Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TEMPORARY Goat's Milk Formula***

cryjohn Guest

Default Re: TEMPORARY Goat's Milk Formula***

i was wanting to know if u can use milk replacement for goats for squirrles

You can use this recipe made with goat milk, heavy cream and yogurt as a TEMPORARY formula for baby squirrels. It is not a complete formula so you would need the transition to a complete formula like powdered puppy Esbilac with probiotics and prebiotics OR FoxValley 20:50.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    You can use this recipe made with goat milk, heavy cream and yogurt as a TEMPORARY formula for baby squirrels. It is not a complete formula so you would need the transition to a complete formula like powdered puppy Esbilac with probiotics and prebiotics OR FoxValley 20:50.
    So, no. You are referring to baby formula made for baby goats, right? The recipe in this thread is made with dairy grade goats milk available for humans, to which cream and yogurt is added because baby goats and baby squirrels have hugely different nutritional needs. Even then, it should be temporary only.

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

island rehabber (04-06-2019), Mel1959 (04-07-2019), stepnstone (04-07-2019)

I got it.....thanks

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    TEMPORARY GOAT'S MILK FORMULA:

3 parts goat’s milk
    1 part heavy whipping cream*
    1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

Goat’s Milk
    This can be purchased at natural food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and at most health food stores that sell groceries. It is a product for humans. Do not substitute commercial formula made for baby goats or other livestock sold at feed stores.

Goat’s milk is available fresh in a carton; evaporated in a can; and as a powdered milk. If you purchase either the evaporated or powdered versions, please blend them with water according to the package directions before using to make the formula.

Heavy Whipping Cream
    This is found in small cartons in the grocery store near the coffee creamers and half and half. Regular heavy cream may be substituted if it is unavailable, but the heavy whipping cream has the highest fat content, and is preferred.

Yogurt
    Yogurt has beneficial bacteria in it that soothes and settles digestion. Full fat yogurt is best, and a good choice that is very widely available is Stoneyfield Yobaby yogurt. However if it is unavailable, a low fat vanilla yogurt may be substituted. Avoid those that have artificial sweeteners in them. Vanilla and banana are both popular flavors, and the sweet taste of the yogurt helps to convince the baby to accept it.

It has been recently discovered that very small pinky squirrels do better with the ESBILAC PUPPY FORMULA, with probiotics, instead of Fox Valley. If the Goat's Milk formula is used, omit the heavy whipping cream for the first two weeks of life.

Is this still the correct formula to use and how long can they be on it? I have a pinkie less than 2 weeks old.... help please??

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sharrian from:

RockyPops (08-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Sharrian View Post
    Is this still the correct formula to use and how long can they be on it? I have a pinkie less than 2 weeks old.... help please??

The GMF is only a very temporary formula.
    Neither is nutritionally correct for raising a baby even for a few weeks.
    I have heard that the "new" GMF with the egg yolk is causing diarrhea.
    I really believe that your best option would be to get
    Zoologic along with Fox Valley 32/40 and use a 50/50% blend.
    https://www.squirrelsandmore.com/pro...16c192e6&_ss=r

Many others have gone back to the Dry Powder Esbilac Formula (with great success) as long as the expiration date is ON or AFTER October 2021.

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

RockyPops (08-26-2020), Sharrian (08-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

The GMF is only a very temporary formula.
    Neither is nutritionally correct for raising a baby even for a few weeks.
    I have heard that the "new" GMF with the egg yolk is causing diarrhea.
    I really believe that your best option would be to get
    Zoologic along with Fox Valley 32/40 and use a 50/50% blend.
    [url]https://www.squirrelsandmore.com/products/zoologic-milk-matrix-33-40-24-oz?_pos=482&_sid=116c192e6&_ss=r[/

Many others have gone back to the Dry Powder Esbilac Formula (with great success) as long as the expiration date is ON or AFTER October 2021.
    I have some FV but can’t find the Zoologic. everyone is out. I guess my best option is the GMF until I can find it or the Esbilac?
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    TEMPORARY GOAT'S MILK FORMULA:

3 parts goat’s milk
    1 part heavy whipping cream*
    1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

Goat’s Milk
    This can be purchased at natural food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and at most health food stores that sell groceries. It is a product for humans. Do not substitute commercial formula made for baby goats or other livestock sold at feed stores.

Goat’s milk is available fresh in a carton; evaporated in a can; and as a powdered milk. If you purchase either the evaporated or powdered versions, please blend them with water according to the package directions before using to make the formula.

Heavy Whipping Cream
    This is found in small cartons in the grocery store near the coffee creamers and half and half. Regular heavy cream may be substituted if it is unavailable, but the heavy whipping cream has the highest fat content, and is preferred.

Yogurt
    Yogurt has beneficial bacteria in it that soothes and settles digestion. Full fat yogurt is best, and a good choice that is very widely available is Stoneyfield Yobaby yogurt. However if it is unavailable, a low fat vanilla yogurt may be substituted. Avoid those that have artificial sweeteners in them. Vanilla and banana are both popular flavors, and the sweet taste of the yogurt helps to convince the baby to accept it.

It has been recently discovered that very small pinky squirrels do better with the ESBILAC PUPPY FORMULA, with probiotics, instead of Fox Valley. If the Goat's Milk formula is used, omit the heavy whipping cream for the first two weeks of life.

Thanks for whipping cream tips

My little squirrel is def a pinky - 11grams, eyes tight shut. I found a recipe for goats milk formula (3 tablespoons goat
    milk, 3 tbs yogurt, 2 tbs heavy cream, 1/2 egg yolk; makes 1/2 cup formula) on the Henry's pets website. But reading thru these threads, should I be omitting the heavy cream and egg yolk? I didn't have a store nearby with the Esbilac puppy formula with probiotics

Quote Originally Posted by Bugtussle View Post
    My little squirrel is def a pinky - 11grams, eyes tight shut. I found a recipe for goats milk formula (3 tablespoons goat
    milk, 3 tbs yogurt, 2 tbs heavy cream, 1/2 egg yolk; makes 1/2 cup formula) on the Henry's pets website. But reading thru these threads, should I be omitting the heavy cream and egg yolk? I didn't have a store nearby with the Esbilac puppy formula with probiotics
    Hi BugTussle... Henry's has updated it's site with what THEY are recommending as a formula for pinkies through 3 weeks as opposed to the "Temporary Goats Milk Formula" that you are referring. There was an issue with Esbilac a few years ago which prompted this change of the formerly temporary formula and the recommendation to use it for up to 3 weeks... the Esbilac issue has been corrected.

PERSONALLY, I would use the temporary formula (not the one on Henry's) and order some Esbilac on-line.. switch over when the Esbilac comes in.. that is my recommendation. I have been seeing and helping quite a few folks on the board (TSB) that used the formula at Henry's for a few weeks and frankly, the babies are underweight, frail and seem to have a dickens of a time transitioning formula. I use Esbilac for pinkies when I cannot get any Zoologic 32/40 and the thing with the Zoologic is you need to buy way more than you need for a single pinky.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Mermer9 (08-28-2022)

Thank you so much. Baby is not wanting to eat this morning and seems frail. His skin is very sticky and clammy. I've cleaned him after every feeding so not a "dirty" issue. He does seems to be struggling this morning. I appreciate the info on temp formula. I mixed up your recommended recipe last night. I think I will sub in the next feeding with pedialyte (no flavor) -instincts tell me he needs to be rehydrated. Thank you for being so helpful and caring.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12