Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible Pox outbreak in St Pete, FL

JessicaLynn Guest

Default Re: Possible Pox outbreak in St Pete, FL

Lilidukes, that really means a lot to me, thank you! Everything else in my life has been put on hold because of this, and it's pretty tough. It's a very hard thing to go through, as you know. Even the ones that aren't around for that long mean a lot, and it's horrible seeing them in pain.

Jackie, I definitely trust your judgement. I definitely WILL NOT touch the ivermectin. It scares the crap out of me that I tried to treat the mange before I saw the pox! Thank goodness that Jr's still around!!! I was actually thinking about a topical route. Although I'd like to do it, Revolution (etc.) scares me when there's so much else going on. What about a little bit of a pyrethrin? Maybe a kitten miticide, just on the ears? Jr's ears look like they're getting painful. I put some ointment on them for the time being. He let me do it, so I think he was appreciative. Thank you!

Okay, this morning Steve came home!!! Jr did too, but I was worried that Steve was mad. Jr was waiting at the neighbor's back porch! Steve's ear was even more swollen. It's not the best pic, but you can see the swollen portion of his ear. The spot on his back has lost a little bit of hair, but it wasn't noticeable in pictures. He's still in pretty good shape, though. The tips of his ears are the slightest bit crusty. He took the dbl dose of medicine like a champ, and had a variety of fruits/veggies. I'm very proud of him! Now I'm just hoping I see him tomorrow!

Jr. was VERY energetic this morning! The sores on his face are scabbed, his stomach did not look any different. I didn't notice any new sores, but I just saw him last night. He tried to avoid swallowing the gross meds but he's enthusiastic about Nutella again, so I'm going to try and sneak it to him tonight! He didn't act like he wasn't hungry, just picky as usual. He ate well, considering! His ears are a bit ragged, and the hair between his ears and eyes is thinning out. He had a lot of fun with my sweater! It's better than my wrists, ouch!

So, if those pics help at all with the whole scab thing, what do you guys suggest? Jackie, should I do the Nystatin thing? I'd love to hear about the trash bin! I have not seen any horrible sores on any of the locals. There is a bit of itching, and I haven't seen the poxy ones today. So far, so good... I've got to work on the Nutriferon next, and anything else I can do to help the neighborhood. They still don't mind the e water. Whew, I hope I'm not forgetting anything!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

glad the boys are both
    participating...that's a good thing!

the trash can incident...just me being me...
    neighbors had 5 kids and generated alot of trash...so many many trash cans...
    yet with 5 kids ...no one was issued trash can detail/duty/chore and they were always in the street...for years...
    on occasion I would walk down and put them away and try to teach the motherless 5 some manners and etiquette, nicely!
    well one day I was having sod delivered and I had a crew working on the house I owned next door {a flipper} well the sod truck could not get thru so he threatened to leave, sod and all...NO DELIVERY...
    I guess it was the final straw...so I got in my trusty van and backed those trash can s right up to his front door...of course one got stuck under my van..meanwhie I had alot of spectators on the clock watching and giggling...so as I tried to go forward and backward rocking/releasing the can from beneath my vehicle ...the pOOlice showed up!
    Yes I got a ticket...but after I paid it stupidly, my attorney said on private property no ticket could be issued and I was clearly on his porch!!!
    The officer was the dads friend...so it was unwarranted...BUT we never had trash cans in the street again! and I got my sod...
    This is the same father that I punched in the face...really the only human I have ever touched in my life...not even my son was ever smacked in his crazy teenage years...goes to show you there are morons on everyblock...that can push a peaceful person over the edge...

I will say that I called the pooolice as the kids got older and burned rubber for sometimes long enough to fill the air with that terrible smell...they have since been foreclosed, the dad went to prison for three years for mul'ing cocaine from South america...I still see the kids around and they are surprisingly better mannered since being with their auntie! amen!

You ought to hear the stories about the tree trimmer that throws sqs in the chipper ...he and I have had some run in's!...

and then there's the most recent issue of the neighbor who threatened me with MY BEE"S ...told me if one of my bee's bit his children he was going to...????
    well guess what...when his pool turned green...I marched my butt over to his house and told him if one of his skitters bit me or fred...
    he was renting...he has moved!
    I am a tree hugging 106lb rebel...
    but I really am nice and civil ..I swear!

sorry to thraed jack...but that'll give ya something to laugh at!

I have ordered more nystatin based meds from vet...will let you know when we have them!!!!
    Keep up the good work jessica...and as far as doing more...I can only say to use your own judgement as I have limited knowledge and experience with other treatment routes...ugh!

thank you J!!!!!
    saving sqs is the most wonderful fullfilling thing I have ever done in my life... and helping you with yours has me sleeping well!

Just wondering if applying a little ivermectin solution topically to the ears would knock out a few mites and be safer than oral.... (Don't beat me, Jackie, I'm just asking....)

Poor lil' punkins, it's so hard to see them like this, it must be uncomfortable. But you're right, they look pretty good and so lucky to be getting treatment.

I'm optimistic for a great outcome.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

Quote Originally Posted by 4skwerlz
    Just wondering if applying a little ivermectin solution topically to the ears would knock out a few mites and be safer than oral.... (Don't beat me, Jackie, I'm just asking....)

Poor lil' punkins, it's so hard to see them like this, it must be uncomfortable. But you're right, they look pretty good and so lucky to be getting treatment.

I'm optimistic for a great outcome.
    ??
    no beatings today...well maybe Palmer if she doesn't quiet down...omgosh! she has been barking for 6 hours non stop...I may leave!
    Hi Leigh!

JessicaLynn
    Sorry to hear about your boys. Glad to see them taking there med.
    I used GNC ECHINACEA EXTRACT
    This was added to all watering stations, and I even started more of them. It sure help the Wild Squirrels heal a little bit faster.
    I also tried the Wal-Mart bran! Please don't use that one. The Squirrels quite drinking the water.
    The GNC ECHINACEA taste like tea. Open 1 capsule to 1 gal of water. This is the 500 mg capsule. I would pre mixing all judges the night be for.
    I used old milk judges. I had Squirrels coming up to 6 blocks to eat and drink. They would not take the other meads.
    So they just got the ECHINACEA WATER. In 1 week you could see a difference in all my Outside POX SQUIRRELS!
    PS
    GS1 Has a picture of the bottle some where.
    Skul sent it to her long time ago. She has also posted it be for.
    Good luck. Christal

JessicaLynn Guest

I'm sorry I've been slacking; by the time I get all of my babies medicated and happy I'm usually exhausted! I'm at my sister's house, typing on my phone, so this will be somewhat brief.

This morning marks the fourth day in a row that Steve has come home! Yay! He even stopped by twice yesterday. The sore on his ear has shrunk a bit, and it seems like the two small ones on his back are not getting any worse.

Jr has not missed any treatments. The sore on his stomach doesn't look much better, but it's not getting worse anymore. I'm still wondering if the reason I've found people suggesting removal or treatment of the scabs is because it halts the recurrence of a sore... He only has one more scab on his face, and his ears are looking slightly better.

They are both acting like they feel MUCH better! I'll share more pics soon!

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaLynn
    I'm sorry I've been slacking; by the time I get all of my babies medicated and happy I'm usually exhausted! I'm at my sister's house, typing on my phone, so this will be somewhat brief.

This morning marks the fourth day in a row that Steve has come home! Yay! He even stopped by twice yesterday. The sore on his ear has shrunk a bit, and it seems like the two small ones on his back are not getting any worse.

Jr has not missed any treatments. The sore on his stomach doesn't look much better, but it's not getting worse anymore. I'm still wondering if the reason I've found people suggesting removal or treatment of the scabs is because it halts the recurrence of a sore... He only has one more scab on his face, and his ears are looking slightly better.

They are both acting like they feel MUCH better! I'll share more pics soon!
    This is good news. It seems as though once the lesions stop progressing--lesions not increasing in size, and no new lesions--you've got it beat. Hoping and praying that's what is happening here.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

this update is wonderful!

JessicaLynn Guest

Hey guys!

Not much has changed recently. Jr has not made it home the last two mornings, so yesterday I had to give him a dbl dose at night. I'll do the same today. His two main sores are the only significant ones he has now. The one under his eye has a large scab that makes it look worse, and the sore under his leg has since lost its scab and is hardening again. I still don't know if this will continue in those spots if I don't medicate topically, or if they will eventually heal like the others. He's still slightly itchy, but his ears aren't crusty anymore! He's definitely feeling better, and he voices his objection to the medicine (but he's happy once I give him some almond butter!).

Steve has actually been coming home twice a day for a while now, but I haven't split his dosage because I know, with my luck, he'll quit it if I do. His skin looks pretty good, he's just got a bit of a sore on his back (still has hair, and it's only barely noticeable). The sore that was swelling his ear has since gone down. There is a small dark scab there, and I'm not quite sure how that will heal due to its location.

I'll try to get pictures tonight but I will be in a hurry, so if they take to long to satisfy I might have to wait until tomorrow.

YAY FOR HEALTHIER SQUIRRELS!!! KEEP IT UP, GUYS!!!

JessicaLynn Guest

I'm SO sorry it's taken so long for an update! I haven't been able to catch a break, but I've been putting it off for too long.

Well, I can't find a single bump on Steve!!! In one of the pictures, you can see where the scab on his ear is gone, and he's looking pretty dang handsome!

Jr's face is healing quite nicely. In the picture below, there's still a bit of a scab, but this pic is a couple days old. It now looks more like Steve's ear. The sore on his stomach is healing as well. He is liking the medicine less and less, and will not take anything that remotely smells like it.

It seems like (more so with Jr) administering the meds is affecting our relationship. They will still come in, and they'll enjoy the food and rubdowns after the meds, but they aren't as trusting as they used to be. I guess that their health is the most important issue, though.

I do have a question about the meds. Jackie, this may be one for you. How long should I continue? I don't want to give them more than I need to (I'm sure it's a lot on their little systems), but I don't want to stop prematurely. I'm almost out of Acyclovir, so I'm guessing, at the least, I'll need to get more for Jr. I've got Baytril, so I can continue as needed with that. They made it, guys! I couldn't have done it without your help/support/advice!

I've seen a few poxy guys in my backyard. They're taking the echinacea water, and they love the HHBs that my boys are to picky to eat. I haven't seen any drastic changes in those guys, but I'm keeping a close eye on them.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

pattil Guest

Unhappy Re: Possible Pox outbreak in St Pete, FL

I live in NE St. Petersburg and saw a wild squirrel in my front year yesterday with what I think was a severe case of POX (after some researching on the internet). He had pox marks all over his entire body and one eye looked like it was blind. Other than that he acted like a normal squirrel, running on the ground and up into the trees. I hope this will be an isolated case and the rest of our squirrels will not catch this virus. I had never seen this before, has anyone else started to see this in NE area of St. Petersburg?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.