Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

momma2boo Guest

Default Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

ADMINISTRATION: PLEASE MAKE THIS A PERMANENT STICKY. This was a sticky but somehow it lost its "stickiness".

Here is the recipe and instructions for my Boo Balls:

There have been a couple of changes. I used to use Kaytee and HT. I now only use Harlan Teklad. I also alternate the type of nuts I use to keep my squirrels from becoming bored. I use almonds, pecans, or sometimes I mix a bit of waltnuts in with one of the others.

Ingredients:

50 grams rodent block (crushed to a fine powder) I use Harlan Teklad 2018.

50 grams powdered Fox Valley squirrel formula. I use 32/40.

50 grams crushed nuts. I NEVER use peanuts.

3 capsules of Multidolphilus.

20 grams "organic" coconut oil (melted)

1 jar (approximately 100 grams) of Earth's Best Organic baby food fruit (I use apples and plums)

Directions for mixing:

Mix dry ingredients together well (including the multidolphilus powder from inside the capsules).

Mix organic baby food fruit in to your dry ingredients until well blended. It will seem very wet.

Mix coconut oil into the mixture until well blended.

Put in the refrigerator for 5 hours (Overnight is even better). This lets it set up. It softens/moistens the rodent block and dissolves the FV.

Once you are ready to serve it take out about a 1/2 tsp (5 grams) of the mixture and roll is in your hands but not so much that it will melt the coconut oil. Give it to your squirrel.

I feed two of these a day. One in the morning and one in the evening. Between these two feeding I give them their assorted fresh vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, avocado, field greens, red bell pepper, cooked sweet potato, cucumber, zucchini, grape tomatoes, occasionally a piece of a baby carrot ... the list of veggies can go on and on and on.

Tickle's Mom Guest

Default Re: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

I ran out of Fox Valley

What can I use in its place, if anything?????
    I know, bad mama I am

momma2boo Guest

I don't use anything BUT Fox Valley but I guess until it comes in you can use crushed Tums to ensure they get their calcium.

Tickle's Mom Guest

Tickle's Mom Guest

Sorry, our posts must have crossed paths

TUMS I have

Okay, someone's in the kitchen with TM, someone's in the kitchen I knooooowwwwwww, someone's in the kitchen with TM, gnawing on her little toes!!!!!!! That was me singing - good thing there's NO SOUND to these posts

Tickle ran over my feet!!!!!

momma2boo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tickle's Mom
    Sorry, our posts must have crossed paths

TUMS I have

Okay, someone's in the kitchen with TM, someone's in the kitchen I knooooowwwwwww, someone's in the kitchen with TM, gnawing on her little toes!!!!!!! That was me singing - good thing there's NO SOUND to these posts

Tickle ran over my feet!!!!!
    No worries ... glad you have tums. Love a squirrel who's loose in the kitchen. Meg used to come into the kitchen and steal tomatoes off the counter.

BeeFernandez22 Guest

Made the first batch of these yesterday and the babies could not wolf them down fast enough! Whoo! Made them without the nuts and oil though.

momma2boo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BeeFernandez22
    Made the first batch of these yesterday and the babies could not wolf them down fast enough! Whoo! Made them without the nuts and oil though.

I deliver a giant bowl of yummies every morning to each pen, since we can't make it home for the lunch time feeding. The bowls include: Endive, dandelion greens, green romaine, tomatoes, zucchini, red pepper, carrotts, sweet potato, gently steamed broccoli and sugar snap peas, a piece of apple (or cantelope or mango or a grape ... or, or, or), mushrooms, avocado, and a Boo Ball. I'll be darned if they don't go for the Boo Ball before the go for anything else. Every once in a while they go after the avocado first but the BB is a close second.

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by momma2boo

I deliver a giant bowl of yummies every morning to each pen, since we can't make it home for the lunch time feeding. The bowls include: Endive, dandelion greens, green romaine, tomatoes, zucchini, red pepper, carrotts, sweet potato, gently steamed broccoli and sugar snap peas, a piece of apple (or cantelope or mango or a grape ... or, or, or), mushrooms, avocado, and a Boo Ball. I'll be darned if they don't go for the Boo Ball before the go for anything else. Every once in a while they go after the avocado first but the BB is a close second.
    Julie,
    Would you mind if I posted the BooBall variations to this? The BBVI & BBVII?

momma2boo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mugzeezma
    Julie,
    Would you mind if I posted the BooBall variations to this? The BBVI & BBVII?
    Go for it, Mugz. Knock yourself out, Kiddo. LOL

M2b if I feed 2 @ 5 grams each every day how much calcium is each of my squirrels getting daily? And why the Multidolphilus? Will they (BB) upset tummies without?

Thanks
    ~Kit~
    Foothills Animal Rescue - we are a federally permitted volunteer group dedicated to the rehabilitation and release of injured and orphaned wildlife encompassing the entire area of upstate South Carolina and part of Hendersonville, North Carolina. USDA Licensed and Federally Permitted to handle all wildlife.
    Calls accepted 24/7 (864)282-1917

mugzeezma Guest

Go for it, Mugz. Knock yourself out, Kiddo. LOL
    there isn't a smilie for that

mugzeezma Guest

This is what I do and have had success with:
    A good probiotic like BeneBac (found at petfood stores) or yogurt can be mixed in as well.

It's a variation on Momma2Boos BooBall recipe or BooBall Variations one & two
    In honor of Julie who's idea this originally was and her squirrel Boo

This is the mix I give my Squirrels along with plain old unadulterated rat blocks and fresh vegetables and a little fruit (fruit sugars in the recipe)

All of these recipes have the ingredients finely ground and stored dry in the freezer until needed.

~Once you add the WET ingredients store in the refrigerator.
    ~Let the recipe set for one hour before deciding if more fruit sauce is required....
    they are gooey when first blended and need time for the dry ingredients to absorb
    ~You can either roll the dough all at once into balls to be stored in a container or roll them up as needed out of the bag.

I feed between 5-10 per day depending on the age of the squirrel.

BBVI...Weaning recipe

in a sandwich bag mix ( I use this method because I can blend the ingredients by squishing it with my hands.

1/2 cup finely ground rat block...KayTeeFortiDiet PLUS, Oxbow Regal Rat, Mazuri, SunSeed Critter Cubes
    1/2 cup dry formula powder...can be powdered goatsmilk, FoxVally20/50, Esbilac,Goatsmilk Esbilac
    1 - 4oz jar applesauce or ALL fruit babyfood such as Gerber organics pears and raspberry
    1/8 tsp coconut oil

BBVII...adult recipe

in a sandwich bag mix ( I use this method because I can blend the ingredients by squishing it with my hands.

1/2 cup finely ground rat block...KayTeeFortiDiet PLUS, Oxbow Regal Rat, Mazuri, SunSeed Critter Cubes
    2 tsp finely ground nuts...I prefer hazelnuts but pecans and other nuts can be used.
    1-2 Tums or any antacid containing elemental calcium...Tums has 320mg
    1 - 4oz jar applesauce or ALL fruit babyfood such as Gerber organics pears and raspberry
    1/8 tsp coconut oil

You can also get Omega 3-6-9 capsules and and squeeze on in per bag mix.

Another thing people have done is roll these balls in Ca rich Sesame seeds.
    there is really no end to the variety here.

M2B you mentioned you mixed them up a different way...I posted for small batch.

momma2boo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SoccarMomSquirrelSaver
    M2b if I feed 2 @ 5 grams each every day how much calcium is each of my squirrels getting daily? And why the Multidolphilus? Will they (BB) upset tummies without?

Thanks
    Working on your calculations. Multidophilus keeps the good gut bacteria where it should be. Good for people, good for squirrels. Instead of giving yogurt since some squirrels have issues with dairy. Keeps their intestinal floura plentiful.

Working on your calculations. Multidophilus keeps the good gut bacteria where it should be. Good for people, good for squirrels. Instead of giving yogurt since some squirrels have issues with dairy. Keeps their intestinal floura plentiful.
    ~Kit~
    Foothills Animal Rescue - we are a federally permitted volunteer group dedicated to the rehabilitation and release of injured and orphaned wildlife encompassing the entire area of upstate South Carolina and part of Hendersonville, North Carolina. USDA Licensed and Federally Permitted to handle all wildlife.
    Calls accepted 24/7 (864)282-1917

BeeFernandez22 Guest

[QUOTE=momma2boo]

I deliver a giant bowl of yummies every morning to each pen, since we can't make it home for the lunch time feeding. The bowls include: Endive, dandelion greens, green romaine, tomatoes, zucchini, red pepper, carrotts, sweet potato, gently steamed broccoli and sugar snap peas, a piece of apple (or cantelope or mango or a grape ... or, or, or), mushrooms, avocado, and a Boo Ball. I'll be darned if they don't go for the Boo Ball before the go for anything else. Every once in a while they go after the avocado first but the BB is a close second. QUOTE]

Oh yes, avocado.. Another favorite with my kids. Tied with blueberries. Then again, there's not too much my little girl doesn't like. Hence her nickname, Ollie-potumus And Pistachio is just stingey and wants whatever is in Ollie's mouth.

mugzeezma Guest

Did this get STUCK yet?

momma2boo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mugzeezma
    Did this get STUCK yet?
    Not going to until I have my professional analysis done by the lab. I have a listing of labs. We are ready to send it off. Boo Balls will be analyzed and returned to me for posting. Stay tuned folks.

Tickle's Mom Guest

Not going to until I have my professional analysis done by the lab. I have a listing of labs. We are ready to send it off. Boo Balls will be analyzed and returned to me for posting. Stay tuned folks.

I just have to say I just love all this good food for squirrels. Before I met you guys I had boring old rodent block and no-one would eat . It was a battle and I'm sure my squirrels lacked their vitamins. I love HHBs, I like BooBalls, and I like BooBall variation. Squirrels are so fickle with food - its so good to have all this variety (and veggies) I actually got in an arguement with my feed store "expert" she was trying to replace my Mazuri block I ordered with a bag of salted roasted peanuts (30#) and a bag of sunflowerseeds (50#) geeze! TSB has made me a better rehabber. Now if I could just get some of those awesome Costa Rican fruits here........
    Nancy
    Illinois Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator

take a peek at my website for fun happenings and cute critters!

http://www.2ndhandranch.com/index.html

Thank you to all that made the Rehab Cottage dream come true

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 7