Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Downs baby

Default Downs baby

I don't know much about Downs babies but here is a photo of one. this one belongs to Gabe. Gabe, I hope you don't mind me posting this photo .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gabe Guest

Default Re: Downs baby

Thanks for posting the photo, squirlfriend. The important point of this photo is to show that it is a mature squirrel, yet the body fits into the palm of a hand.

TexanSquirrel Guest

So he's small...But what's wrong with him?

Gabe Guest

TS, he's a squirrel that has Downs Syndrome.

TexanSquirrel Guest

Like people have?

I guess I'm a bit unclear on this. Is the smallness the only physical sign? Is there accompanying mental damage? How do they know it's Downs? Is it possible to test DNA for it? Isn't Downs trisomy.. 21 or something like that in humans? Does it have the same sort of corresponding chromosomal defect in squirrels?
    Sorry for all the questions. My girl is small and brain-damaged (although I don't think she's that small) and I guess I'm searching for answers, although the probable cause is that she bonked her head on her fall out of the tree.

Assinine Tails Guest

Squirrels get downs syndrome? Do they act slow? I mean that could be dwarfism, couldn't it?

TexanSquirrel Guest

Are they...mentally challenged?

Gabe Guest

Downs Syndrome babies are very slow to mature. They are pudgy and short in body. Max's fur is very soft, but in kitten fur I think it is also sparse, his isn't. I too thought he was blind and deaf. But he is not. Basically, when he came in, he seemed lethargic, I had to wake him to feed, but his appetite was always good. As he got older, and should have been weened, he wasn't, but he was so inadequate at getting food into his mouth that I still continued esbilac once a day. I used fluffed uneven, not flat, blankets and towels so that he could find a way to squeeze in there and balance. He really wanted to be a big boy and stand up on back legs to feed himself. Max's favorite foods are grapes, his teeth are shorter than they should be. He still sleeps until stimulated, and after a short period of activity falls asleep in your hands. He is very loveable, and unfortunately not afraid of anything. He does not cling to you with his feet, but would fall off your shoulder if he were placed there. Will also walk right off the edge of a table. We're not sure of their life expectancy, but plan on giving them as much love as they can hold. Max is beginning to climb a little in his cage now, and seems to slowly develop skills.

Great info on the abilities or lack of for a Downs baby.

Do you have any more pictures??

You know we are all suckers for pictures.

How old is Max now??

TexanSquirrel Guest

Max sounds absolutely precious.

Gabe Guest

Sorry, this is an old photo and I have different postings about him in various threads. I cut and pasted this one into this thread as questions were popping up once again and I thought it simplier to keep things together. Max died last year. He was unable to thermoregulate properly, became cold and had continuous seizures. Though seen by a vet that very same day, he did not make it through the night.

Gabe, we just got a squirrel in about 2 weeks ago that sounds just like Max. Do his eyes move rapidly, like rem? I also thought this little boy who we named Billy was blind, but now I'm not sure. He is just the most mellow and lovable squirrel you could ever meet, everyone has fallen in love with him. I am trying not to get too attached (yeah right), because I know they don't live that long. How did you discover that Max is not blind?

Gabe Guest

I had totally convinced myself he was blind. He would walk off the table, not hang on when on me, not afraid of falling, sleep until it was time to eat. I actually took him to the vet to have his eyes checked and he said they were fine. Then little by little I started noticing that he could indeed see.
    He was found at the base of a tree, fat and happy and asleep. He must have finally come out of the nest and had no idea what to do next. I thought he was lethargic and dying when he was admitted as he would just sleep and sleep. Hated being with other squirrels as they played too rough. Loved only one food at a time, til he tired of it and then onto a new food. Max loved grapes. He was syringe fed esbilac until he died just to give him good nourishment. He tired easily after he was picked up and petted and generally spent lots of time in peoples laps sound asleep.
    Susan enjoy him and love him to death. He won't ever let you down by biting or being rough.

Oh Gabe, you can't help but love this little guy! We have to dice his food for
    him, but like yours his main diet is formula. His front legs are so short.

How very sweet he sounds. Can we see pictures?

I'll take pictures of Billy Tuesday and post them.

FLUFFYTAILNUT Guest

Aww...he is so, sweet..looking.
    Do you take him out in public?
    Could you?
    Like if were going out..to a park..or for a walk?
    Doesnt sound like he could bolt away..from you..a nice calm..sweet..little guy!
    How. adorable! special..litttle guy!

TexanSquirrel Guest

What sweet babies. I'm glad Max had you to take care of him.

Here are a couple of pictures of Billy. Is he a dwarf or down baby? I made a mistake when I posted he was full grown, we believe he is about 3 months. Cannot sit up on his back legs or hold his food, and does not cling to you with his paws.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast