Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel Massacre

Default Re: Squirrel Massacre

Thank you all so much for your warm thoughts and prayers.
    There is still no sign of the 2 missing babies. If they did escape I image they are hunkered down for the night. So maybe the will emerge first thing in the morning. I can only hope and pray.
    Thank you again.
    ~Kit~
    Foothills Animal Rescue - we are a federally permitted volunteer group dedicated to the rehabilitation and release of injured and orphaned wildlife encompassing the entire area of upstate South Carolina and part of Hendersonville, North Carolina. USDA Licensed and Federally Permitted to handle all wildlife.
    Calls accepted 24/7 (864)282-1917

Tickle's Mom Guest

I cannot imagine what you are feeling. Prayers for all.

mpetys Guest

Kit, I just can't imagine how you and your mom are dealing with this. It would have been so easy to not share openly what happened and I don't think anyone would have held that against either of you. What you have done is very brave, in that by telling what happened, it serves as a reminder to everyone of the dangers that having dogs and cats and sometimes even children around our precious squirrels.

I pray for relief from the tremendous grief you and lilidukes must be feeling. What we all are feeling. I hope peace will come and that you will be able to, one day, look at your dogs with nothing but love.

I see that others have gone through similar things. I have as well. Not with my squirrels but with geese. I have a rottie that is extremely protective of me. Twice, she attacked a goose because he was charging me. The first time was totally unexpected and the goose lived although he was missing his bottom beak. The second time was carelessness on our part. She is totally fine around the geese, ducks and chickens when she is with my husband. He had her out in the yard with him. I walked out there and a goose lunged at me from behind a fence. Before we knew what happened my rottie jumped the fence and stopped the goose. The goose did not live. My husband wanted to get rid of her! He was so angry at her. This was not like him at all. We have never "gotten rid" of an dog or cat once they became part of our family. I had to convince him that it wasn't her fault but mine for carelessly walking out there when I knew the geese always go after me since I am afraid of them and when I knew that she was protective of me!

I know it will be hard but let us all help you and lilidukes to work through this. Maybe not right now, but maybe later, we could start a discussion, a thread, in honor of your babies, and discuss, talk about safety precautions we should take to protect these babies. Something that will remind those of us who work with squirrels every day as well as new people coming on who can learn, not only from our successes but from our tragedies as well.

Michele

I agree it was brave to post what happened. It was the right thing to do on many levels. It reminds others of "what can happen." And also, TSB folks can help you work through this horrible experience.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

I'm so sorry. There are times I have trouble with dogs. I love mine, don't get me wrong, but when they attempt to kill or do kill something I have a hard time reconciling it.

This is an excellent reminder to all of us how quickly things can and do go wrong.

Hugs to you.

Quote Originally Posted by mpetys
    Kit, I just can't imagine how you and your mom are dealing with this. It would have been so easy to not share openly what happened and I don't think anyone would have held that against either of you. What you have done is very brave, in that by telling what happened, it serves as a reminder to everyone of the dangers that having dogs and cats and sometimes even children around our precious squirrels.

I pray for relief from the tremendous grief you and lilidukes must be feeling. What we all are feeling. I hope peace will come and that you will be able to, one day, look at your dogs with nothing but love.

I see that others have gone through similar things. I have as well. Not with my squirrels but with geese. I have a rottie that is extremely protective of me. Twice, she attacked a goose because he was charging me. The first time was totally unexpected and the goose lived although he was missing his bottom beak. The second time was carelessness on our part. She is totally fine around the geese, ducks and chickens when she is with my husband. He had her out in the yard with him. I walked out there and a goose lunged at me from behind a fence. Before we knew what happened my rottie jumped the fence and stopped the goose. The goose did not live. My husband wanted to get rid of her! He was so angry at her. This was not like him at all. We have never "gotten rid" of an dog or cat once they became part of our family. I had to convince him that it wasn't her fault but mine for carelessly walking out there when I knew the geese always go after me since I am afraid of them and when I knew that she was protective of me!

I know it will be hard but let us all help you and lilidukes to work through this. Maybe not right now, but maybe later, we could start a discussion, a thread, in honor of your babies, and discuss, talk about safety precautions we should take to protect these babies. Something that will remind those of us who work with squirrels every day as well as new people coming on who can learn, not only from our successes but from our tragedies as well.

Michele

I cannot imagine what you and your Mom must feel like...
    I agree with Mpetys that it is brave of you to share this tragedy, and that it could be a start of a discussion, much needed for everyone: for both - the newcomers who come convinced that their cats/dogs are the sweetest and are safe for their newly found baby squirrel, and the more "seasoned" people whose cats/dogs have never shown their predator instincts (yet), and are allowed around prey animals. It's always the first time...
    As 4skwerlz noted, "It was the right thing to do on many levels", and another level that always comes to mind in such situations is not exposing prey animals to cats/dogs at all, thus, helping their protective instincts develop so that they know to run for their lives and hide when faced with a predator...
    Many levels, indeed...
    But for right now, as Mpetys and 4skwerlz and many others said, TSB folks can help you work through this horrible experience

I shared todays events in hope of preventing others from going through the same senseless thing.
    If one squirrel can be saved by me telling it then I am glad that I have.
    I am not embarrassed or ashamed of what happened.
    Like I said we took precautions.
    They were in a good strong heavy duty cage with multiple nest boxes.
    The doors to the room were doggy proofed to the best of our abilities.
    But still it wasn't adequate enough.

I failed them. I should have done more but what?

And as if today wasn't already tragic enough. Leroy who we just got a few days ago and was hit by a car just passed away.

Thank God for all of my fellow TSB members who love squirrels like we do. No one else understands what its like to lose them or love them.

Its going to take a while for our hearts to heal.
    ~Kit~
    Foothills Animal Rescue - we are a federally permitted volunteer group dedicated to the rehabilitation and release of injured and orphaned wildlife encompassing the entire area of upstate South Carolina and part of Hendersonville, North Carolina. USDA Licensed and Federally Permitted to handle all wildlife.
    Calls accepted 24/7 (864)282-1917

Everyone is right. This is an important post to help everyone remember to be more careful. However, just so everyone knows, these squirrels had their own living room. There's a door that they shut and the squirrels are in the room by themselves.
    I hope you ladies don't mind me sharing that. I just thought that it was important that everyone knows that there was a door between the dogs and squirrels. Not only did they get into the cage, they first had to get through a door. I don't think this was a case of the squirrels being desensitized to the dogs. Poor babies.
    I'm so sorry this happened. Hugs and prayers being sent your way!

lilidukes Guest

TSB We thank you for the love and caring words.

We do not expose wildlife to our dogs. The dogs have their area of the house and our rehab animals are in other places. The room these kids were in has two doorways one is heavy swinging doors in which they cannot open. The other were folding doors in which we had blocked from both sides. The dogs had to really work in order to get into the room today. The cage was in a corner and how they turned over such a heavy cage we will never know.

Despite all of our precautions disaster still struck our home this morning. I asked Kit to post what happened to warn others of what can happen. So that maybe if only one person rethinks where their cage is as to where their dog/cats are. If this warning saves just one squirrel maybe my kids did not suffer and die in vain.

Tonight my latest car hit squirrel Leroy Brown crossed the bridge in my arms. I am devastated and feel like i am melting inside. Not knowing what has happened to the other two....I am having trouble coping right now.

I love squirrels and I love TSB

Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by lilidukes
    ....I am having trouble coping right now.
    I love squirrels and I love TSB

Lisa

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

(hugs) I had a squirrel brought to me by a member and had him outside in a secure (what I thought was secure) cage getting him ready for release. And our neighbors had a pack of dogs and they came over tipped the cage and killed the lil guy we didn't find his body for days we thought for sure he had escaped to the trees and looked and looked for him.

I will not use a tall cage with a bottom that unattaches

I have a rehab building separate from my house for the safety of everyone!

And my outside cages are all hardwire cloth and sturdy wood. Yes a lil more work to clean but I feel good knowing they are secure!!

I complained to the company that made the cage!! Seriously the cages are used for ferrets and rabbits and rats...and most ppl have dogs!! It's a big big risk!!! Don't blame the dogs they were acting on instinct! (I hated those dogs but when 2 of them were later put down I felt sad for them.)

Blame the cage complain to the maker of the cage make them fix the problem cages should be safe!!

And see about getting some kind of building apart from your house for your rehabs. That will ease the worry in the future over your dogs! Even a camping trailer works!!

But seriously we need a sticky warning for cages with detachable bottoms!!

But plz do write the company and if we all complain maybe they will make a change!!!

mpetys Guest

I'm so sorry that you have had to suffer the loss of Leroy Brown tonight of all nights. Just try to picture Leroy and all the babies, healed, healthy and whole at the Rainbow Bridge. If they are mourning, they are mourning for the pain you are in. They know you loved them, I truly believe this, and that you wanted a bright future for them here on earth. I believe that they are okay, healed, healthy and whole and would want you to allow your hearts to heal.

Michele

Quote Originally Posted by mpetys

I'm so sorry that you have had to suffer the loss of Leroy Brown tonight of all nights. Just try to picture Leroy and all the babies, healed, healthy and whole at the Rainbow Bridge. If they are mourning, they are mourning for the pain you are in. They know you loved them, I truly believe this, and that you wanted a bright future for them here on earth. I believe that they are okay, healed, healthy and whole and would want you to allow your hearts to heal.

Michele

Rest in Peace Leroy Brown.

No Words 4 What I Feel........

I am so sorry. It was an accident. Nothing you could have ever imagined.

Very soory to hear this.
    Almost everything in this post is misspelled

JAQUELINE (RELEASED) AND TALULA (RELEASED)

Twi_prime Guest

SMSS and Lilidukes, I'm so sorry you've lost your babies and Leroy. That's too much pain for one day--for one lifetime, if I'm honest--and I hate that you're going through it. I really hope that your missing ones are found safe.

RIP

Santana, Joy, Layla, and Lexus
    Leroy
    4 Little Angels can now help Leroy cross the Bridge to.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast