Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 132

Thread: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    In a little stone house...
    Posts
    1,778
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

    [Bumping for Lolie]


  2. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Augusta Georgia
    Posts
    164
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

    Whats Multidolphilus?

  3. #43
    momma2boo Guest

    Default Re: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolie
    Whats Multidolphilus?
    It's the good stuff found in yogurt ... if you buy it in the cold section it will be live cultures. That is what I prefer. You might know it better by the name acidophilus (good gut bacteria) ... think of the yogurt Activia. It is the same stuff that is in there.

  4. #44
    momma2boo Guest

    Default Re: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe



    In case anyone is looking for the recipe. Because it is not a sticky it tends to get pushed further and further down the list until it is impossible to find.

    BTW: In the summer months I decrease the coconut oil to 10 grams. Also, a member contacted me about baking them to make them crunchy since her squirrel didn't like the soft batch Boo Balls ... I told her to roll them out and cut them like cookies and bake them on low heat (200-250) until baked enough to remove moisture. I also said a food dehydrater should work too. I don't know how long she baked them for (I've never done it before but I am going to bake Boo Ball Autumn Cookies soon) but she said her squirrel loved them. Yay! I'm all about whatever works for the squirrels.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    3,145
    Thanked: 119

    Default Re: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

    So many of us use this!!! Why is this not a sticky??
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

    His Holiness The Dalai Lama


    The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

    Émile Zola

  6. #46
    momma2boo Guest

    Default Re: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

    Quote Originally Posted by jo_schmoe
    So many of us use this!!! Why is this not a sticky??
    Because it has not been analysed. According to IR, TSB can't just allow anything to become as sticky without it being analysed since if they do then they would have to allow all kinds of stuff ... good or bad. Harlan Teklad has analysed their rodent block, Fox Valley has analysed their formula, Earth's Best organic baby foods has been analysed, Pecan's (for human consumption) have been analysed, and so has organic coconut oil but apparently when they are combined a new analysis must be run before it can become a sticky. I refuse to spend money, I could use in feeding and caring for the squirrels, to run an analysis.

    I wonder who did the analysis on the Goat's milk replacement?

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    3,145
    Thanked: 119

    Default Re: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre
    Great idea about adding kale and broccoli! Never tried that... I wish I had! I'll try it with his outside bunch.


    Regarding coconut oil, it actually has a great following for health benefits. I have not read up on it but others here have. Coconut oil supposedly raises metabolic rate some allowing the body to burn up more calories and it supposed to help stabilize blood glucose levels [there shouldn't be those carb-related spikes--it's therefore useful for diabetics].

    Coconut meat has sugar but not the 100% oil.
    Im one of those people who is a big coconut oil fan! In addition to all that was said....its the only oil that is not stored in the body. It goes directly to the liver and is turned into energy rather than stored into fat. GREAT stuff!!
    I'd also like to add that we now use it in our cooking. Since I made the switch I have lost 13 pounds and have more energy after eating!
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

    His Holiness The Dalai Lama


    The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

    Émile Zola

  8. #48
    momma2boo Guest

    Default Re: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

    Quote Originally Posted by jo_schmoe
    Im one of those people who is a big coconut oil fan! In addition to all that was said....its the only oil that is not stored in the body. It goes directly to the liver and is turned into energy rather than stored into fat. GREAT stuff!!
    I'd also like to add that we now use it in our cooking. Since I made the switch I have lost 13 pounds and have more energy after eating!
    That's IT .... I am going to start eating the stuff by the spoonful!

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    3,145
    Thanked: 119

    Default Re: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

    Has anything really ever been tested for squirrels?? Any of it?? Really?? Its my understanding that it all has been tested or based on lab rats....and I don't know about anyone else...but I see some HUGE differences in a rat and a squirrel. Rats live on the ground...squirrels do not. That makes a huge difference as far as diet and nutritional needs. Just sayin.
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

    His Holiness The Dalai Lama


    The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

    Émile Zola

  10. #50
    momma2boo Guest

    Default Re: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

    Quote Originally Posted by jo_schmoe
    Has anything really ever been tested for squirrels?? Any of it?? Really?? Its my understanding that it all has been tested or based on lab rats....and I don't know about anyone else...but I see some HUGE differences in a rat and a squirrel. Rats live on the ground...squirrels do not. That makes a huge difference as far as diet and nutritional needs. Just sayin.
    Not that I am aware of. I believe squirrel nutrition has all been based on the daily requirements of rats.

  11. #51
    mpetys Guest

    Default Re: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

    Quote Originally Posted by jo_schmoe
    Im one of those people who is a big coconut oil fan! In addition to all that was said....its the only oil that is not stored in the body. It goes directly to the liver and is turned into energy rather than stored into fat. GREAT stuff!!
    I'd also like to add that we now use it in our cooking. Since I made the switch I have lost 13 pounds and have more energy after eating!
    That is interesting about it not being stored in the body. Makes sense that it would be a better oil to cook with. How does it cook? That is, is there any differences we should know about? Can it take the same temps at other oils?

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Auntie MM's Boutique
    Posts
    15,814
    Thanked: 6426

    Default Re: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

    Quote Originally Posted by mpetys
    That is interesting about it not being stored in the body. Makes sense that it would be a better oil to cook with. How does it cook? That is, is there any differences we should know about? Can it take the same temps at other oils?
    And, does it give a hint of coconut flavor to anything that you use it for in cooking/baking?

