Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

momma2boo Guest

Default Re: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

Almost peed a little in my pants when TM told me.
    Mom tested ... squirrel approved. (think Jiff)

I just want to say also for this recipe. I, like several others have mentioned, use a variation. I right now have 9 sqs I am overwintering and this has been such a help as they all love it! I add a good quality yogurt and have started spreading the mixture in a pan & baking at 225 degrees, then cutting into squares. My 2 non-release and the crazy 9 ALL LOVE IT! They eat their regular blocks and veggies too of course. They all say

Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Tickle's Mom
    Boo Balls now have the seal of approval from MOM

When mom is over for dinner, or football etc., she always rummages the fridge and especially the crisper drawers, which is where I keep all of the squirrel food. Hubby KNOWS those drawers are off-limits, but mom, well.......not so much.

I asked her to set the table for me last night as she was, well, getting in my way and asking a zillion questions.

Imagine my surprise as we sat down to dinner and alongside the Fire/Ice pickles, there, in a bowl, complete with mini-tongs were BOO BALLS.

Four were missing.

When mom is over for dinner, or football etc., she always rummages the fridge and especially the crisper drawers, which is where I keep all of the squirrel food. Hubby KNOWS those drawers are off-limits, but mom, well.......not so much.

I asked her to set the table for me last night as she was, well, getting in my way and asking a zillion questions.

Imagine my surprise as we sat down to dinner and alongside the Fire/Ice pickles, there, in a bowl, complete with mini-tongs were BOO BALLS.

Four were missing.
    ~ Priceless!! ~

mpetys Guest

Four were missing.

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Four were missing.

Well, I guess if she ate four of them, she liked them. Did she say anything about eating them? Did you tell her after dinner that they were for the squirrels?

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

Tickle's Mom Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Milo's Mom
    Well, I guess if she ate four of them, she liked them. Did she say anything about eating them? Did you tell her after dinner that they were for the squirrels?

She said they needed just a little more sour cream and then they will be perfect "booze balls"

And no, I didn't have the heart to tell her "BOOZE BALLS with sour cream" are for squirrels only.

momma2boo Guest

She said they needed just a little more sour cream and then they will be perfect "booze balls"

And no, I didn't have the heart to tell her "BOOZE BALLS with sour cream" are for squirrels only.

Bah hahahahahahaha

Booze Balls ... would that be like Rum Balls? Have I told you recently that I LOVE your mom?

Tickle's Mom Guest

Quote Originally Posted by momma2boo
    Bah hahahahahahaha

Booze Balls ... would that be like Rum Balls? Have I told you recently that I LOVE your mom?
    Me too.
    Wanna share her? I can interpret!

Sour cream??????

momma2boo Guest

Sour cream??????
    that's what happens to the FV when you add the "booze"

that's what happens to the FV when you add the "booze"

momma2boo Guest

Thumbs up Re: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

I have received many emails requesting the Boo Ball recipe broken down into understandable measurements for those who do not use a gram scale so here it is ... as promised.

Here is the recipe and instructions for my Boo Balls:

Ingredients:

50 grams (rounded 1/4 Cup) rodent block (crushed to a fine powder) I use Harlan Teklad 2018.

50 grams (1/2 Cup) powdered Fox Valley squirrel formula. I use 32/40.

50 grams (1/3 Cup) crushed pecans. You can substitute any nut you prefer, however I NEVER use peanuts.

3 capsules of Multidolphilus

10 grams (approx. 3/4 tsp) "organic" coconut oil (melted) (I reduced the coconut oil over the summer)

1 jar (119 grams) of Earth's Best Organic baby food fruit (I use apples and plums)

*You may decrease the nut amount over time. Eventually your squirrel will eat plain Harlan Teklad with no problem. I still offer the Boo Ball but it's nice to know I can throw in a handful of HTs and they will munch on them throughout the day.

Directions for mixing:

Mix dry ingredients together well (including the multidolphilus powder from inside the capsules).

Mix organic baby food fruit in to your dry ingredients until well blended. It will seem very wet.

Mix coconut oil into the mixture until well blended.

Put in the refrigerator for a few hours. This lets it set up. It softens/moistens the rodent block and dissolves the FV.

Once you are ready to serve it take out about a 1/2 -1 tsp of the mixture and roll is in your hands but. Give it to your squirrel. Give them as many as they want. This food is fed freely.

You may bake this recipe if your squirrel prefer crunchy to soft or if you want to offer them both. Mine prefer it soft but it's nice to offer a change from time to time.

You can roll the Boo Ball and then use the bottom of a glass greased with coconut oil to flatten into a cookie or you can roll the entire batch into a tube and then cut or you can roll out the dough and use a cookie cutter ... the possibilities are endless.

Place the cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet and place in a preheated oven (225 - 250). Bake approximately 15 - 20 minutes then flip them and put them back in for an additional 15 - 20 minutes. Because of the different thicknesses and shapes of the possibilities of cookies the baking time will very a bit. Please judge for yourselves when they seem to be dried. You're not cooking them ... you're dehydrating them.

I have received many emails requesting the Boo Ball recipe broken down into understandable measurements for those who do not use a gram scale so here it is ... as promised.

Here is the recipe and instructions for my Boo Balls:

Ingredients:

50 grams (rounded 1/4 Cup) rodent block (crushed to a fine powder) I use Harlan Teklad 2018.

50 grams (1/2 Cup) powdered Fox Valley squirrel formula. I use 32/40.

50 grams (1/3 Cup) crushed pecans. You can substitute any nut you prefer, however I NEVER use peanuts.

3 capsules of Multidolphilus

10 grams (approx. 3/4 tsp) "organic" coconut oil (melted) (I reduced the coconut oil over the summer)

1 jar (119 grams) of Earth's Best Organic baby food fruit (I use apples and plums)

*You may decrease the nut amount over time. Eventually your squirrel will eat plain Harlan Teklad with no problem. I still offer the Boo Ball but it's nice to know I can throw in a handful of HTs and they will munch on them throughout the day.

Directions for mixing:

Mix dry ingredients together well (including the multidolphilus powder from inside the capsules).

Mix organic baby food fruit in to your dry ingredients until well blended. It will seem very wet.

Mix coconut oil into the mixture until well blended.

Put in the refrigerator for a few hours. This lets it set up. It softens/moistens the rodent block and dissolves the FV.

Once you are ready to serve it take out about a 1/2 -1 tsp of the mixture and roll is in your hands but. Give it to your squirrel. Give them as many as they want. This food is fed freely.

You may bake this recipe if your squirrel prefer crunchy to soft or if you want to offer them both. Mine prefer it soft but it's nice to offer a change from time to time.

You can roll the Boo Ball and then use the bottom of a glass greased with coconut oil to flatten into a cookie or you can roll the entire batch into a tube and then cut or you can roll out the dough and use a cookie cutter ... the possibilities are endless.

Place the cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet and place in a preheated oven (225 - 250). Bake approximately 15 - 20 minutes then flip them and put them back in for an additional 15 - 20 minutes. Because of the different thicknesses and shapes of the possibilities of cookies the baking time will very a bit. Please judge for yourselves when they seem to be dried. You're not cooking them ... you're dehydrating them.

NOW I see this! Do you know how CAREFULLY I measured out 50 grams of each then 20grams of the coconut oil; taring the weight of the measuring cup and adding blocks and nuts one at a time????????? Till the scale said 50 too, mind you; no 49, not 51.....

Ahhh well. I didnt have the multidolphilus powder and saw yogurt could be used, but didn't add that either. Sitting in the fridge maybe 20 minutes from the magical 5 hour mark sos I can try them on the boys, who are almost asleep. Well Joey is I think. Butchie is having a bit of a tantrum .
    SQUIRRELS!! Blog for Butchie and Joey and other squirrels too

Selling handmade crocheted items to support my critters

https://www.etsy.com/shop/crochetedcreations14

Visit me on Facebook

PayPal addy sdreamcatcher@gmail.com

momma2boo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sdreamcatcher
    NOW I see this! Do you know how CAREFULLY I measured out 50 grams of each then 20grams of the coconut oil; taring the weight of the measuring cup and adding blocks and nuts one at a time????????? Till the scale said 50 too, mind you; no 49, not 51.....

Ahhh well. I didnt have the multidolphilus powder and saw yogurt could be used, but didn't add that either. Sitting in the fridge maybe 20 minutes from the magical 5 hour mark sos I can try them on the boys, who are almost asleep. Well Joey is I think. Butchie is having a bit of a tantrum .

You're quite the funny one! Well, good job just the same ... you are one committed squirrel parent!

You're quite the funny one! Well, good job just the same ... you are one committed squirrel parent!

Visions of a sick Butchie danced in my head; I wanted to get everything exact to help him get and STAY healthy, Joey too. Though they didn't want them, brats, lol. Maybe in the morning; they did just eat and it is their bedtime . I was excited to have all the ingredients to make these though (thank you, Marty!!).

Visit me on Facebook

momma2boo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sdreamcatcher
    Visions of a sick Butchie danced in my head; I wanted to get everything exact to help him get and STAY healthy, Joey too. Though they didn't want them, brats, lol. Maybe in the morning; they did just eat and it is their bedtime . I was excited to have all the ingredients to make these though (thank you, Marty!!).
    Yeah, if I try to feed mine after they have gone to bed they turn their cute little noses up at them too.

Keep in mind, although not many turn their noses up some do. You can try to roll them in sesame seeds or bake them on low until dried out/crispy.

I have one NR that prefers them baked, 4 that prefer them soft (1 is a flyer). Then I have one who although likes them soft, if I roll them in sesame seeds she picks them off and tosses them all over. She acts like she is peeling the boo ball.

Yeah, if I try to feed mine after they have gone to bed they turn their cute little noses up at them too.

Keep in mind, although not many turn their noses up some do. You can try to roll them in sesame seeds or bake them on low until dried out/crispy.

I have one NR that prefers them baked, 4 that prefer them soft (1 is a flyer). Then I have one who although likes them soft, if I roll them in sesame seeds she picks them off and tosses them all over. She acts like she is peeling the boo ball.

EXACTLY what Joey did!! Turned up his cute little nose, lol. Butchie is still having a tantrum; mean mommy won't let him sleep in the cold window, and he is protesting his cage. Sigh......

Visit me on Facebook

I just made some up we will see if the Princess Pixie likes them after a while she just ate so she is napping. They are cute when they nap
    Pixel Jones "Released" Best squirrel I ever had.

momma2boo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by patjones
    I just made some up we will see if the Princess Pixie likes them after a while she just ate so she is napping. They are cute when they nap
    They are cute when they nap ... little angels!

I've been looking for this for quite awhile.

Thank you!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5