Thread: New interim squirrel mom

Default New interim squirrel mom

Last Sunday we found a baby squirrel squirming on the sidewalk. We picked him up off the hot sidewalk and immediately brought him inside. We noticed he had been attacked, scratches on him body and his left arm be low his elbow was missing. We researched online what to do. We tried for 2 days to reunite him with him mom with no avail.
    We research what to do next. In researching, we decided he is close to 4 weeks. Gave him fluids, water, molasses and a very light touch of salt. I tried to bring him to a vet none would see him due to rabies chance. I called 2 rescue groups. 1 did not have the space for him. The other did not return my call. We have endlessly researched how to take care of him. Fast forward through the week, he injuries are healing well. He seems to be thriving. We have done everything possibly for him, heat, feeding every 4 hours and stimulation. And..many hours of worrying and a few sleepless nights, researching bloating, dehydration, mall formed testicals, teeth and obsessing over all of these worrying he has all of them. …
    Forward to almost a week later his injuries look much better and today he weighed in at 96g before feeding. He has been on esbilac feedings every 4 hours. Except the feeding where I felt like maybe he was dehydrated or possibly bloated. The little guy has been very patient with me and my over worrying and obsessing. Fox valley formula will arrive Monday. I honestly we thought this little guy was not going to make it. It stills scared me when it is feeding time and he is soo deeply asleep, I pull back his cover and he is not moving. Our daily pattern is: 99 degrees subfloor heating (he is located in a sterilite tub on cotton T-shirts’ and many areas for him to curl up under. Before and after feeding we stimulate him, sometimes he will need a little soak in 99 degree water up to his arm pits, which he seems to really like to clean the poop and pee. He will get currently almost 5 ml or esbilac, or water with molasses with a touch of salt. Repeat every 24 hours.
    Seems like this little guy fell from the sky. We have been looking for nests, or any other siblings or even a mother squirrel. Last night, I was again walking outside and I heard a squirrel loudly chirping in the dense ground bushes. Assuming this is where the nest is.
    Question is what should we do next. We believe from the imprints of his injuries he was attacked by another squirrel. Also looking his missing hand was from a previous injury it was in a state of healing his other injuries were red and fresh.
    From all that I have read, he may be just fine without a hand, he will never know the difference.
    Should I be referred to a trusted rehab from you guys?
    Should I keep him for another 3-4 weeks and slowly integrate him back into the area where his family is. Will they attack him again?
    We have 2 acres, 2 geriatric boarder collies that live in the daylight in the back yard.an outdoor cat that never seems interested in adult squirrels or rabbits. He does like baby bunnies, snakes and lots of mice.
    And we do plan on hanging a squirrel nesting box for future use and safety.

And thanks to you guys for what you do this is exhausting! And thanks so much for this website.

Default Re: New interim squirrel mom

and thank you for saving this little one❤️
    Sorry you haven't had a reply yet however baby squirrels will ween themselves and I've always gave formula till they ween, it can be at least 10 weeks maybe more before they just refuse to take formula and you can start introducing healthy Henry's blocks and other solid foods when they are old enough.
    The hand thing is another story, they have to climb and eat, without a front hand ( paw) in my opinion that cold be a death sentence. If I'm reading this correctly.
    You may consider finding a rehabber or someone who could give this baby a forever home if your not able to do that.
    I know others with chime in to give you more ideas.
    Great job by the way👏
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

Also I wanted to add squirrels do not carry rabies, no one has ever got bit by a squirrel and got rabies at least that is what I've always heard/ read. The vet obviously is not squirrel educated, then again I've spoke with several people who got bit by a wild squirrel only to go to the ER and receive a rabies shot 🤦
    Be careful of vets if your not in a squirrel friendly state, I know most states are not unfortunately 😒
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

*Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

island rehabber (08-06-2023)

JLDRH96, first I would like to say thank you and bless you for taking in this poor little one. Now unfortunately I must be blunt because this is how I see it after many years of rehabbing: your boy is non-releasable. He cannot function on his own with only one arm. He needs to climb and jump long distances from Branch to branch and most importantly he needs to hold his food in his hands and he cannot do that. My New York State Wildlife rehabilitation protocol tells me that I can release a squirrel with only one eye or only one hind leg....HIND leg.... But not only one forearm. He needs you. If you can keep him we will help you to learn everything about captive squirrel nutrition and enrichment.... The alternative, I'm sorry to say, is euthanasia.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Charley Chuckles (08-06-2023), Delo729 (08-06-2023)

In the back of my mind I thought maybe this would be his reality to being unreleasable. 😔 As much as We would love for him to stay with us, to be realistic it would not be his best life with us. We have 2 cats and 2 dogs and when needed we also have a foster dog or 2. It’s just not the best life for a squirrel.
    This being said, I feel I can take care of him until we can find him the best home. If you guys can help me find the best home for him I am willing do drive him to a better home. We are located in northern Colorado.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to JLHRDH96:

Charley Chuckles (08-06-2023), Delo729 (08-06-2023)

His baby pictures 🙂
    Attached Images Attached Images     

What a darling little boy🥰
    TSB has rehomed many many squirrels even to different states.. sometimes doing a squirrel train so no one has to drive too far. Possibly a new thread asking for a forever home will get you better results.
    I know many here are looking to provide a good home 🙏❤️

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

island rehabber (08-06-2023)

Thank you for saving this little one! What an absolute sweetheart he is! 😍😍😍

I also really want to commend you for being so selfless and honest in your answer regarding long term/permanent care for this darling squirrel! Not all people are able to search inside themselves and put the squirrels care and happiness first. But may selfishly hold onto an animal because they are attached or want them in their life. So THANK YOU for caring soo deeply about the well being and lifelong happiness of this sweetie to acknowledge your limitations, and want to do what is best for HIM. I am so very moved by your devotion to him.

Im sure we can find a forever, loving home for this beautiful boy. Until then, thank you for doing whatever you can, and keeping him safe, healthy, and loved until then 🥰🙂😇

Thanks!
    I did get a reply from someone on the squirrel board who was looking for a baby.

Baby “earl” (spelled Irrel) will be travel from Colorado around 13 hours to his new home! This being said, his new family and I are meeting in Lincoln nebraska. If there is any travel that is need for any other squirrels Colorado-Nebraska I would be willing to also to let them hitch a ride.

Earl has been the perfect little foster. Other than his injuries for me to worry over, he eats, pees poops sleeps perfectly! Weighing in today at a slightly chubby 111g.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to JLHRDH96 from:

Charley Chuckles (08-08-2023)