Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Downs baby

Abacat Guest

Default Re: Downs baby

Aaaaah, Billy is so sweet! What a cutie...wish we could see more pics and keep updated on Billy...tell your friend she has to let us know how he's doing.

Question Re: Downs baby

To rehabbers: I would be interested in how many dwarf/downs babies you have had over the years, and their sexes. I have only seen one female and all the rest have been males so I am wondering if this could possibly be a sex linked birth defect. Thanks! Stacey

little_angels Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Novelle
    Ok, thanks for the info, that was very helpful.

And yeah, I know you DNA test pedigreed horses, dogs, etc. and that you can have birds, and I assume snakes and other reptiles (?), DNA tested by companies (I've seen ads for them). Not to mention the companies that do like paternity testing and stuff. Just wondering if there was a specific place that would test some DNA from any animal for you if you paid them enough.
    I don't know about squirrels but i get my Parrots and Horses tested here for anything that needs to be done

I'm sure if someone contacted them they could either do DNA tests themselves or send you somewhere that could

http://www.avianbiotech.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Abacat
    Aaaaah, Billy is so sweet! What a cutie...wish we could see more pics and keep updated on Billy...tell your friend she has to let us know how he's doing.

I will see him 3 days a week and will keep you updated.

Abacat Guest

susanw.

charles Guest

hey , thats great!!!!!!!!
    It looks very nice... who old is this???
    If you have some other pictures of this quite guy.. post them...

vdyhogan Guest

When I get my computor back this is a borrowed one but I have pictures of a squirrel that does fit this issue I never in all of my years of rehab heard of this but it fits my little guy perfectly. Unfortunately he died after a fall in his cage of only about 10 inches but he was totally blind and hit his head and withing two days died.

But his size was defientely first clue as well as shortness of his body and tail never developed past the size of a 12 week old juv squirrel, one eye never developed and the other was blue and totally clear had no pupil.

He was able to climb and eat anything and when in outside cage he would just lie in the sun but when in his cage which was a two story with a ladder he could and would run circles run and round and I figure that is how he fell as he was doing his full run in circle and fell down the ladder. Anyway I will post pictures within a week of my guy Little Man.

Never had a mean streak except to other squirrels but always loving and gentle. Downs I will make notes of this. Thanks Virginia

TexanSquirrel Guest

aww You're little one sounds precious. So sorry he is gone.

My rehabber let me keep Billy after babysitting him for two weeks, due to she knew I would give him more attention than she could. Here is an updated pictures of him, he still does not eat enough on his own and doesn't really climb or cling to things. He is only 6 1/2 in. long not including his tail. He is full of energy though and seems healthy and happy running around my house (it's more like a hop) and being outside on warm days. I just love him, he is the sweetest little fellow!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Abacat Guest

I've been wondering about Billy since you last mentioned him... He is a sweetie! Course now maybe he can have his own thread, with LOTS of pics?

TexanSquirrel Guest

What a precious baby!

Gabe Guest

He is soooooo cute! Love that little face.

Kathy56 Guest

We need lots and lots of pictures of this little angel. He is a doll baby.

Abacat Guest

You hoo...Billy, where are you? Please????

I'm still here, I will work on mommy to take more pictures! Thank you all for the compliments!

TexanSquirrel Guest

Yes, we must see that precious little face!

Yes pls more
    Life is not measured by how many breaths we take
    But by the Moments that take our breath away
    They Call me….Miss Ellie MaeJ

Simba as a baby
    Click the picture for a short video tribute.

shadysheepie Guest

I have read this thread with much interest, My little girl of the human type has Downs syndrome.

I can tell you for sure that all mammals can have downs syndrome

also there are 3 types of downs syndrome not just trisomy 21

theres also mosaic downs and another type

any mamal that has chromosones can have downs syndrome

signs are small , with learning problems meaning they can learn but at a slower pace, squirrels with Downs syndrome would be small, maybe prone to being tubby simple because any animal with DS is not as fast and would not burn up energy

also anorther thing common with Ds from chimp to human to squirrel to cat is floppy muscle tone

an animal with DS would not survive in the wild

Monkey world here in the UK in Dorset has 2 chimps and one oragatan with Downs syndrome

I know w few people whom have cats with it as well

hope i have filled you in a bit Andrea xxxx

Red face Re: Downs baby

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe
    He still sleeps until stimulated, and after a short period of activity falls asleep in your hands. He does not cling to you with his feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe
    I had totally convinced myself he was blind. He would walk off the table, not hang on when on me, not afraid of falling, sleep until it was time to eat.

Thank you very much for the information you have shared in this thread it has greatly helped me.... the way your Max is sounds a lot like how my four week old baby squirrel is acting. I thought some thing like this might be wrong with him two days after I picked him from my nieces house (she said he fell from above and landed on her shoe) - now only time can truly tell how he will be, but my gut feeling says he has ds and will be with us for the rest of his precious little life.

God Bless You!

Quote Originally Posted by shadysheepie View Post
    I have read this thread with much interest, My little girl of the human type has Downs syndrome.

I can tell you for sure that all mammals can have downs syndrome

also there are 3 types of downs syndrome not just trisomy 21

theres also mosaic downs and another type

any mamal that has chromosones can have downs syndrome

signs are small , with learning problems meaning they can learn but at a slower pace, squirrels with Downs syndrome would be small, maybe prone to being tubby simple because any animal with DS is not as fast and would not burn up energy

also anorther thing common with Ds from chimp to human to squirrel to cat is floppy muscle tone

an animal with DS would not survive in the wild

Monkey world here in the UK in Dorset has 2 chimps and one oragatan with Downs syndrome

I know w few people whom have cats with it as well

hope i have filled you in a bit Andrea xxxx

Wow ! Just wow! I never knew this.

I too have a child with Down syndrome . This is amazing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast