Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: squirrel pox

Default Re: squirrel pox

I know very little about pox. Here is a thread that might help.http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-pox-squirrels
    Last edited by island rehabber; 11-23-2014 at 06:04 PM. Reason: typo

Gems Guest

Thank you, Grinderhead. I will check it out. Thank you for responding.

Default Re: squirrel pox - Does anyone know how to get a hold of Jackie in Tampa!

Quote Originally Posted by Gems View Post
    Hello Fellow Squirrel Lovers,
    I'm trying to get a hold of Jackie from Tampa because I have a wild squirrel with pox. I read on one of the threads that she knows how to treat this awful virus. I've called around here in Michigan and I was told it's a hopeless thing to cure. My poor baby is missing one eye, has growths all around his ears, and is getting more of the growths around his one remaining eye. I'm heart broken. I need to help him immediately. Any help, and I would be eternally grateful. Thanks
    I am in Jackson, MI and had 3 babys that contracted pox a few months ago. I had do put one down because she doubled her weight in tumors. She had pox show up first and I treated all 3 as soon as I new what it was. The boy had 2 lumps on his back and now just slight scabs. The other sister still has lumps all over her. I started them on Acyclovir 2cc twice daily. I give it to them on their food (Henrys adult squirrel blocks). I am sorry to hear that any squirrels have this horrible illness.

At a minimum, provide Wild Bites or Healthy blocks and daily fresh water. You should add a multi-vit supplement to the water such as:

http://www.amazon.com/UltraVite-Mult...8+in+1+hamster

Some wild greys can recover from Pox if they are well nourished and not suffering from secondary issues (mange, starvation etc).

Many people have used Acyclovir with some success, we can help with dosing if you can get this? It will be harder to consistently treat a wild with meds which is why I stress healthy food and fresh water.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12