Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for safe effective antibiotic

Default Looking for safe effective antibiotic

Hello,

I have a nonreleasable 2.5 yr old neuro grey squirrel with a urinary tract infection. I posted a few weeks ago asking for antibiotic recommendations. I'm starting a new thread because I have new issues and questions.

I have a vet who is very experienced with grey squirrels, appropriate meds, and dosing.

This is her 2nd infection. Both developed after her territory, a detached heated and cooled room in which she has free reign, was inspected by someone doing an annual termite inspection. She stayed on an adjoining porch, caged temporarily for about 15 min. I stayed with her during the inspection. She was extremely stressed.

Following both instances she developed a UTI. She recovered from the first one (about a year ago) with 2 weeks of Baytril.

The second, most recent one, she again developed a UTI. She's had about 2 weeks of baytril with symptoms quickly improving to almost normal but then regressing. In other words, she produced appropriate large puddles of urine after the first few days but then regressed to peeing small puddles around the room. She had some spots of blood in her urine but that resolved soon after the antibiotic took effect.

She seemed to strain to urinate at the beginning of this infection, but she appears to produce a small puddle now with ease with no visible blood.

Since Baytril failed to completely rid her of infection, I changed to Trimeth/Sulfa. The same pattern occurred - an initial response of improvement close to normal, then regression to puddles.

Her appetite is robust, drinking water appropriately, activity level excellent, seems to feel fine. She has had periods of time in her life when she would run in circles and spin in place (as if she was swapping one end of her body for the other but in a stationary spot). Those episodes would wax and wane, sometimes disappearing for long periods. Now they are ongoing most of the time. She stops if she wants to investigate something like a branch I placed on the floor or if she wants to eat or drink, so she can stop if she wants. I would say her activity level is more manic lately than is typical, though.

My vet didn't culture her urine so I thought maybe the antibiotics weren't addressing the bacteria. I have ordered Cipro to be compounded but now am having second thoughts after reading of the dangers of giving it. I'll keep giving Trimeth/Sulfa until I decide.

I am aware that when I stop the meds, she may decline and I will most likely have her euthanized. I rehabbed hundreds of grey squirrels for 15 years and never hesitated to put one down that wasn't releasable. She was different, displayed such a joy in living that I didn't. Not long after keeping her, I quit rehabbing so I suppose she fills my desire to interact with squirrels but, after her, I won't have any more. I'm just getting too old to do it.

I spend a lot of time with her every day. She eats fresh vegetables, limited fruit, a part of a hickory nut daily as well as Harlan Teklad 2014 and Lab Diet 5002. I switched to the 2014 because I became concerned about the amount of corn in the 5002 (it's the first ingredient). She seems to like the 2014 better.

Even though I cannot touch or hold her (she will bite), I'm so bonded with her. I can't imagine life without her. I'd do anything to fix her.

I know being neuro she has a lot going against her. Please offer suggestions or narratives if you've had similar experiences and describe success in treating squirrels with these types of conditions. Do you think it's safe to give Cipro? Do you think it has any advantage over the other antibiotics in treating her?

Thanks for reading my long story and in advance for ideas. Prayers welcomed.

Default Re: Looking for safe effective antibiotic

Are you sure it’s a bacterial infection and not interstitial cystitis? A lot of vets miss that, even in cats. I’ve never had a squirrel Witt it, but it can occur in humans and virtually any species, so it’s nothing impossible. If you’re not familiar with it, look into “feline interstitial cystitis,” “FLUTD,” and “feline Pandora syndrome.” I would definitely get a urine culture and possibly a microscopic urine sediment exam at a reference lab. Pregabalin (Lyrica) works great in my neuro squirrels and can also help with interstitial cystitis pain and stress. It tastes ok, unlike its nasty cousin, gabapentin.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SquirrelyDan from:

HRT4SQRLS (09-17-2021)

I have never heard of interstitial cystitis. My veterinarian offered to examine her but I was afraid to subject her to the stress of caging and transport. She hasn't offered to culture her urine to try to determine bacteria type, just tends to prescribe an antibiotic. She sort of treats my squirrel "under the radar" and usually only charges me for the meds.

I did notice crystals in her urine at the onset of the symptoms. They have since decreased or disappeared. Really it's hard to tell because she pees such small amounts.

I will mention the condition to her. She's off today so I will continue the antibiotic until the beginning of next week.

Thanks for the info.

Hazel, I’m going to pose this question to SquirrellyDan. I think it is relevant to your situation.

SquirrellyDan, In your previous posts you didn’t hide the fact that you’re a veterinarian so I assume it’s OK to ask a question that might be relevant in Hazel’s situation.
    Her squirrel is a neuro. I realize there are varying degrees of ‘neuro’ and different causes. We typically do not recommend using Baytril or the other fluoroquinolone antibiotics on neuro squirrels due to decreasing the seizure threshold and the potential to cause seizures.
    What is your opinion about this?

I’m very intrigued by your suggestion of interstitial cystitis. That’s very interesting. I’m going to study that.
    It’s interesting that both of this squirrels flares were initiated by a stressful situation… the bug man.
    Realistically, stress shouldn’t in any way cause a UTI in my mind. On the other hand, the cystitis might be triggered by stress.
    In Hazel’s previous posts, she mentioned a noticeable amount of blood.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

redwuff (09-17-2021)

Have done some reading about interstitial cystitis. I see there has been one study in lab rats. Planning to read that one carefully and hope, despite not knowing a lot of the terminology, to glean something pertinent.

Another symptom is increasing, becoming a constant behavior...running in circles and circling in place. I notice today she is not stopping very often, only briefly when I offer her a distraction. Previously, I could distract her and she would stop for a time but not today. Has the possible bladder condition accelerated her neuro behaviors? Will it reverse if the condition is treated successfully?

Forgot to mention that she has had a few petit mal seizures in the past. Very infrequent, total number less than 5 in 2.5 yrs.

I ask myself if she's miserable. I can't tell. I will put her first and use my best judgment in deciding when the time has come.

Is it time today? Just when I begin to consider it, I think or read something that makes me doubt. I struggle between hope/new idea and resignation, something all of us go through.

I appreciate very much your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazelnutjunkie View Post
    Have done some reading about interstitial cystitis. I see there has been one study in lab rats. Planning to read that one carefully and hope, despite not knowing a lot of the terminology, to glean something pertinent.

Another symptom is increasing, becoming a constant behavior...running in circles and circling in place. I notice today she is not stopping very often, only briefly when I offer her a distraction. Previously, I could distract her and she would stop for a time but not today. Has the possible bladder condition accelerated her neuro behaviors? Will it reverse if the condition is treated successfully?

Forgot to mention that she has had a few petit mal seizures in the past. Very infrequent, total number less than 5 in 2.5 yrs.

I ask myself if she's miserable. I can't tell. I will put her first and use my best judgment in deciding when the time has come.

Is it time today? Just when I begin to consider it, I think or read something that makes me doubt. I struggle between hope/new idea and resignation, something all of us go through.

I appreciate very much your responses.

The seizures could very well be caused by the Baytril. I wouldn’t use that again. The symptoms might go away but there is no way to know for sure.

Edit… I misread that. You said petit mal seizures in the past…. not now. I still would not use the Baytril though because it can be associated with central nervous system issues. The constant circling might be a manifestation of that.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Diggie's Friend (09-18-2021)

She's not being given Baytril any more. Trimeth/Sulfa.

Here's a timeline:

8/12 Termite inspection

8/13 Onset of urinary trouble. Straining to urinate and frequently, very little
    urine. Spent most of the day in her box. Started Baytril dosage recommended
    by vet.

8/15 Symptoms decreased, spending normal amount of time out of box.

8/23 Improvements plateaued. More urine output at a time but still dribbling.

8/25 Stopped Baytril. Began Trimeth/Sulfa. Dose of .34 every 12 hrs.

8/26 Noticed small spots of blood on floor and table where she eats. I texted vet:
    Pees normally at least once a day, good appetite, active when out of her box.

9/7? I increased Trimeth/Sulfa dose from .34 to .40 after 4-5 days because I only
    had an approximate weight of 550g from an attempt to weigh her long ago.
    She seems to have added some weight recently. Noticed an improvement.

9/9 Ran out of antibiotic, so she skipped a day or so before refilling it.

9/15 Texted vet I had seen an improvement but still mostly dribbling. No blood,
    seems to urinate easily, still small puddles. Eating well, active, but
    the circling and spinning behavior was increasing and for longer periods.

9/17 Continuing Trimeth/Sulfa @ .40cc. Still eating well, peeing puddles. Circling
    and spinning almost continuously.

I'm considering making an appt with another vet who I feel will do some evaluating like SquirrellyDan suggested.

I took the squirrel to a vet today that I knew would be thorough and who has experience with wildlife. He anesthetized her, examined her via ultrasound and did an urinalysis. He found no stones, no blood, no infection. I still question why she doesn't urinate all at one time (as she did before) but urinates frequently and in small spurts leaving puddles all over the floor. He did not have an explanation since everything appeared normal. I suppose if there's something there, it will show up after the antibiotics are out of her system.

He recommended that I stop antibiotics and administer metacam (anti inflammatory) for several weeks.

I was afraid the stress would set her back, but I think it stressed me more than her. She was anesthetized in her carrier. When she woke up, she did that grunt/growl at the tech. When we got home, she inspected the room for predators, climbed up onto the table and started gnawing block as if it was a normal day. What resilient, tough little characters squirrels are!

Thanks for the responses offering advice. I so appreciate it.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Hazelnutjunkie:

Diggie's Friend (09-18-2021), Mel1959 (09-19-2021)

You may want to try adding just a few drops of organic unsweetened cranberry juice to her diet; it can help to counter a UTI.

This source of organic cranberry juice concentrate with no sugars natural or unnatural added, larger lots is sold out; you may find it though at whole foods or Sprouts perhaps. This is what the smaller bottle looks like.

https://lakewoodorganic.com/products...c5926eef&_ss=r

I have a friend whose next door neighbor had their weeds sprayed with a commercal herbicide; soon after their female squirrel developed a confirmed lymphoma lesion under the skin on the flank. When it was discovered they took their squirrel in for their vet to examine, who removed the first lesion. The problem was that the the squirrel wasn't adequately supported with heat so it got cold. They were afraid to have the 2nd lesion removed when it appeeared following the healing of the first one because they thought they might lose their squirrel from the surgery. Not saying a squirrel can't be properly supported with heat during surgery as they should be of course.

They included Pycnogenol in support of their squirrel that lived 6 mo. past the removal of the lesion. PYC as it is known, is anti bacterial, anti viral, anti oxidant, and anti inflammatory as well as anti diabetic, and pro blood, and skin health. It improves the function of the organs, including the heart, kidneys, liver, etc. Two drops from a non-needle (1 cc) (1 ml) syringe included in food. Having an aged southern ssp. E. Gray squirrel, the diet for the squirrel was adjusted according to the need to raise calcium and lower phosphorus the main source being the protein in the diet. Rat research commonly references that as rats/rodents age they absorb less and less calcium, but also increasing retain more and more phosphorus with their kidneys concurrent to the same. For this reason, it was needful to lower protein the key source of phosphorus in the diet, and increase calcium at the same time in support of adjusting the Ca:P ratio of hte diet in order to not support an in body ratio that is too close, that hastens the development of kidney failure.

With a rodent block diet, this means lowering the portion of block by about a third, and then adding back Calcium in the form of calcium citrrate that ameliorates the function of the kidneys to bring the ratio of Ca:P up to around (2. 65:1) that takes the pressure off the kidneys and supported bond health. This confirmed by Dr. E of Florida both in an X ray and blood tests that were found to have normal values. PYC has also been found to lend protection to the liver from toxins.

https://vetspace.2ndchance.info/ever...-your-pet-rat/

I've spent the better part of the last ten years studying rat and squirrel research in regard to diet and aging in which I acrued a large library of PDF files. If there is anything I can do as far as sharing some specific studies on pertinent medical issues, you are welcome to send me a PM and I will do what I can to get them to you by email. Diggie's Friend.
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 09-19-2021 at 06:07 PM. Reason: requested by poster

Quote Originally Posted by Hazelnutjunkie View Post
    I took the squirrel to a vet today that I knew would be thorough and who has experience with wildlife. He anesthetized her, examined her via ultrasound and did an urinalysis. He found no stones, no blood, no infection. I still question why she doesn't urinate all at one time (as she did before) but urinates frequently and in small spurts leaving puddles all over the floor. He did not have an explanation since everything appeared normal. I suppose if there's something there, it will show up after the antibiotics are out of her system.

He recommended that I stop antibiotics and administer metacam (anti inflammatory) for several weeks.

