Thread: INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY: Please Read!

Exclamation INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY: Please Read!

From Wikipedia:
    Intellectual property (IP) is a term referring to a number of distinct types of creations of the mind for which a set of exclusive rights are recognized—and the corresponding fields of law.[1] Under intellectual property law, owners are granted certain exclusive rights to a variety of intangible assets, such as musical, literary, and artistic works; discoveries and inventions; and words, phrases, symbols, and designs. Common types of intellectual property include copyrights, trademarks, patents, industrial design rights and trade secrets in some jurisdictions.

Members of The Squirrel Board should clearly understand that everything they post here, unless legally copyrighted, trademarked or patented, becomes the property of The Squirrel Board. They should also clearly understand that ANYTHING one posts on the internet IN GENERAL is then 'free' on the internet, and may be shared, copied, modified and translated the world over. Should you be concerned with retaining control over your words, DO NOT POST THEM HERE, or anywhere on the internet for that matter.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Thumbs up Re: INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY: Please Read!

Understood......

Default Re: INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY: Please Read!

Exactly! I just went through a case (well 2 years ago) There was an article in the newspaper and folks were making comments (this was about a shelter I was on the board with) All comments posted to a newspaper BELONG to the newspaper. And even if it was slanderous (sp?) it was protected with 1st ammendment and belonged to the website owner (Ottawa Daily Times) there was a rebuttle and the letter was used in an article. The folks spouted off the intellectual property crap but that is ONLY if copywrited / trademarked etc etc. So take it from me, I've been through the court case. Its good you made it clear. Its silly that folks think that the photos and stuff the post on the internet belongs to them. Just like photos you post - they are out there for all. Thanks for the post.
    Nancy
    Illinois Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator

take a peek at my website for fun happenings and cute critters!

http://www.2ndhandranch.com/index.html

Thank you to all that made the Rehab Cottage dream come true

If you announce your copyright when you first post something, then the common law gives you the copyright. It does not take registering it with the Library of Congress. Anything we produce at work has a copyright notice on the bottom. That makes it copyrighted. I have mentioned this many times to those who post pictures that they want to own, or art work.

Copyright 2011 Jill L. McKinney. All rights reserved.
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to JLM27 from:

Diggie's Friend (10-24-2021)

Good post JLM. Anyone with specific questions can PM Grandsquarent, as he is an IP lawyer.

Island Rehabber, did you announce this with the intent of warning people that TSB is going to produce a book with everyone's cutest squirrel photos?

Quote Originally Posted by MiriamS
    Good post JLM. Anyone with specific questions can PM Grandsquarent, as he is an IP lawyer.

Island Rehabber, did you announce this with the intent of warning people that TSB is going to produce a book with everyone's cutest squirrel photos?
    Right, and all the proceeds go to.........MEEEEEEEE! Ka-CHING!!

Seriously, I very much appreciate grandsquarent's input on this thread, and he has asked me to clarify its intent. SO:

What this means is, TSB cannot and will not be required to control what happens to your posts, graphs, charts, threads, pix and jokes after you post them here on The Squirrel Board. It's the INTERNET, folks.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit." Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by UDoWhat
    "It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit." Harry S. Truman
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

If someone wants to totally copy anything I ever write about anything in the whole world for my whole life and forever into eternity and beyond, be my guest, I won't sue you.
    Signed Teresa
    That Squirrel Girl
    Teresa
    The Lady On Bay County Florida, Animal Rescue Center, Volunteer

http://adoptbay.com

Just don't ever be mean to any if my animals cuz then ur gonna have a HUGE fight on your hands.
    Teresa
    The Lady On Bay County Florida, Animal Rescue Center, Volunteer

http://adoptbay.com

I have noticed recently that there are more and more copyright notices being used on TSB by TSB members. I am wondering how this affects any posts that I write on TSB using that information that has a copyright on it. Often times, when in a hurry, (I type slowly) particularly in the Emergency or Help Needed sections of TSB, I will copy and paste some or all of the information from one section to another section of TSB as it pertains to another, similar, situation being addressed. Sometimes the info might be in part or whole my own words... or not at all my original typing or post. Sometimes, but not always, I will say that I am copying and pasting this info from others in my post . What are the implications of using the information from members that have now copyrighted their posts and threads? I understand and respect that some members may be writing books, articles and other publications and want to preserve their original thoughts, ideas, photos, recipes, etc. as their own work to use in these publications or for their own use as is their right. My question is, “Do I need to be more careful about direct quotes or how I copy and paste information?? “ I want to be respectful of others and their work and not step on other’s toes or become involved in any copyright infringement. Clarification or advice on this matter would be appreciated. If this matter has been addressed recently, please let me know. I have had 10,000 (or so it seems) Irene babies and unable to hang out at TSB as much as I would like.

Marty

Marty, I only know of one copyrighted recipe, for Boo Balls.....can you PM me with others? The fact of the matter is that the internet sort of makes all the old rules fly out the window -- if you put it out here, it belongs to ALL OF US.

grandsquarent? Can you shed some light here, sir?
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

momma2boo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by UDoWhat
    I have noticed recently that there are more and more copyright notices being used on TSB by TSB members. I am wondering how this affects any posts that I write on TSB using that information that has a copyright on it. Often times, when in a hurry, (I type slowly) particularly in the Emergency or Help Needed sections of TSB, I will copy and paste some or all of the information from one section to another section of TSB as it pertains to another, similar, situation being addressed. Sometimes the info might be in part or whole my own words... or not at all my original typing or post. Sometimes, but not always, I will say that I am copying and pasting this info from others in my post . What are the implications of using the information from members that have now copyrighted their posts and threads? I understand and respect that some members may be writing books, articles and other publications and want to preserve their original thoughts, ideas, photos, recipes, etc. as their own work to use in these publications or for their own use as is their right. My question is, “Do I need to be more careful about direct quotes or how I copy and paste information?? “ I want to be respectful of others and their work and not step on other’s toes or become involved in any copyright infringement. Clarification or advice on this matter would be appreciated. If this matter has been addressed recently, please let me know. I have had 10,000 (or so it seems) Irene babies and unable to hang out at TSB as much as I would like.

Marty
    Marty,

You can copy and paste the Boo Ball recipe as many times as you would like.

Julie

M2B I must admit I have already done that 1000 times. The Boo balls have been so helpful for some of my picky adult injured and/or MBD squirrels too.

IR, I will go back and look up the names and/ or sights I was referring to. I had not noticed the copyrights before and was afraid I had missed something that I should or should not be doing. Years ago as a teacher, the county I taught in had such strict rules about coping anything. Just didn't want to be oblivious to stuff I should be paying attention to. Lack of sleep can do that to you!!!

Marty

And now... going to feed and go to bed. As of this afternoon only my 9 to feed. Sure seems easier than 26.

Marty, in general, you're in the clear as long as you're not copying and posting anything from the web with COMMERCIAL intent. If you want to be really safe, just copy the link to whatever you're quoting. If the URL is inserted, you're absolutely in the clear.

I realize the bigger issue is other TSB member intellectual property. If M2B is the only one who's actually copyrighted her recipe but has given the okay to share it, then you're all good.

It's always good to ask and smart to be aware.

(daughter of IP lawyer)