Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: URGENT PLEASE READ: Don't Use Dog Pads as Cage Liners!

Default Re: URGENT PLEASE READ: Don't Use Dog Pads as Cage Liners!

wow. last winter my sil was using these for her dog, and we both thought they would be good for Emma. so I took a couple of pads home and put one out. Emma of course clawed at it, chewed a teeny bit. and in the next ten minutes she started acting really out of it. thankfully she only got a little bit of the attractant and was able to come out of it herself, no vet visit required. but still, it was scary when it happened.
    We can bring a heart of understanding and compassion to a world that needs it so much. ~~ Jack Kornfield

vickyjhnsn Guest

Oh my, I was using them under the cage. I have a ferret cage and was using the human pads (got a bunch when I had my son and was cutting them up) and just bought the puppy pads two days ago. So far they have not shown any sign of sickness. It does not touch them but they have been acting weird, kind of mean. I just thought it was cause they were getting older. (It may be). I'm ganna take them out right now and put the human pads back in and go get a bunch more from CVS. That stinks, I just bought a big box but I'm glad it did not cost me my babies. Ganna chuck them. Don't want them hurting any puppies either.

Thanks so much for posting. I love these guys and would hate to see anything happen to them.

vickyjhnsn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by asweetdiversion
    OH DEAR GOD IN HEAVEN, and I.R. on Earth Squirrel Protector ... I swear as I am typing ( see the picture I am attaching ) that I have just thrown away a package of puppy pee wee pads I have in my squirrel stuff. I used them to set on my lap as I was feeding the babies oh my God THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I feel so stupid to have never even thought of reading the back of something I placed so close to my baby squirrels. This place really saves squirrel lives and I am just so grateful tonight... and always. Tee
    These are the pads I have. I threw the package away and put the pads in a drawer in my squirrel room. Do these have chemicals in them? Can you read the package? They are about as absorbent as a piece of tissue by the way. They are awful for anyone who wants to buy them in the future. I was changing them a couple of times a day. These have the tan plastic back. Are they dangerous as well?

We bought some puppy pads from CVS and used them in Rocky & Alice's cage for a while to avoid having to wash a bunch of fleece blankets. It never occurred to me to check the labels for harmful chemicals!

The squirrels chewed them up. I hated them! I eventually found a fleece blanket at Target for $14 - twin size - and cut it into 8 pieces. It costs a little more than the pads but so what - it's fleece - real stuff. Even if we choose to throw them away and replace them when we change them it isn't all that expensive.

vickyjhnsn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by justAddNuts
    We bought some puppy pads from CVS and used them in Rocky & Alice's cage for a while to avoid having to wash a bunch of fleece blankets. It never occurred to me to check the labels for harmful chemicals!

The squirrels chewed them up. I hated them! I eventually found a fleece blanket at Target for $14 - twin size - and cut it into 8 pieces. It costs a little more than the pads but so what - it's fleece - real stuff. Even if we choose to throw them away and replace them when we change them it isn't all that expensive.

I don't know if they are still having a sale but I just got a whole bunch of good size fleece throws at CVS for $2.50 each originally $9.99. I bought five of them. They are a good size. I cut them up and had enough bedding for all five for days without having to wash them everyday and still have two more untouched. I'm not sure if they are having the sale anymore but if you watch or even ask someone at CVS they always repeat their sales.

I too use the puppy pads in the bottom of the cage when they are small..I haven't had any problem with mine...they have a beige back however. I didn't see this the first time it was posted...please repost it as I am sure many missed it the first time!
    mjs

WOW - thanks for this. I use the human ones (donation) all the time, and have had the puppy ones donated too - I never would have thought. I just posted that I learn something new here every time I log on - so true - always learning.
    Nancy
    Illinois Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator

take a peek at my website for fun happenings and cute critters!

http://www.2ndhandranch.com/index.html

Thank you to all that made the Rehab Cottage dream come true

Klanceor Guest

Wow,
    Cried a little when I read this. But thank you for sharing. I use Viva paper towel for nesting (cheap and clean) or the blue shop rags you get at Home Depot (again cheap and clean) and cloth diapers for badies.

IR, thanks soooooo much for posting this. I've had a couple of packs of these sitting around that I never got around to using. Thank god I never did. This post of yours may have saved a bunch of mine in the future. Thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfriend View Post
    IR, thanks soooooo much for posting this. I've had a couple of packs of these sitting around that I never got around to using. Thank god I never did. This post of yours may have saved a bunch of mine in the future. Thank you!!!
    That's great, SF....glad to be helpful!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

BUMP!

Since the subject of using puppy pads to line squirrel cages just came up again in another thread, I thought I would bump up this Sticky. Very important info for all our new members since this was last posted!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

12. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

cava (10-31-2016), DarkLies212 (10-31-2016), Jen413 (10-31-2016)

Thank you. I never would have thought about it. I use puppy pads for everything if it's in the house. We have a big enough battle with our little guys, I'm glad I saw this before I ever had them on one.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Meirby from:

island rehabber (11-12-2016)

WOW I had no idea, I used puppy pads all last year once the squirrels were moved to bigger cages No one died, but I'm not taking that chance! Thanks for bumping this up.
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to kcassidy from:

island rehabber (04-30-2017)

I use the pads for the bottom of bird cages that I use in my dove's cage. No attractants or chemicals although they are probably much more expensive in the long run than the human ones.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12