Thread: A Malocclusion/Tooth Trimming idea

Default A Malocclusion/Tooth Trimming idea

Dremel tools really are not the tool for this - even at the slowest speed, a dremel spins way too fast, and will cause burning. They are also crazy loud and scary.

My last bit of vanity that hasn't been thrown overboard over the years is keeping mmy nails looking good. I saw one of these at Sally's the other day - it was on sale for $19 - so I grabbed one. It is designed for nails, and so spins much more slowly and does not have the burn danger. It is operated with (2) AA batteries so it is really very quiet. I don't have to deal with tooth trimming, happily, but after using this thing, I think it might be a handy tool to have if you do. If used frequently enough, the squirrel might get used to it enough that you could give the teeth a quick zip every few days instead of waiting weeks and doing a big clipping. It would also be goos to smooth rough places if you DO clip.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/deluxe-ma...ml?cgid=Nail08

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Default Re: A Malocclusion/Tooth Trimming idea

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom
    Dremel tools really are not the tool for this - even at the slowest speed, a dremel spins way too fast, and will cause burning. They are also crazy loud and scary.

My last bit of vanity that hasn't been thrown overboard over the years is keeping mmy nails looking good. I saw one of these at Sally's the other day - it was on sale for $19 - so I grabbed one. It is designed for nails, and so spins much more slowly and does not have the burn danger. It is operated with (2) AA batteries so it is really very quiet. I don't have to deal with tooth trimming, happily, but after using this thing, I think it might be a handy tool to have if you do. If used frequently enough, the squirrel might get used to it enough that you could give the teeth a quick zip every few days instead of waiting weeks and doing a big clipping. It would also be goos to smooth rough places if you DO clip.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/deluxe-ma...ml?cgid=Nail08

Why not, Jackie? I can hold this thing against my nails while running and it doesn't do the grind/burn - I was VERY surprised. They make plug in ones too, and I bet those are a lot rougher, but the little battery operated motor just doesn't have that much oomph. The second I started using it I thought of teeth.

I bought one...
    I am also a bench jeweler by trade..I am sooooo familiar with flex shafts..
    (dremels)...I have two very nice one's...quiet precision etc...foot controled...and I have Rocky {been trimming for 8 years} so you know if it wetre within reason and well tolerated to use these I wouyld...
    so very few sqs will hold still with a tool in motion...our ears ...their ears...different frequencys etc...
    and teeth get hot fast...
    remember the dentist and the toothy fragments, the smell...remember the NOVACAINE...and the fear and the misery..the water rinse...
    ugh...I have trimmed modestly 30 different sqs teeth...

YES...with Iso..
    and no way...no how would I ever drug a sq to trim teeth if I didn't have to...
    especuially every three weeks..

I wish that gadget WOULD WORK...wouldn't that be the scrit!!!!
    however, realistically...and I swear I am not being negative or pessimistic, I cannot see the average bear...I mean sq tolerating the wonderful gadget..
    my Rocky is about as easy as it gets when trimming teeth...
    he said no to any grinding..

honest...with the right tools and technique, trimming can be done safely...
    and if only a one time thing...probably not so bad, it's repitition that is scarey...
    every three weeks for years is scarey...
    odontomas are scarey...
    teeth are tough... a healthy tooth snaps off like an ice cicle..
    an unhealthy tooth will crumble...a bad tool will stress crack , splinter shatter...
    teeth trimming is serious!...
    be careful...and get help from experienced person.....
    that's my advise...
    it's scarey as all get out...and I do it all the time...
    I still get a tummy ache...

ramble ramble good morning Lynn

Grr, the flexible shaft on my dremel just broke (it was only about 30 years old) and I can't find anything to fit the tool because IT is so old. Still works great, BTW. Who makes stuff like that anymore?

OK, here is another question, since we are batting this back and forth: Yes, I think about squirrels all the time...What about making a "ring" out of emery paper - literally a tube about 3/4" long and the diameter of the end of your finger - you would have to glue one edge. Now your finger tip is like a barrel emery tool. Like I said, luckily I don't have to mess with this, but as happy as P is to have me fussing with his face - everything is cheeky pinchums - I don't think he would have any problem having that rubbed on his tooth-tips. Whatchoo think?

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom
    Grr, the flexible shaft on my dremel just broke (it was only about 30 years old) and I can't find anything to fit the tool because IT is so old. Still works great, BTW. Who makes stuff like that anymore?

OK, here is another question, since we are batting this back and forth: Yes, I think about squirrels all the time...What about making a "ring" out of emery paper - literally a tube about 3/4" long and the diameter of the end of your finger - you would have to glue one edge. Now your finger tip is like a barrel emery tool. Like I said, luckily I don't have to mess with this, but as happy as P is to have me fussing with his face - everything is cheeky pinchums - I don't think he would have any problem having that rubbed on his tooth-tips. Whatchoo think?
    in the thread I authored about TOOTH TRIMMING TOOLS...there is a link to a wholesaler of jewelry tools...Livesay's...they will have dremel stuff and the emery rings that you speak of...
    they come in many styles and sizes...
    ck it out...
    using emery to file a tooth will be soooo slow...
    prehistoric speed
    someday when you are in tampa
    I will show you...you'll see!
    as a matter of fact...we had a wild, not a relewase show up with a maloclusion from hell...he vcannot open his mouth...his tongue slips out the side..
    fred has been leaving FV lap bowls everywhere...we are trying to lure him inside...
    he wants help and is showing desperate trust...we'll get him tomorrow when SQ C is back to normal...

clipping wilds is not easy!
    brb..fred needs JIT