Thread: Dull, patchy fur?

allie Guest

Default Dull, patchy fur?

Hi all!!

I don't post often having recently joined, but I do enjoy reading all of your useful and fun information. It seems my ~1 yr. old grey squirrel, has begun to lose some fur. Patchy in places, and seems dull. She appears to otherwise be fine, and active (thanks to all of you!!). Feeding HHBs 1-2 day, variety of veggies, limited nuts and fruits. Is there something I am missing? She does like to sleep on several small rocks she keeps putting in her bed, maybe she is losing fur by rubbing on the rocks??????
    Any and all thoughts appreciated. ( I never knew I would have so much enjoyment being "owned" by a squirrel. Official name: Jasmine, often used name "little miss cranky pants; and my husband's name for her "Fang."

Default Re: Dull, patchy fur?

Quote Originally Posted by allie
    Hi all!!

I don't post often having recently joined, but I do enjoy reading all of your useful and fun information. It seems my ~1 yr. old grey squirrel, has begun to lose some fur. Patchy in places, and seems dull. She appears to otherwise be fine, and active (thanks to all of you!!). Feeding HHBs 1-2 day, variety of veggies, limited nuts and fruits. Is there something I am missing? She does like to sleep on several small rocks she keeps putting in her bed, maybe she is losing fur by rubbing on the rocks??????
    Any and all thoughts appreciated. ( I never knew I would have so much enjoyment being "owned" by a squirrel. Official name: Jasmine, often used name "little miss cranky pants; and my husband's name for her "Fang."
    Can you post a pic?

Are you giving any other supplements?

How long has she been on the Healthy Diet?
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

Allie

"my husband's name for her "Fang"...

lilidukes Guest

Hi allie

Could just be molting. We love pics

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lilidukes
    Could just be molting. We love pics
    Molting more than likely. Are there any crusty or irritated spots?

You can try adding a wee bit of Omega 3-6-9 complex (fish, flax, olive oils).

allie Guest

Thank you for your helpful comments and a reply to some of your ????s

1) Only on HHBs for about 2 months now.....we're new to TSB...
    2) No other supplements.....No flax, olive oil, omega-3 (should I be adding some of those items in?) how much? a pinch?
    3) No crusting, scabbing, redness, irritation or itching,

From one of the great pics someone just posted, I think it may be what some of you said, "scruffy molt"....rest of fur is not "loose" to the touch.....Should I just assume "benign neglect" as a treatment for this....It doesn't seem like mange....

lilidukes Guest

Molting is their form of shedding. Likely loosing the last of his baby fur. Though the tail will shed some more like a dog. Watch what pretty fur follows

Quote Originally Posted by allie
    Thank you for your helpful comments and a reply to some of your ????s

1) Only on HHBs for about 2 months now.....we're new to TSB...
    2) No other supplements.....No flax, olive oil, omega-3 (should I be adding some of those items in?) how much? a pinch?
    3) No crusting, scabbing, redness, irritation or itching,

From one of the great pics someone just posted, I think it may be what some of you said, "scruffy molt"....rest of fur is not "loose" to the touch.....Should I just assume "benign neglect" as a treatment for this....It doesn't seem like mange....

When a squirrel first changes to the Healthy Diet, some have a quick "fur transformation," where it seems like their fur goes from dull to thick and shiny with no visible molting process. Other squirrels have a difficult molt the first time after switching, and then grow in a shiny new coat. Subsequent molts should be normal; i.e., no bare patches. Bare patches during molting are never "normal," but always a sign of stress, illness, parasites, or nutritional deficits.

I have no opinion on adding olive oil, flax oil, or fish oil, as their use in squirrels is experimental and the evidence anecdotal. I have had one reliable report of an increase in energy in a squirrel after adding flax oil; and a report from a flyer expert that her flyers' coats were shinier after adding fish oil. On the other hand, the 400-600 tree squirrels currently eating the Healthy Diet seem to do very well in the fur department with no added supplements.

So, I wouldn't worry. I would strongly recommend that you see what her coat looks like in a few weeks. Then if her fur still isn't as full and shiny as we expect, you could trying adding...something...and see if there's a difference.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.