Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TEMPORARY Goat's Milk Formula***

Default TEMPORARY Goat's Milk Formula***

TEMPORARY GOAT'S MILK FORMULA:

3 parts goat’s milk
    1 part heavy whipping cream*
    1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

Goat’s Milk
    This can be purchased at natural food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and at most health food stores that sell groceries. It is a product for humans. Do not substitute commercial formula made for baby goats or other livestock sold at feed stores.

Goat’s milk is available fresh in a carton; evaporated in a can; and as a powdered milk. If you purchase either the evaporated or powdered versions, please blend them with water according to the package directions before using to make the formula.

Heavy Whipping Cream
    This is found in small cartons in the grocery store near the coffee creamers and half and half. Regular heavy cream may be substituted if it is unavailable, but the heavy whipping cream has the highest fat content, and is preferred.

Yogurt
    Yogurt has beneficial bacteria in it that soothes and settles digestion. Full fat yogurt is best, and a good choice that is very widely available is Stoneyfield Yobaby yogurt. However if it is unavailable, a low fat vanilla yogurt may be substituted. Avoid those that have artificial sweeteners in them. Vanilla and banana are both popular flavors, and the sweet taste of the yogurt helps to convince the baby to accept it.

It has been recently discovered that very small pinky squirrels do better with the ESBILAC PUPPY FORMULA, with probiotics, instead of Fox Valley. If the Goat's Milk formula is used, omit the heavy whipping cream for the first two weeks of life.
    Last edited by island rehabber; 03-04-2015 at 12:02 PM.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Diggie's Friend (08-24-2022)

Default Re: TEMPORARY Goat's Milk Formula***

This needs to be a sticky! Great post! I got the Mayerburg (believe that is the name) Goat milk at Market Basket (the liquid, Whole Foods sells the powder).
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

It's stuck.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Forest Haven Guest

I have fresh, raw goat's milk available. Do I still have to mix the milk with yogurt and whipping cream?

Yes. What are you feeding? If it is a very young squirrel, I would start first with just the gm adn yogurt to let its tummy adjust to that first and then slowly mix in the cream after several feedings with no issues.
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

Forest Haven Guest

I haven't received my squirrels yet, but they have been on a canned goat milk/karo syrup/something else(can't remember) diet for almost a two weeks.

I will have to transistion them to fresh goat milk, but why is the cream needed since fresh milk is so rich and creamy anyway? The squirrels will be a little over 5 weeks when I get them.

I fed goat's milk formula for years, there was no other canned or powdered formula available. Goat's milk was more nutritional and digestible. Karo syrup was added to keep babies from getting constipated. Yogurt was no widely known is the US, and heavy cream was not used-unless someone decided to add it because a baby was horrible thin and couldn't gain weight. Many times the yogurt and cream added can cause diarrhea. Added one at a time for skinny babies (cream) or ones who don't have the correct gut flora (may have been on an anti-biotic) is OK. Fresh goats milk should have cream, as does the canned since it is homogenized.

If you don't agree with me-fine. I have done this with farm animals since I was a child, and have raised many,many baby squirrels in adulthood. Do as you please, I am just passing on my experience.
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Fox Valley is the best for squirrel babies. Please everyone, order it as soon as possible. It is wonderful right from the pouch/bucket and really doesn't need anything added to it. Baby squirrels thrive on it and it is best.
    Thank heavens, we have it to use!!!!!!!
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Kebtaz Guest

where can I buy this fox formula?

Hey everyone, I have been giving my little guy (4-5 week old Indian palm squirrel) this formula, since I cannot get Fox Valley, etc. Until I can find goats milk (I am scouring the city!) I make this with fresh cow's milk, yogurt, and I am slowly starting to introduce cream.

Yesterday, he was going fine but today his bms have become progressively softer and now (after second feeding of the day, 12:30pm) they are very soft, almost diarrhea I would say.

Less than 1/5th of the mixture is cream, yesterday it was only a drop, etc. Do you think I added cream too fast? In the days before he was on boiled milk/cream (unfortunately I didn't know any better). His health otherwise seems fine and he just opened his eyes last night. Please let me know what you think!

I would with hold the cream...... it is not needed, but can be an added benefit for some extra fat & protein in the diet. But your little guy will do well on the milk and yogurt.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Royal Canine formula is available in your country I believe..

Ok, thanks for the suggestion. Yes I am looking for Royal Canine! Going to a pet store this weekend to look for it.

Can you freeze the GM formula after yogurt is added, or will it eliminate the bacteria in the yogurt?

I am quite certain that freezing yogurt will kill the good bacteria.

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Not wanting to contradict, but I've always been told that freezing yogurt does not kill the live bacteria...simply makes it dormant. In order to kill bacteria (good and bad) it needs to be cooked/heated.

There are likely to be some cultures that do not survive the freeze thaw process, but the majority of them should be just fine and may even begin to multiply again.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Milo's Mom:

Diggie's Friend (07-18-2017), Scooterzmom (08-19-2020)

It does not kill the cultures they go into a dormant state. Once warmed they become active again.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    I fed goat's milk formula for years, there was no other canned or powdered formula available. Goat's milk was more nutritional and digestible. Karo syrup was added to keep babies from getting constipated. Yogurt was no widely known is the US, and heavy cream was not used-unless someone decided to add it because a baby was horrible thin and couldn't gain weight. Many times the yogurt and cream added can cause diarrhea. Added one at a time for skinny babies (cream) or ones who don't have the correct gut flora (may have been on an anti-biotic) is OK. Fresh goats milk should have cream, as does the canned since it is homogenized.

If you don't agree with me-fine. I have done this with farm animals since I was a child, and have raised many,many baby squirrels in adulthood. Do as you please, I am just passing on my experience.
    Why not leave out the Karo syrup and add the yogurt and cream instead for baby squirrels? Constipation and diarrhea seem to be opposites. What percent fat is goats milk? I think raw cow's milk is a higher percent butter fat than the whole milk you buy in the store.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Fox Valley is the best for squirrel babies. Please everyone, order it as soon as possible. It is wonderful right from the pouch/bucket and really doesn't need anything added to it. Baby squirrels thrive on it and it is best.
    Thank heavens, we have it to use!!!!!!!
    I think there is a resent post that says one commercially made formula is killing baby squirrels and I think it said it was made by Fox Valley. I use a formula similar to this temporary formula and I trust it more than the ones made commercially.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast