Thread: 1 yr old male Grey Squirrel not eating as good, wet scrotum??Baytril?

Default 1 yr old male Grey Squirrel not eating as good, wet scrotum??Baytril?

I'd posted for my daughter in SC that was traveling last year about her squirrel Dewie that lost a lot of weight with a sitter (she's great now and fat so she must have missed her). One of her friends has a 1 year old Grey squirrel and she told her friend about this site. She has dial up and asked if I could write and post pictures she text me as she couldn't get it to load and after she signed up was unable to post. She found the baby last March as a carpenter put hardware cloth under house as squirrels eat water pipes where they are. The baby ended up being stuck there and was screaming. She fed out the baby whom her vet thought was born around March 2010 (he's retired). She got Henry's blocks and lately has got Mazuri. He eats about 4-5 in the am and at night chayote, artichoke, mushrooms, beans etc (gives one or two of them and no fruit -I told her ya'll warned about it). Yesterday she said he ate little (he'd had corn 2 times on the cob which he hasn't in 10 + months prior to that.) She also bought Cholla cactus wood and wondered if he injured himself in his privates. She sent a picture of down there and said he looks fine but it's wet. When she gets him out he grabs her arm and does gutteral grunting noise which he normally does-she said mating noise? If you look at the last picture in 1-11 and now these he's lost weight. She made pictures of his teeth and wondered if they are too long. She wondered what all to let him chew on? He chewed a little of plastic arm of computer desk and computer desk in one second time. I told her a shell so she gave a conch shell.. Any ideas? She has a bottle of 2.27% 20 ML Baytril Injectable that her vet sold her prior to closing as no one see's them where she is. She wonder about giving it orally? She's very concerned! Thanks for any help! Kimberly
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Default Re: 1 yr old male Grey Squirrel not eating as good, wet scrotum??Baytril?

Oops here's the scrotum one it didn't post sorry! Also, not sure how to put this but he periodically masturbates with his mouth down there. That part isn't wet it's edge of scrotum though. She had someone post before and ya'll thought he might be diabetic so she stopped all fruit. I wonder if the corn could have caused it she gave him although it was like Friday she said. Also, what do you wash your veggies in to make sure no pesticides? I know rats are very sensitive. Please let me know if the injectable Baytril can be used as oral medicine whether you think he needs it or not. The secretary had called and asked to buy it from her and she was going to let her unless it can be used. I read it could and then couldnt? thanks!

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Default Re: 1 yr old male Grey Squirrel not eating as good, wet scrotum??Baytril?

injectible baytril and tablets were the only thing baytril made until a few years ago, yes it can be given orally. You will need a weight in grams.
    HIs lower teeth are long and there is the possibility that they can puncture the roof of his mouth, they need to be trimmed. Can you get a better pic of his uppers, are they there or have they been broke off?
    For the lowers to over grow, there maybe something going on in his mouth.
    Most male sqs do the silly. The long lower teeth may be another problem with that, and if trimmed, they MUST be filed so he does not injure his penis.
    I will think clearer in a little while...

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie in Tampa

injectible baytril and tablets were the only thing baytril made until a few years ago, yes it can be given orally. You will need a weight in grams.
    HIs lower teeth are long and there is the possibility that they can puncture the roof of his mouth, they need to be trimmed. Can you get a better pic of his uppers, are they there or have they been broke off?
    For the lowers to over grow, there maybe something going on in his mouth.
    Most male sqs do the silly. The long lower teeth may be another problem with that, and if trimmed, they MUST be filed so he does not injure his penis.
    I will think clearer in a little while...
    POUR UP A CUP OR @ FOR ME AS WELLzzzzzzz

YES bite may be off for teeth to grow like that or he isn't getting enough chewing material,,,even so they grind their teeth to keep them in shape.

Baytril tabs can be dosed here if you cannot get the oral suspension,

Yep..lower teeth are way too long, and this may well be the cause of the weight loss - difficulty/pain with eating... He needs to have the roof of his mouth carefully inspected for injury too.

So the injectible is fine for her to give orally? I left a message for her and she called from a neighbors as they had bad weather and her phone is out. She's called all over and there is no vet that will see a squirrel. She said he's chewing on his cage constant. Could he split the teeth? Should she try to file them? She also has a dremel she's used on parrots beaks. Which is least likely to split it clipping with german tool or filing? She will get a picture of the top teeth. She said to tell ya'll that she'd pulled his bottom lip down really low to make sure looked ok when the picture was made. Do they still look too long? She attempted to look in roof of mouth and it looked fine but will relook. thanks!

He sure is a handsome boy but he needs some help from experienced squammy, anyone close by who could look at and trim teeth if needed?

He is obviously loved

It's a mess of a situation. They'd gone to KY to work and tornados hit in TN and AL and my foster daughters friend went to help with disaster stuff. My daughter has run around with another co-worker to 5 different hardware stores. Wonder if these would work if a rehabber or vet can't be found? thanks!

I explained in PM...still working on getting you help...brb

Default Re: Jackie tried to PM you back and your full :)

Jackie it says you need to delete some messages. Thanks so much! Your great!!!

I did

Someone on here is working to try to reach one rehabber in KY. Does anyone else know a vet or rehabber in TN, or KY. I know a vet but he's out of town, the owners vet is in the Carolinas and he's retired but one of his techs said there is another that is okay but that's along trip. Thanks

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by exoticanimalrescue
    It's a mess of a situation. They'd gone to KY to work and tornados hit in TN and AL and my foster daughters friend went to help with disaster stuff. My daughter has run around with another co-worker to 5 different hardware stores. Wonder if these would work if a rehabber or vet can't be found? thanks!
    NO!!!
    Use same type of configuration sharp TOENAIL NIPPERS
    those look like wire cutters and may shatter the teeth.

Just to update everyone, this nice lady is a Henry's customer who had called me earlier today about the tooth problem. Jackie in Tampa is now helping her offline, and is also trying to contact a great TSB rehabber who lives in the area and may be able to help hands-on. One way or another, they will get the squirrel's teeth clipped tonight or tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed!
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

She also bought these from Salley Hansen. They tail nail nippers but are stainless I think. It says to soak nail or may crack Also went to 7 different places both in KY and TN border and the Revlon files all have points. They said they'd discontinued the rounded ones. We bought a shaper and a finisher. Does anyone know a Diane that rehabs in KY? A vet clinic gave her name and number but wasn't sure about them calling her? Thanks!

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 4skwerlz
    Just to update everyone, this nice lady is a Henry's customer who had called me earlier today about the tooth problem. Jackie in Tampa is now helping her offline, and is also trying to contact a great TSB rehabber who lives in the area and may be able to help hands-on. One way or another, they will get the squirrel's teeth clipped tonight or tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed!

the nippers for toe nails are better than the wire cutters ...you want something sharp.
    These folks will set you up