Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baby Squirrel Hurt

Kristal Guest

Default Re: Baby Squirrel Hurt

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom
    Just a word of caution, Kristal, if I may... We do have bot flies here. ....

I do think that waiting a week would definitely jeopardize the reunion with mom. Squirrels have a short emotional memory... mom will have assumed ther kit has been dead awhile by then. The kit will have grown and will smell very different too.

I would make sure the wound is clean and give one treatment of Baytril to help jumpstart the healing process but I would absolutely try to reunite with mom again today or tomorrow. If reunited then her mom will keep the wound clean for her little one. Their resilience is quite amazing.

I would allso place a small box of some sort, laid on its side with a blanket in it for the l ittle girl to go hide in. Having a "roof" over their head makes them feel more secure and will help keeping her calm.
    Yea, it seems that they have been found in Canada, though I had read previously that they are only in the southern US. Certainly they are not as common here as they are in the warm states, at least. I just glanced over an article about them which said that their distribution is not well documented, but that they have been found in southern Canada.

And about waiting too long, that is my concern, too. Squirrels have to be emotionally resilient because of how much loss they suffer through their lives. They do have strong attachments, but I would imagine that these would fade quickly. On the other hand, I remember reading about two siblings that were reunited in a rehabbers home on this board. They had been apart for months, and yet they remembered each other. Still, I would worry about chancing it with this baby. I suspect that a mom would reasonably assume that the kit had become raccoon food if it took too long to reunite them.

Also, I wonder if it is better to give no ABs at all than it is to give just one dose. I do not think that they have any negative effect on the immune system aside from killing beneficial intestinal and vaginal flora, though...

And yea, I suggested covering her up last night. As you can see in the second video, she is fairly calm today and even gave armage for Alex when he petted her...

My god, but they are so trusting at that age

There is 3 babies on the tree playing near the mother. Should I put the babies on the tree ? he can climb. Will he make it on his own and mother take him back ? because I tried several attemps and she didnt pick it up...

Quote Originally Posted by alex39
    There is 3 babies on the tree playing near the mother. Should I put the babies on the tree ? he can climb. Will he make it on his own and mother take him back ? because I tried several attemps and she didnt pick it up...
    I quickly read about you little squirrel. I would not try reuniting tonight. Is this the same mother that has come back to this little one several times, and just keeps ignoring it? First, it's too late in the evening now to try anything, and I doubt after this amount of time, the mama will take it back.
    What did you figure the age was again? If I read correctly it's estimated 5-6 weeks? Way too young, it may crawl up the tree and then get stuck. I think you have a baby squirrel on your hands that we can help you to raise, now I have to read your thread completely.

Is he sitting up better when he eats? Do you have him on formula? He still needs to be on formula, preferably Fox Valley 20/50 which can be purchased from http://www.foxvalleynutrition.com/main/home.asp, or from www.henryspets.com. Let me see if some of the members in Canada have some supplies that they can send to you. I'm sure that it would be a lot quicker than if I sent them from the states. Do you have flannel in the cage for him to burrow into? I can imagine that this little one is very scared, it would be easier on both of you if you handled him a little, just comfort him and pet him. Do you have other animals? You don't want to expose the squirrel to anything like a dog or cat, don't even let him see them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York
    Is he sitting up better when he eats? Do you have him on formula? He still needs to be on formula. Let me see if some of the members in Canada have some supplies that they can send to you. I'm sure that it would be a lot quicker than if I sent them from the states. Do you have flannel in the cage for him to burrow into? I can imagine that this little one is very scared, it would be easier on both of you if you handled him a little, just comfort him and pet him. Do you have other animals? You don't want to expose the squirrel to anything like a dog or cat, don't even let him see them.
    She is sitting now sometimes when she eats. But she only eats avocado. Not sure she is drinking from the bottle. She don't want formula. She is in cage with tons of clothes now. She trust me now and I have another squirrel almost 9 months old... They aint together I fear for disease/fleas... I didnt clean him yet because i want him to smell for his mother but I cleaned his tails wound with nexadin and water and it seem better now...

I do have a little left of fox valley 20/50 and HH blocks too

She don't want formula. She is in cage with tons of clothes now. She trust me now and I have another squirrel almost 9 months old... They aint together I fear for disease/fleas...
    Are you planning on releasing your 9 month old? What are you feeding your 9 month old, and what are you feeding your new little one? Diet is extremely important for these little ones...

Are you planning on releasing your 9 month old? What are you feeding your 9 month old, and what are you feeding your new little one? Diet is extremely important for these little ones...
    Yes trying to figure a plan but might have to wait another year. I feed hh blocks and vegies nuts and fruit to my older one. Read post above was edited...

She is sitting now sometimes when she eats. But she only eats avocado. Not sure she is drinking from the bottle. She don't want formula. She is in cage with tons of clothes now. She trust me now and I have another squirrel almost 9 months old... They aint together I fear for disease/fleas... I didnt clean him yet because i want him to smell for his mother but I cleaned his tails wound with nexadin and water and it seem better now...

Do you see any bugs/fleas on him? Seriously, I really doubt that the mom is going to take him back. She has passed him by many times, and I think sometimes they know when they need special care, and just aren't equipped to handle that....especaily if she has three others.

Do you see any bugs/fleas on him? Seriously, I really doubt that the mom is going to take him back. She has passed him by many times, and I think sometimes they know when they need special care, and just aren't equipped to handle that....especaily if she has three others.
    I dont see any but they hide very well in fur. I think she has some because I have tons of bites on me each day and each time I handle her..

I dont see any but they hide very well in fur. I think she has some because I have tons of bites on me each day and each time I handle her..

You could try Zodiac or Sargent Flea & Tick spray for cats and kittens. Make sure that it says its for use on kittens. DO NOT use any of the drops that you put on their shoulder. I have taken a tissue and sprayed it with the flea spray and then rubbed it all over the squirrel...try that and change the bedding as I'm sure it also has fleas in if she does.

Please look at the chart for the healthy foods to feed a squirrel. Your little one is in the growing phase and it's vital that he gets calcium rich foods. Avocado is a treat, if you notice on the food chart in the link I provided. Give him a variety of the good foods to choose from, avoid peanuts, and nuts in general. If you are feeding the HHB's they have enough nuts in them.
    Can you try grinding up a couple of the blocks, make a little formula and pour it over the blocks. See if he will at least eat some of that. He really needs calcium and the Fox Valley and the blocks are definitely the best source for that....and then try some of the recommended foods on the link.
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=28009

Just in case you don't get to the thread with the healthy foods, I thought I would post it here. This is compiled by 4skwerlz, one of our members!

try to reunite again...

She went for the tree. Mom went near but then went away in the nest. The little girl just went higher out of reach. now I can't even see her. A crow flew over.

She climbed a little less higher so I took the ladder and got her !!

Now I will mix Fox valley with avocado. Since she dont drink milk I will feed her mixture of FV and stuff ?

Kristal Guest

She has taken back kits three times, Nancy. So there was a good chance that she would take this one back, too. She has taken this one back before already. But she is lucky this year with 3 surviving kits. Maybe she is a bit overwhelmed and more likely to reject this one even though she only had a minor tail injury. Certainly after two days it was already less likely for the mom to take her back.

On the good side, she will have Daisy, who is probably her half sister, anyway.

I guess the dawn bath is advised to get rid of any fleas? Can you give step by step instructions for that?

momma2boo Guest

She climbed a little less higher so I took the ladder and got her !!

Now I will mix Fox valley with avocado. Since she dont drink milk I will feed her mixture of FV and stuff ?
    You could mix her up a batch of Boo Balls. It has rodent block, FV formula, pecans, baby food fruit, and coconut oil. Here's the recipe. It is soft and squirrels (even the picky ones) like it.

Ingredients:

50 grams rodent block (crushed to a fine powder) I use Harlan Teklad 2018.

50 grams powdered Fox Valley squirrel formula. I use 32/40.

50 grams crushed nuts. I NEVER use peanuts.

3 capsules of Multidolphilus.

20 grams "organic" coconut oil (melted) (I've reduced this to 10 grams since it is warmer weather and they don't need the extra fat)

1 jar (approximately 100 grams it's more like 115 grams ) of Earth's Best Organic baby food fruit (I use apples and plums)

Directions for mixing:

Mix dry ingredients together well (including the multidolphilus powder from inside the capsules).

Mix organic baby food fruit in to your dry ingredients until well blended. It will seem very wet.

Mix coconut oil into the mixture until well blended.

Put in the refrigerator for 5 hours (Overnight is even better). This lets it set up. It softens/moistens the rodent block and dissolves the FV.

Once you are ready to serve it take out about a 1/2 tsp (5 grams) of the mixture and roll is in your hands but not so much that it will melt the coconut oil. Give it to your squirrel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12