I was afraid the stress would set her back, but I think it stressed me more than her. She was anesthetized in her carrier. When she woke up, she did that grunt/growl at the tech. When we got home, she inspected the room for predators, climbed up onto the table and started gnawing block as if it was a normal day. What resilient, tough little characters squirrels are!

Thanks for the responses offering advice. I so appreciate it.
    So glad to hear that all appears normal. Hoping the metacam makes a difference. I hope others will speak up about several weeks of metacam usage. I know it can be hard on the kidneys. What dosage was recommended for that length of time?

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Diggie's Friend (09-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    You may want to try adding just a few drops of organic unsweetened cranberry juice to her diet; it can help to counter a UTI.

This source of organic cranberry juice concentrate with no sugars natural or unnatural added, larger lots is sold out; you may find it though at whole foods or Sprouts perhaps. This is what the smaller bottle looks like.

https://lakewoodorganic.com/products...c5926eef&_ss=r
    Thanks, I looked for local sources and found them very close to me. I will try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    So glad to hear that all appears normal. Hoping the metacam makes a difference. I hope others will speak up about several weeks of metacam usage. I know it can be hard on the kidneys. What dosage was recommended for that length of time?
    The squirrel weighs 526 g. Vet dosed metacam @ .35ml.

Just found this thread. Did the Bug man spray in or around the outside of your house. I ask for bug spray can commonly be toxic to rodent, even so there is a new source that isn't, most are. Perhaps try adding Pycnogenol, it has been used in tree squirrels. It is a extract from the cambium layer of the maritime (pinaster) pine. It protects and supports the liver from toxins, and improves kidney function so that they last longer, save in end stage kidney failure.

I have a friend whose next door neighbor had their weeds sprayed with a commercal herbicide; soon after their female squirrel developed a confirmed lymphoma lesion under the skin on the flank. When it was discovered they took their squirrel in for their vet to examine, who removed the first lesion. The problem was that the the squirrel wasn't adequately supported with heat so it got cold. They were afraid to have the 2nd lesion removed when it appeeared following the healing of the first one because they thought they might lose their squirrel from the surgery. Not saying a squirrel can't be properly supported with heat during surgery as they should be of course.

They included Pycnogenol in support of their squirrel that lived 6 mo. past the removal of the lesion. PYC as it is known, is anti bacterial, anti viral, anti oxidant, and anti inflammatory as well as anti diabetic, and pro blood, and skin health. It improves the function of the organs, including the heart, kidneys, liver, etc. Two drops from a non-needle (1 cc) (1 ml) syringe included in food. Having an aged southern ssp. E. Gray squirrel, the diet for the squirrel was adjusted according to the need to raise calcium and lower phosphorus the main source being the protein in the diet. Rat research commonly references that as rats/rodents age they absorb less and less calcium, but also increasing retain more and more phosphorus with their kidneys concurrent to the same. For this reason, it was needful to lower protein the key source of phosphorus in the diet, and increase calcium at the same time in support of adjusting the Ca:P ratio of hte diet in order to not support an in body ratio that is too close, that hastens the development of kidney failure.

With a rodent block diet, this means lowering the portion of block by about a third, and then adding back Calcium in the form of calcium citrrate that ameliorates the function of the kidneys to bring the ratio of Ca:P up to around (2. 65:1) that takes the pressure off the kidneys and supported bond health. This confirmed by Dr. E of Florida both in an X ray and blood tests that were found to have normal values. PYC has also been found to lend protection to the liver from toxins.

https://vetspace.2ndchance.info/ever...-your-pet-rat/

I've spent the better part of the last ten years studying rat and squirrel research in regard to diet and aging in which I acrued a large library of PDF files. If there is anything I can do as far as sharing some specific studies on pertinent medical issues, you are welcome to send me a PM and I will do what I can to get them to you by email. Diggie's Friend.
    Thanks, Diggie's Friend, for the offer and info. I actually have powdered calcium citrate. Should I supplement the squirrel's diet with it? How would I do that?

In response to your post, the bug man was actually a termite inspector and didn't spray anything either time. The squirrel was put outside on a screened porch with 2 ceiling fans in a big tall cage (in July both times) that she plays in and around. I stayed with her beside the cage. She was panicked, spun in place continuously the entire time.

She sleeps inside the heated and cooled room in an open cage, so she's rarely confined. The doors on the cage on the porch are also kept open except for this instance when the inspector used the screened porch entrance to enter the room where the squirrel lives.