    Top quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, toys, & nest boxes.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

    TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: www.AuntieMMsCustomBoutique.com Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page



  13. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    3,145
    Thanked: 119

    Default Re: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

    It has a very low melting point. So dont turn the heat on much when you do cook with it. It tastes like it smells...roasted coconut. It does give a hint of coconut taste to what you cook in it....but shrimp has never tasted better!!!
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

    His Holiness The Dalai Lama


    The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

    Émile Zola

  14. #54
    momma2boo Guest

    Default Re: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

    Quote Originally Posted by jo_schmoe
    It has a very low melting point. So dont turn the heat on much when you do cook with it. It tastes like it smells...roasted coconut. It does give a hint of coconut taste to what you cook in it....but shrimp has never tasted better!!!
    Where is the salivating smiley? LOL

  15. #55
    mpetys Guest

    Default Re: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

    Quote Originally Posted by jo_schmoe
    It has a very low melting point. So dont turn the heat on much when you do cook with it. It tastes like it smells...roasted coconut. It does give a hint of coconut taste to what you cook in it....but shrimp has never tasted better!!!

    Grocery list - shrimp and coconut oil - check. That sounds so good I just might cook tonight!

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    In a little stone house...
    Posts
    1,778
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

    Quote Originally Posted by jo_schmoe
    Has anything really ever been tested for squirrels?? Any of it?? Really?? Its my understanding that it all has been tested or based on lab rats....and I don't know about anyone else...but I see some HUGE differences in a rat and a squirrel. Rats live on the ground...squirrels do not. That makes a huge difference as far as diet and nutritional needs. Just sayin.
    Eggz-actly. Saying that Boo Balls might not be good for the squirrels is so strange.

    We all applaud them eating rat blocks. They're the only thing we feed that actually has clinical [including longevity] data in rats.

    Fox Valley. Say no more. Many suggest even giving it to adults sqs if they'll still take it.

    Apples. No problem. Almonds. One of the better nuts.

    It's just a plate of rat blocks, apples, fox valley, couple of almonds, etc. and then add various greens and wild foods.

    Most wildlife centers make something like this---adding formula to some kind of block or biscuit. Wouldn't do it if it killed sqs.

    Boo Balls are a great food option.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    70
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

    I finally made my first batch tonight! They are sitting in the fridge and hopefully Sandy will enjoy one in the morning! I had to go to two different stores to track down the coconut oil. Publix was out! But little Sandy is worth it!

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Auntie MM's Boutique
    Posts
    15,814
    Thanked: 6426

    Default Re: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

    When I make Boo Balls for my gang, sometimes I use the baby food, but most times I use my homemade applesauce, which contains nothing but smashed up apples from the tree in the back yard. This year has been the worst year for my tree...well not the tree, more so for me...all of the squirrels ate all of the apples...I had an entire tree full of apples and now, there might be 10 apples on it.
    Apples do have sugar naturally, but if the wilds are eating that many of them (last year I made 62 quarts of apple sauce from that tree alone) I feel pretty safe using my "pure" apple sauce for Boo Balls.

    I had to get apples from my Mom's trees to make apple sauce this year.

    Top quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, toys, & nest boxes.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

    TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: www.AuntieMMsCustomBoutique.com Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page



  19. #59
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    N. America
    Posts
    8,108
    Thanked: 553

    Default Re: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

    would like to add something about fructose.
    Fructose is just the natural sugar that is found in fruit. As such and unless one has blood sugar problems (or diabetes, and similar problems), it is not only not harmful, but also needed, in moderation, of course (even cabbage in excess can do some harm).

    However, the fructose, listed as an ingredient in cereals etc, that is extracted or processed fructose and that's bad, including high fructose corn syrup and stuff like that. This is the stuff that can lead to diabetes, liver problems and so on.

    some baby food variety doesn't contain the added fructose, only what naturally occurs in fruit, and hence is similar to a slice of apple or banana. except it's not a whole slice, but all mashed to a baby food texture.
    Unsweetened applesauce is from the same category and should be just fine, too.

    There are many other things in fruit (e.g., fibre, enzymes, elements etc etc) that work with fructose and all together synergistically so that no one thing (e.g., fructose) starts overpowering, sort of "dominating" everything and everyone causing some harm. That's why it is always suggested to grab a piece of fruit instead of juice (although, juices have some benefits, too and should be fine for healthy ppl as long as there are no added sugars (and processed fructose is an added sugar)

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    3,145
    Thanked: 119

    Default Re: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

    Quote Originally Posted by astra
    would like to add something about fructose.
    Fructose is just the natural sugar that is found in fruit. As such and unless one has blood sugar problems (or diabetes, and similar problems), it is not only not harmful, but also needed, in moderation, of course (even cabbage in excess can do some harm).

    However, the fructose, listed as an ingredient in cereals etc, that is extracted or processed fructose and that's bad, including high fructose corn syrup and stuff like that. This is the stuff that can lead to diabetes, liver problems and so on.

    some baby food variety doesn't contain the added fructose, only what naturally occurs in fruit, and hence is similar to a slice of apple or banana. except it's not a whole slice, but all mashed to a baby food texture.
    Unsweetened applesauce is from the same category and should be just fine, too.

    There are many other things in fruit (e.g., fibre, enzymes, elements etc etc) that work with fructose and all together synergistically so that no one thing (e.g., fructose) starts overpowering, sort of "dominating" everything and everyone causing some harm. That's why it is always suggested to grab a piece of fruit instead of juice (although, juices have some benefits, too and should be fine for healthy ppl as long as there are no added sugars (and processed fructose is an added sugar)
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

    His Holiness The Dalai Lama


    The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

    Émile Zola

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 7

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •