Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

momma2boo Guest

Default Re: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

Quote Originally Posted by 4skwerlz
    Way to go. I think this is great. I am curious, once you get the numbers from the lab, what are you going to compare them with? Seems like you can't use the "per kg diet" numbers since BBs (like HHBs) are "dosed" rather than fed freely.
    I don't understand your terms "dosed" vs. fed freely.

I use the NRLA.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndHandRanchRescue
    I just have to say I just love all this good food for squirrels. Before I met you guys I had boring old rodent block and no-one would eat . It was a battle and I'm sure my squirrels lacked their vitamins. I love HHBs, I like BooBalls, and I like BooBall variation. Squirrels are so fickle with food - its so good to have all this variety (and veggies) I actually got in an arguement with my feed store "expert" she was trying to replace my Mazuri block I ordered with a bag of salted roasted peanuts (30#) and a bag of sunflowerseeds (50#) geeze! TSB has made me a better rehabber. Now if I could just get some of those awesome Costa Rican fruits here........
    Yes it is wonderful to have choices isn't it? I think it's funny how those feed store employees think they are experts at what wildlife should eat

momma2boo Guest

I simply mean "feeding a certain number of the balls/blocks per day" vs. "feeding them as 100% of the diet."

If you use the NRLA, those requirements are based on the food being 100% of the diet. In other words, a food that contains the amounts in the NRLA (per kg of diet), must be fed as 100% of the diet to obtain the required nutrient amounts. The NRLA reqs are set up that way because lab rats eat 100% lab blocks (unless it's some kind of special diet study), and the NRLA requirements are meant as guidelines for companies that make lab blocks. If you feed less lab block than 100%, the animal won't get enough nutrition.

Wish I could think of a way to make it clearer... In the "Henry's Healthy Blocks Open Discussion Thread," the first post has some graphics to illustrate the concept. Maybe that would help.
    I understand now.

Boo Balls are their staple and I add veggies to their diet for variety. I will calculate what percentage the veggies make up of their daily intake and adjust if necessary.

Let's get the analysis done and posted before we jump to the next what if, ok?

One step at a time.

momma2boo Guest

Sure.

It helps if you remember that the "per kg diet" calculation flows from the daily requirement (RDA) or daily value (DV), because the basic biological reality is that it takes X amount of each nutrient per day to maintain the body.

Anyhow, hope I didn't offend. Guess I miss the days when we all used to work together on this kind of project.
    Not offended, Leigh. I don't want to get overwhelmed right out of the gate. I have much on my plate right now ... it's graduation time again and we have two giant ceremonies on Monday. I am already overwhelmed from the stress related with that, we are looking for a place to move since our lease is up at he end of the this month and the landlord decided he wanted one of his employees to move in so we have a little over 2 weeks to find a new place to move to, pack up this house, and move into another. Oh yeah ... we haven't found one yet.

I would love nothing more than to have input from all of TSB but not right now. OK?

I guess I should've explained sooner.

Julie

Tickle's Mom Guest

MommaBoo2 - just wanted to say THANK YOU for this recipe. My little 12 week old paralyzed girl who was losing weight loves these things. At least so far! It is SO nice to have options. Many thanks again

momma2boo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Busysqrl
    MommaBoo2 - just wanted to say THANK YOU for this recipe. My little 12 week old paralyzed girl who was losing weight loves these things. At least so far! It is SO nice to have options. Many thanks again
    I heard she turned her nose up at it. Odd squirrel you got there, but happy to hear she ate an HHB.

momma2boo Guest

I am bumping this recipe just in case anyone wants to use it and cannot find it. Since it is not a sticky it got buried under many new posts.

Unfortunately we don't come from money and are unable to afford to have a nutrition analysis done ... we can either care for the critters or pay for an analysis. You guess which one we chose. I just don't feel as though it is necessary to do an analysis on a recipe that has ingredients that have already been analysed just for the few who question it. Anyone who wants to pay to have it analysed is more than welcome to spend their money to do so.

I will simply continue to bump the recipe from time to time to keep it easily available for anyone interested in using it.

Thanks so much! My released squirrel Grayson will still nibble on them when I leave him food outside. He loves them and ate them every morning while inside with me.

At 12 months he still looks wonderful [11 months inside with me]. He always looked healthy with a soft think shiny coat and was very athletic and energetic. I made my Boo Balls with Harlan Teklads. Because of this, he will also still eat the HT blocks straight.

Thanks for developing and sharing Boo's recipe!
    If anyone hasn't tried them, do. Most every squirrel loves them.

I have a question, I made them and my guys wouldn't eat them....but I think because it is like more of a cookie dough kind of thing, they didn't like the stickiness. Even rolling in sesame seeds did not help. Could one cook them, say on 200-250 to make more of a cookie kind of thing (even rolling them in sesame before doing so) so maybe they would be more enticed to eat them?
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

Quote Originally Posted by momma2boo

I am bumping this recipe just in case anyone wants to use it and cannot find it. Since it is not a sticky it got buried under many new posts.

Unfortunately we don't come from money and are unable to afford to have a nutrition analysis done ... we can either care for the critters or pay for an analysis. You guess which one we chose. I just don't feel as though it is necessary to do an analysis on a recipe that has ingredients that have already been analysed just for the few who question it. Anyone who wants to pay to have it analysed is more than welcome to spend their money to do so.

I will simply continue to bump the recipe from time to time to keep it easily available for anyone interested in using it.
    M2B, I believe we do need a soft food choice for our sq. kids. This is a great choice. I have used it often with other choices too. It is wonderful.

Marty
    UDoWhat
    State Licensed Master Wildlife Rehabiltator
    Vice President, State Wildlife Rehabiltators Association

I agree about the analysis stuff.... good ingredients=good food! And since the bulk of these are Fox Valley and rodent blocks...it seems a no-brainer to me. Princess Scrat loves these... I switch up the blocks I use in it, and the baby food ( but pear baby food is her fav). I still feed HHB's too, and she also eats Muzuri Blocks - but I love having a little variety.

I first came to TSB just as you lost Boo... so I never really knew him...but this is a great legacy. Here's to happy healthy squirrels!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pappy1264
    I have a question, I made them and my guys wouldn't eat them....but I think because it is like more of a cookie dough kind of thing, they didn't like the stickiness. Even rolling in sesame seeds did not help. Could one cook them, say on 200-250 to make more of a cookie kind of thing (even rolling them in sesame before doing so) so maybe they would be more enticed to eat them?
    I always freeze mine and my guys love them fresh out of the freezer. I love how easy the recipe is to put together and how one can add some veggies (like kale or broccoli to it). My guys would prostitute themselves for kale boo-balls and they just love broccoli ones too. I couldn't get them to eat kale or broccoli at all and that is the only way I found to make them eat those greens. Now I don't have to worry so much about them getting their natural-based calcium and vitamins

So, all in all, my guys get 2 boo-balls a day, veggie ones or regular ones, and then 2 blocks - either Henry's blocks or Teklad - although they tend to stash the Teklad rather than eat them... so when I see they didn't take them, then at night as a midnite snack I give them another boo-ball or HHB.

My only concern might be the sugar contents... my guys are all purty plump and it makes me wonder... does the coconut oil contain much sugar? Or... does anyone have suggestions?
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My sweet Scooter, my darling Hami... YOU brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done now and you can enjoy your freedom. We'll meet at the Bridge again some day... and I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

I am a little bad as I do not measure exactly. I'm not worried about that though because they are made of blocks and FV primarily [~67%- 75%], with the last 25% - 30% being a mix of some combo of: no-sugar apple sauce, almond butter, and some crushed nuts.

Because of the above, once in awhile mine were a little "stickie" at first too. Usually over night in the fridge removed this, or I'd add a little more crushed block.

momma2boo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom
    My guys would prostitute themselves for kale boo-balls and they just love broccoli ones too.
    I laughed out loud ... actually snorted just a little. <snort>

My only concern might be the sugar contents... my guys are all purty plump and it makes me wonder... does the coconut oil contain much sugar? Or... does anyone have suggestions?
    Good news ... no sugar in the coconut oil.

I reduce the coconut oil in the warmer months and increase it in the colder ones. Right now I am only adding 10 grams of the coconut oil.

momma2boo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre
    Because of the above, once in awhile mine were a little "stickie" at first too. Usually over night in the fridge removed this, or I'd add a little more crushed block.

You're right, overnight generally takes care of the stickiness but if it doesn't, adding a bit more crushed block will take care of that.

momma2boo Guest

What kind of block are you using? Could it be the block they don't like?

I don't think there would be any reason you couldn't use a food dehydrator to make them more like a crunchy cookie. Low temps will not alter the vitamins like high temps do. Play with it ... find what works for you and your fuzz-butts and go with that.

I always pay attention to what my fuzzers are telling me.

momma2boo Guest

I always freeze mine and my guys love them fresh out of the freezer.

Hmmmm .... this sound like a great summer treat. Frozen Boo Balls! I think I will freeze mine. You can also do this in small batches so that you don't have to continuously make them. Make a large batch and divide it up in freezer bags and freeze. Take a bag out and place in the refrigerator as needed. Great idea, Scooterzmom!

I always freeze mine and my guys love them fresh out of the freezer. I love how easy the recipe is to put together and how one can add some veggies (like kale or broccoli to it). My guys would prostitute themselves for kale boo-balls and they just love broccoli ones too. I couldn't get them to eat kale or broccoli at all and that is the only way I found to make them eat those greens. Now I don't have to worry so much about them getting their natural-based calcium and vitamins

Great idea about adding kale and broccoli! Never tried that... I wish I had! I'll try it with his outside bunch.

Regarding coconut oil, it actually has a great following for health benefits. I have not read up on it but others here have. Coconut oil supposedly raises metabolic rate some allowing the body to burn up more calories and it supposed to help stabilize blood glucose levels [there shouldn't be those carb-related spikes--it's therefore useful for diabetics].

Coconut meat has sugar but not the 100% oil.

Quote Originally Posted by momma2boo
    Hmmmm .... this sound like a great summer treat. Frozen Boo Balls! I think I will freeze mine. You can also do this in small batches so that you don't have to continuously make them. Make a large batch and divide it up in freezer bags and freeze. Take a bag out and place in the refrigerator as needed. Great idea, Scooterzmom!
    Princess Scrat likes hers frozen too

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 9