Thread: watch those rice buddies!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hybrid View

Exclamation watch those rice buddies!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a lil baby yesterday the finder seemed so smart had the baby with a rice buddie b4 she even called. I didnt worry and I suppose I should have!

when I opened his blankies in the basket he was in I noticed his lil feet were literally glowing red. I scooped him up and held him and he was really warm. as he cooled in my hands well I waited to meet another person with a baby the redness left.

but you can see the outcome.

so If your a newbie squirrel finder... when you heat rice buddies they may feel ok to you! but they can have hotter patches. massage the rice bag evenly spread the warmth. And same as you do for formula test the warmth on your wrist!!!

Rehabbers when you get calls double check and be very sure you explain how to properly use a rice bag!

ty! I just dont want another baby to end up like mine. he is in allot of pain.

M

mpetys Guest

Default Re: watch those rice buddies!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good advice. Another thing is be careful when telling someone how long to heat the rice buddy in the microwave. The other person's microwave may not heat the same as ours and they could end up with a rice buddy that is too warm (or hot) or not warm enough.

Poor baby!

Oh no! Poor little baby. I hope he heals very, very quickly and the damage is not permanent. Thank goodness you got him when you did!

This is an excellent subject to be addressing, and if it hasn't already been done, maybe the current written instructions could be revised with even more detail as well.

For most of us, making and using a rice buddy is a common sense issue. For someone who is dealing with their first baby (or their first living thing EVER), these little details about heat time and heat distribution are SO IMPORTANT. Personally, my microwave heats extremely fast, and it took some time to get used to.

Also, massaging (or as I call it, squishing around) the rice buddy not only distributes the heat more evenly, it will give the caregiver a better chance to get a feel for how hot it really is before sharing it with a baby.

Thank you for posting this, Mandie, and to Michele for bringing up the wattage issue. First the poor, chilled bat, and now this!
    Linda

Silvadene will be perfect for those feetsies, if you have some, Mand
    I find that you really really have to spell it out for members of the public when giving them instructions with these babies. I told a really nice businessman (showed up in an Armani suit, in a BMW) to put the four babies he found in his attic "in a box with T-shirts and a Ziploc bag of hot water to keep them warm". Mr. Captain of the Universe presented me with a giant Costco grapes box that had an unsealed Ziploc in the middle,
    with all the water -- now cold -- leaking out. The four babies were in the four corners of the box trying to escape the cold water....

You Gotta Spell it Out.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

its true. poor lil guy gets poopie on himself and I dont wanna hurt him rubbing it off.

using herbal remedies. but will get some silvadene on him as well.

One more thing to remember is that microwaves keep on cooking for at least 2 to 3 minutes after the microwave stops - that's why the instructions usually say let stand for x amount of time after cooking anything. So, just remember that the heat you feel when you take it out is actually less than what it will be in two minutes or so.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

This is why I love this place. I would much rather learn from someone else's mistake instead of making one myself. They are just so tender.
    Original Hebrew Manuscript Text
    Genesis 1:24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the soul of life according to its kind: the cattle, and the creepers, and it's beast of the earth, according to its kind, and it was so.
    25And God made the animals of the earth according to its kind, and cattle according to its kind, and every creeping thing of the ground according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.
    ALL SOULS belong to God. Amen

click on picture to watch wrestling video of the boys

Twins video address

My trick for a rice buddy is to take a men's tube sock and put about 1/3 cup of rice in it, twist 3 times then fold it over, twist 3 times again and fold over again. This keeps the rice in place and there are 3 layers in between the baby and rice buddy. It's important to fold over twice so the smooth side of the sock ends up being on the outside and the loops that could catch small nails is to the inside. I store my rice buddies in the freezer in between seasons to keep the bugs out.
    Squammy to: Jordyn & Parkyr -Southern Flyers

2016 Babies - Sweet Pea & Chance

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,
    Screech, Fiona, Porgy & Bess

RIP: Itty Bitty, Rascal, Whisper

Passion4Trashin on eBay ~ Click the link below to find great deals!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    or here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Passi...6044929?ref=hl
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    passionfortrashin@gmail.com
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    I the sharing of ideas here at TSB.
    Squammy to: Jordyn & Parkyr -Southern Flyers

2016 Babies - Sweet Pea & Chance

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,
    Screech, Fiona, Porgy & Bess

RIP: Itty Bitty, Rascal, Whisper

Passion4Trashin on eBay ~ Click the link below to find great deals!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    or here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Passi...6044929?ref=hl
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    passionfortrashin@gmail.com
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

njoy46 Guest

Smile Re: watch those rice buddies!!!!!!!!!!!!!

omg I just put them right inside my shirt when I find a baby.. Body heat is so much better and they instantly just cuddle up and
    feel and home. I have done this with squirrels, bunnies and even baby birds. My family thinks I am crazy but I love animals and will do
    anything for them..