This room is detached from the house and has 2 entrances - one from the outside which is rarely used and another entrance through the screened porch. This room was unfinished when we bought the house. The joists were actually sitting on the dirt. In this humid climate, there were termites, wood eating fungus, cockroaches, long term water damage. Looked like a horror movie under the floor. The interior was completely demolished and removed except for the exterior framing and ceiling joists. The floor was rebuilt 18" off the dirt (the ceiling is tall), the ground below was encased in a plastic membrane by a basement proofing company during an unusual, prolonged period of drought (just by luck), new insulation, electrical work, walls finished. Needless to say, we did not expect to spend this money when we bought the house but it was a rehabber's dream room. It has floor to ceiling windows across one side that look into the woods. This squirrel lives the life and seems completely content to be contained. She's my swan song - I don't rehab anymore. Hundreds of squirrels and 15 years is enough and I'm getting old.

I do have quarterly pest control but don't allow the technician to spray inside the porch or in the room where she lives. If I could do over I would have had the inspector enter and exit through the outside door. As I said, this is only the 2nd time the squirrel has had urinary problems and both times occurred the day after both of the inspections. Therefore, I deduce that the stress as a result of the "invasion" correlates to the infection.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Hazelnutjunkie from:

Diggie's Friend (09-19-2021)

This is the first day without an antibiotic and I'm holding my breath that her urinary habits don't regress. Her usual habit was to urinate a lot in one big puddle and maybe one or two smaller spots in addition.

She is still urinating in small puddles in numerous locations.

I am more concerned about a new issue right now...she is constantly running in circles and spinning in place.

Has the infection affected her neurologically?

Will the behavior lessen with time?

Does the extended period of antibiotics correlate with the increased spinning behavior?

It's hard to watch her do this. Normally we would play and interact.

I know no one can predict the future, but I'm wondering...does anyone with a sanctuary squirrel with this condition (if it's permanent) allow the squirrel to live like this indefinitely? I ask myself if she's miserable. I wish I could know.

May I begin by saying, bless your heart for your long time devotion as a rehabber.

In the wild, tree squirrels pull up grass tufts and flip them over to chew on the soil that surrounds the roots that contain good digestive bacteria that is key to supporting both the digestion of their food, and their immune system, of which over 70 percent is located in the gut of mammals. Since AB destroy the good gut bacteria with the bad, replenishing the good bacteria is needful towards supporting a healthy immune system; yet since the soil also contains bad bacteria forms, helminths, etc., providing a source of probiotics with prebiotics (the latter being what the probiotic microbiota feed upon), is needful.

https://www.amazon.com/Vitality-Scie.../dp/B005PJN2HO

For Northern Grays, maintenance (1/32 Tsp.) daily, and 1/64 Tsp for Southern ssp. Doubling the amounts for maintenance to replenish the good gut bacteria, anding half the daily amount to each feeding (AM and PM) should be considered. In anycase, the mg. amount can be calculated based upon the total volume or weight measure of the powder contents of one capsule, so that the amount can be adjusted as desired. This source is also preferable because it contains no additives or flavors; aka: not species specific.

To best support covering any potential taste or texture issues for a picky squirrel; adding the daily measure to mix into organic baked butternut squash; then split feed the daily portion to feed AM and PM daily. Baked squash should only be stored in the freezer and removed the night before feeding to thaw in the fridge in a sealed container, as aw squash turns rubbering in the freezer, and raw or cooked squash molds in just a few days in the fridge. BN squash has a positive (Ca:P) ratio so it can be included with no change in the ratio of the total diet.

Silcone baby food trays that allow one (cube-icle) to be easily popped out at a time which works well for feeding small amounts daily. Do not freeze raw squash, nor store any squash raw or cooked in the fridge for more than two days as it begins to mold. Store only baked squash long term in silicone baby food containers with lids , placed into either vacuum seal bags, or ziplock (remove air manually using a straw by sucking it out of the bag with the zipper closed down on the straw).

https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Sili...105419&sr=8-21

This set of mini measuring Teaspoon set includes the Tsp. volume measures; most other sources don't.

https://www.amazon.com/Morgenhaan-St...6&ts_id=289788
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 09-22-2021 at 07:54 AM.

May I begin by saying, bless your heart for your long time devotion as a rehabber.

