Thread: A little worried about aspiration pneumonia

eklong86 Guest

Exclamation A little worried about aspiration pneumonia

Hi! My name is Emily and I am a registered veterinarian technician. I love my job at the small animal practice I work at and I frequently rehab little babies that are brought in to us by our concerned clients. My little pinky squirrel blew bubbles out of his nose during his last feeding. I immediatly held him up side down for 10 seconds and allowed the milk to drain. I am concerned that he will develop aspiration pneumonia and was wondering if anyone can give me the dosage for injectable baytril to give orally. I left my rehab book at work, and the building is locked over the holiday and I have no key. I am pretty sure Baytril is preffered over Clavamox if one is concerned about aspiration pneumonia. Immediate response would be great!!!

Default Re: A little worried about aspiration pneumonia

Emily, Baytril IS recommended over Clavamox and Sulfatrim for aspiration pneumonia. In fact, I have watched pinkies with pneumonia come around and even cease clicking after only 1 or 2 doses of Baytril.
    That said, blowing bubbles out of the nose does not mean automatic pneumonia, and I would not recommend medicating this baby yet. If you followed the procedure you described, she should be okl. If not, as someone who primarily rehabs pinkies (1 day - 2 wks old) I strongly recommend Baytril for aspiration pneumonia. It's still the big dog, and it does not cause GI upset either.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Default Re: A little worried about aspiration pneumonia

Ek86
    Please let us know how things are going.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.