for the winter. Their eyes are just opening now.

I want to do this right. I just got my rehabbers license here in NC and the rehabbers here are torn on the issue.

Please help.

Default Re: Question about releasing in fall

could you build a large outdoor release cage???

rehabbers here are torn too.... 15 weeks too early? no idea...

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

vickyjhnsn Guest

Yes, I have one planned that I am going to put up. Can you please explain what that means 15 weeks too early? I can keep the for the winter, its just that everytime I walk by the cage, they want out. I feel bad for them.

If I build a release cage, a big one, how would I go about releasing them? Should I just keep them out in the big cage outside? That would probably be better for them then in the house don't you think? I would feed them all winter but would I let them out and let them come back and forth? Let them nest in the release cage and eat in the nest cage and just leave the door open for them?

Has anyone ever done this? I would think other animals would get in, like other squirrels. Would it be better to just keep them in the release cage all winter? Don't know what to do and I'd love to hear somebody's experience in this.

If I do keep them in the winter, could someone please tell me what to expect from them. Like I said, I'm new at this and want to know what I'm doing here.

Thank you so much.

Before I say anything, I will make a disclaimer: I am not an expert.

But what I've learned about Fall babies release:

Yes, 12 wks is the age when babies are considered ready for release. The age is chosen because in the wild that's the age when babies emerge from the nest and begin to learn how to be on their own.

A couple of things about differences b/w wild babies and rehabbed babies:
    1. In the wild before 12wks age, babies are raised by their mother squirrel who teaches them squirrelly things
    2. After 12wks of age, even though they emerge out of the nest and begin to explore the outside, they continue to learn a lot of squirrelly things from their mother, how to survive in the wild, how build a nest, how to stand up for yourself, how to stash etc etc etc. Often, while being on their own during the day, they go back to their mother and their "home" nest to sleep.
    Fall babies stay with their mother and siblings in their "home" nest during winter to keep each other warm.

Rehabbed babies do not have their mother squirrel to learn all important squirrelly things. When released, they are truly on their own, not having their mother to continue teach them important survival tips and tricks.
    When Spring babies are released, they catch up and stash enough food during the summer.
    Fall babies have no time to catch up, so it's much tougher for them.
    One of the rehabbers here (sorry, forgot who) quoted from somewhere that Fall babies have about 80% or so survival rate.
    Another thing - you might not be able to support them with food during winter if they end up getting chased out of your backyard/release site by other wilds.

Rehab centres and most rehabbers who rehab dozens and hundreds of squirrels obviously cannot physically overwinter Fall babies. So, they had to pick a certain min. age for release.
    One of the important conditions for Fall release - trees should still have green leaves.
    But a lot individuals and those rehabbers who have room prefer to overwinter Fall babies and release in the spring.

So, you will need to weigh everything and decide.

If you decide to overwinter - there are differ. ways to do that. as far as i remember, some ppl keep them in outside release cage (e.g., porch, basement, garage etc), others - keep them inside. you can post a question as a separate thread and ppl will share.

vickyjhnsn Guest

First, thank you so much for taking the time to help me. Yes, I don't mind keeping them in a release cage over the winter outside but I don't have a garage or carport or anything like that. I don't feel comfortable about letting them out of the cage for the very reason you explained to me. I would worry too much about them not being able to find their way back, getting bullied by the other squirrels, and other animals out there.

This is what I was thinking and I'd love it if someone would tell me what they think. When I build the release cage, I would put a roof on it to protect from rain and snow, etc. I would put the release cage in the woods in back of my house, probably 75 feet away from our house. It will be big enough for me to walk into with the smaller release cage and the nest box inside that smaller release cage. As soon as they are completely off the formula and eating complete solid foods, I would bring the out to the release cage. This way it would still be warm enough to give them time to adapt to the weather gradually. We are still getting 70 - 80 degree weather and by then it varies but it is still warm out. I would spend a great amount of time back there with them so they know I'm still there the first month and after that go every day for short visits a few times a day to check on them, clean up for them, and feed them. There are three of them so they have each other to keep each other warm and I can provide plenty of blankets for them daily.

I also plan on going in the cage and showing them how to bury their nuts, although I think that is instinct because they do that in their cage. I would also provide materials for them to build their own nests and would research what they use and make sure they have it readily available in the release cage. The when spring gets here, going outside will not be a shock to them and they will be itching to get out by then pretty bad.

To me, them being wild animals, I would imagine this is a better solution then keeping them in the house in a room by themselves all winter long with me visiting them to take care of them. They seem to be resentful that they are being caged. That might be my imagination but that is the way it looks to me. They are fine when I let them run the room but the second I put them back in the cage, they get vicious running to my hand to bite me. They just seem pissed off at me.

For those of you who have kept some over the winter in the house, does that work out well for anyone? It just seems like the faster I get them in the "wild" even though its controlled a bit, the better.

Thanks in advance for anything you can share. I really don't know what I would do without this board.

hi Vicky,

Your plan sounds very good, but again, I am not an expert and do not know all the things and details about outdoor overwintering. I remember someone doing something along those lines, but again - do not remember details.

It might be a good idea to post your question in Non-Life Threatening as a separate thread - more ppl will respond faster.
    (i do not think you need to show them how to bury nuts - this knowledge must be inborn in their squirrelly blood )

mpetys Guest

Quote Originally Posted by vickyjhnsn
    First, thank you so much for taking the time to help me. Yes, I don't mind keeping them in a release cage over the winter outside but I don't have a garage or carport or anything like that. I don't feel comfortable about letting them out of the cage for the very reason you explained to me. I would worry too much about them not being able to find their way back, getting bullied by the other squirrels, and other animals out there.

This is what I was thinking and I'd love it if someone would tell me what they think. When I build the release cage, I would put a roof on it to protect from rain and snow, etc. I would put the release cage in the woods in back of my house, probably 75 feet away from our house. It will be big enough for me to walk into with the smaller release cage and the nest box inside that smaller release cage. As soon as they are completely off the formula and eating complete solid foods, I would bring the out to the release cage. This way it would still be warm enough to give them time to adapt to the weather gradually. We are still getting 70 - 80 degree weather and by then it varies but it is still warm out. I would spend a great amount of time back there with them so they know I'm still there the first month and after that go every day for short visits a few times a day to check on them, clean up for them, and feed them. There are three of them so they have each other to keep each other warm and I can provide plenty of blankets for them daily.

I also plan on going in the cage and showing them how to bury their nuts, although I think that is instinct because they do that in their cage. I would also provide materials for them to build their own nests and would research what they use and make sure they have it readily available in the release cage. The when spring gets here, going outside will not be a shock to them and they will be itching to get out by then pretty bad.

To me, them being wild animals, I would imagine this is a better solution then keeping them in the house in a room by themselves all winter long with me visiting them to take care of them. They seem to be resentful that they are being caged. That might be my imagination but that is the way it looks to me. They are fine when I let them run the room but the second I put them back in the cage, they get vicious running to my hand to bite me. They just seem pissed off at me.

For those of you who have kept some over the winter in the house, does that work out well for anyone? It just seems like the faster I get them in the "wild" even though its controlled a bit, the better.

Thanks in advance for anything you can share. I really don't know what I would do without this board.
    Last year I overwintered in my house and on my enclosed front porch. This year, I will have much, much more than I did last year and cannot fathom keeping them in the house all winter. It is not that I don't want them here but I just can't see keeping them in my house cages when I have 5' x 7' x 7' release cages outdoors. Here is a link to the thread on the release cage we built: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...790#post693790

I think my squirrels will be much happier with all that space, fresh air, seeing outdoor activity etc. In case of cold weather, we can put tarps or plywood on the sides to break any cold wind. One of the other reasons for keeping them outside is that it sure is easier to keep their living space clean when they are in the release cage. And even now, I have a hard time opening a door on their indoor cages without one or two pushing their way out. Yes, for me, outdoor seems to be the perfect answer for my guys.

Members who have read this thread: 3