In the wild, tree squirrels pull up grass tufts and flip them over to chew on the soil that surrounds the roots that contain good digestive bacteria that is key to supporting both the digestion of their food, and their immune system, of which over 70 percent is located in the gut of mammals. Since AB destroy the good gut bacteria with the bad, replenishing the good bacteria is needful towards supporting a healthy immune system; yet since the soil also contains bad bacteria forms, helminths, etc., providing a source of probiotics with prebiotics (the latter being what the probiotic microbiota feed upon), is needful.

https://www.amazon.com/Vitality-Scie.../dp/B005PJN2HO

For Northern Grays, maintenance (1/32 Tsp.) daily, and 1/64 Tsp for Southern ssp. Doubling the amounts for maintenance to replenish the good gut bacteria, anding half the daily amount to each feeding (AM and PM) should be considered. In anycase, the mg. amount can be calculated based upon the total volume or weight measure of the powder contents of one capsule, so that the amount can be adjusted as desired. This source is also preferable because it contains no additives or flavors; aka: not species specific.

To best support covering any potential taste or texture issues for a picky squirrel; adding the daily measure to mix into organic baked butternut squash; then split feed the daily portion to feed AM and PM daily. Baked squash should only be stored in the freezer and removed the night before feeding to thaw in the fridge in a sealed container, as aw squash turns rubbering in the freezer, and raw or cooked squash molds in just a few days in the fridge. BN squash has a positive (Ca:P) ratio so it can be included with no change in the ratio of the total diet.

Silcone baby food trays that allow one (cube-icle) to be easily popped out at a time which works well for feeding small amounts daily. Do not freeze raw squash, nor store any squash raw or cooked in the fridge for more than two days as it begins to mold. Store only baked squash long term in silicone baby food containers with lids , placed into either vacuum seal bags, or ziplock (remove air manually using a straw by sucking it out of the bag with the zipper closed down on the straw).

https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Sili...105419&sr=8-21

This set of mini measuring Teaspoon set includes the Tsp. volume measures; most other sources don't.

https://www.amazon.com/Morgenhaan-St...6&ts_id=289788
    What do you mean by "this amount for Southern ssp. Doubling the amounts for maintenance to replenish the good gut bacteria, anding half the daily amount to each feeding (AM and PM) should be considered"?

What does "ssp" stand for? And, are you saying double the 1/32 amount by giving 1/32 tsp in the morning and 1/32 tsp in the evening?

Would it be possible to use a gram scale to measure the powder? Possibly it wouldn't measure as small as 1/32 tsp.
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 09-22-2021 at 07:55 AM.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Hazelnutjunkie from:

Diggie's Friend (09-20-2021)

Sorry it wasn't clear, I will send you a PM that is.

[QUOTE=Hazelnutjunkie;1337054]What do you mean by "this amount for Southern ssp. Doubling the amounts for maintenance to replenish the good gut bacteria, anding half the daily amount to each feeding (AM and PM) should be considered"?

What does "ssp" stand for? And, are you saying double the 1/32 amount by giving 1/32 tsp in the morning and 1/32 tsp in the evening?

Very sorry for the glitches and confusion; I'm on the sorry side of sleep deprived presently, I'm alone caring for my hubby who got home from the hospital a few days back along with everything else that has to be done.

To answer your question on measuring to reduce the powder in one capsule; though a gram scale isn't accurate enough to reduce the amount down, or so I would assume; there is a general weight guide noted on the label of the product jar that you can go by to target the weight range of your squirrel. Then all you need to do there is to divide the amount of one capsule down to twice the weight of your squirrel for the replenishing dose daily, that is split fed with meals AM and PM. For maintenance dose you would divide it once more to target your squirrels weight.

Once you have the weight of your squirrel, then double that and divide the powder the number of times to reduce it for that weight to support the higher replenishing dose for your squirrel for a week.

To do this physically, you will need to first line up the powder more evening like in a hedgerow; from there divide it down into the number of parts needed to reduce it to the desired portion for a squirrel twice the weight of your squirrel to support a replenishing dose measure.

As for amount given AM and PM. just divide the total amount daily, giving one half with the AM meal and the other with the PM meal.

Why I included both maintenance measure and refortifying measure that is double that of maintainance is that continuing the use of this source is needful to support your squirrels digestion and health over it's lifetime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast