Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wild Grey with abcess???

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Default Re: Wild Grey with abcess???

I have pics of most meds...genuine and generic
    can you post a pic of the tablets...
    or call the vet back and ask?
    wish you were closer...I have meds out the wazoo...fresh.

I am currently treating two wilds with abcesses...even hauled one to the vet and I lanced an abcess on his back the size of a globe grape...
    just needed her iso...
    no drain was inserted, just a 1.25 inch slit and betedine flush everyday accompanied with ABs...
    but ya gotta get'em in the house and that can be tricky!
    Believe it or not...he now loves me...
    and one of my releases had a pinocchio nose{large abcess}...it burst within three days, just not enough skin to stretch another day...
    in the neck area, the abcesses can get very large due to soft skin and as Pierre has noted can spread down the arms and chest area...they are actually draining internally in some cases..others are large encapsulated infections running amok/amuk...
    and yes , sometimes two ABs are needed ...depending the resistance factor and the type bacteria...
    once it bursts...she will feel better...ABs will help expedite healing...
    again, baytril is safe in lactating mothers...please research before adding anything else to the protocol.
    still so worried about her obscured vision and preditor factor too.

mugzeezma Guest

It may even be some type of formulary med the Dr has made up?

Remember those chewables on another thread?

BabyBleu is up north I'm thinking...those blacks are not southern as far as I'm aware.

If the meds were compounded/formulated ...they came with a big price tag..
    i paid $60 to have two doxycycline tabs compounded by a pharmacy, never again...20 cents worth of AB...oye...
    chewables come in a foil package...so thinking with the dose the vet gave her to use with Clumpy, it PROBABLY is 22.7mg tablet...but who knows!?!
    I would call vet for verification myself...

Only blacks here were brought here...
    I think they are black due to temps in the region where they are commonly found, black absorbs heat sorta thing...no natural blacks in florida...just the ones that have been napped/imported and released...
    there is a community of black morphs in St.Cloud Florida...Starfairy updated info on them... released in 73 I think??? or 93??/
    I had one for several hours, head trauma...
    Rest In Peace sweet baby squirrel

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie in Tampa
    If the meds were compounded/formulated ...they came with a big price tag..
    i paid $60 to have two doxycycline tabs compounded by a pharmacy, never again...20 cents worth of AB...oye...
    chewables come in a foil package...so thinking with the dose the vet gave her to use with Clumpy, it PROBABLY is 22.7mg tablet...but who knows!?!
    I would call vet for verification myself...

Only blacks here were brought here...
    I think they are black due to temps in the region where they are commonly found, black absorbs heat sorta thing...no natural blacks in florida...just the ones that have been napped/imported and released...
    there is a community of black morphs in St.Cloud Florida...Starfairy updated info on them... released in 73 I think??? or 93??/
    I had one for several hours, head trauma...
    Rest In Peace sweet baby squirrel
    That's right STAR!
    I thought that was weird...a black in FL
    Can't save em all

I will go into the archive and check the Chumpy Mumps thread see what I can find
    As far as the label she has...if the techs print those off then it could be anything.
    I am inclined to say if it ain't broke don't fix it kind of thing...
    We just want to make sure she is getting enough and/or not too much
    Either scenario is bad news...especially if it becomes antibiotic resistant.

Yes, I am in the middle of Michigan. Jackie, you mentioned Cipro. I have some here that are 500 mg. What would the dosage be for a 1 lb squirrel?? I don't have any more of the baytril here or I would post a pic or look it up. I'll find out when I call the vet today. Thanks so much for all your help, guys. You are all definately life savers!!

Soooo..... is there any chance to catch her, lance, drain, and clean the abscess, and then let her go again??? Then the baytril you are giving her will have a much easier time completing the healing. You said this is a relapse already.

It is so hard to clear a big abscess like this with just AB's. It can be done, but is harder and takes longer. The reason is that there is no blood supply in the abscess. No blood supply means no medication getting into that "ball" of infection. It can only affect the margins [outer edge of the "ball"] where there is a blood supply. See what I mean? A slower way to kill all the bacteria.

Oh, my, I don't think I could do that myself... I'm pretty squeemish on that kind of stuff. Haven't seen her yet this morning but I'm sure she'll be around. I do have a wildlife rehabber in the area but I'm not sure about capturing and treating, as I'm not sure if she has babies or not. I'll post later on if it's better or not. She is rubbing her face on the tree after she eats, maybe she opened it up.

mugzeezma Guest

Usually they flush and pack that 'pocket' with antibiotics. It's a pretty long process...
    I will look up the dosing on Cipro, BB...I have an old tab a neighbor gave me but it's OOOLLLDDD
    tell me what how many MG the Cipro is and I can calculate it for you if needed...problem with that is that it will have to be crushed given in solution. I don't know how you will get it in her

the cipro I have is 500 mg. I have been crushing the baytril and diluting it with water and then soaking a monkey biscuit with the solution. She's been eating it like no tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by babybleu
    Yes, I am in the middle of Michigan. Jackie, you mentioned Cipro. I have some here that are 500 mg. What would the dosage be for a 1 lb squirrel?? I don't have any more of the baytril here or I would post a pic or look it up. I'll find out when I call the vet today. Thanks so much for all your help, guys. You are all definately life savers!!
    use 1/2 of a tablet...
    so 250mgs
    add 5ccs water
    making each 1ml/cc equal to 50 mgs
    recommended dose is 10mg/kg
    so for one pound sq the dose would be 0.1mg/cc bid or .2mg single dose daily
    store in fridge for 14 days max...
    make sure the cipro is fresh...
    good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by mugzeezma
    Usually they flush and pack that 'pocket' with antibiotics. It's a pretty long process...
    I will look up the dosing on Cipro, BB...I have an old tab a neighbor gave me but it's OOOLLLDDD
    tell me what how many MG the Cipro is and I can calculate it for you if needed...problem with that is that it will have to be crushed given in solution. I don't know how you will get it in her
    mix with avacodo or peanut butter and fill a peanut shell... it works!
    it's a minut amount...
    cipro/baytril tastes terrible...peanut butter hides alot of the taste...

I do have a wildlife rehabber in the area but I'm not sure about capturing and treating, as I'm not sure if she has babies or not.
    Well you wouldn't keep her, just treat and release. I know it could be hard to do, especially without help. Perhaps your local rehabber can help you.

Thanks for the dosage info. I called the vet and the baytril is 22.75. Guess it wasn't labeled correctly. Hope this answers your question and stops you from wondering, Mugz!!

I'm not understanding the dosage for the cipro. Do I give her the whole 1/2 of the cipro at one time or what. I'm not real good with cc's or mg. Can you make it simpler for me?

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre
    Well you wouldn't keep her, just treat and release. I know it could be hard to do, especially without help. Perhaps your local rehabber can help you.
    Actually the bigger centers may even have someone come out and trap for you

mugzeezma Guest

Thanks for the dosage info. I called the vet and the baytril is 22.75. Guess it wasn't labeled correctly. Hope this answers your question and stops you from wondering, Mugz!!
    WOW
    That is scary! Hope you mention that to the VET not the staff

mugzeezma Guest

I'm not understanding the dosage for the cipro. Do I give her the whole 1/2 of the cipro at one time or what. I'm not real good with cc's or mg. Can you make it simpler for me?
    half the tablet and 1 teaspoon of water

1tsp=5ccs or ml

mugzeezma Guest

half the tablet and 1 teaspoon of water

1tsp=5ccs or ml
    okay...you need to draw this up in a dosing syringe...theyt are marked...what do you have?

mugzeezma Guest

okay...you need to draw this up in a dosing syringe...theyt are marked...what do you have?
    Most syringes are marked in CCs
    the 1 mark is 1cc
    the little lines in between represent increments of 2 ...typically...you will have to check.
    .1cc twice a day and .2cc once a day is not much...a big drop

I just talked to my local rehabber and I'm going to send her pics of fatface and the mange girl. She's going to determine if it's necessary to capture and treat or if I should stay on the same protocol. She wants to sub-permit me, too, which would be great since I'm not in a squirrel friendly state.
    Mugz, I have a syringe with ml and tsp but I'm going to try to get another one today at Walmart to make it easier.
    I just don't know if I am supposed to give her the whole 1/2 cipro or just a portion of it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast