Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

Hybrid View

momma2boo Guest

Default Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

ADMINISTRATION: PLEASE MAKE THIS A PERMANENT STICKY. This was a sticky but somehow it lost its "stickiness".

Here is the recipe and instructions for my Boo Balls:

There have been a couple of changes. I used to use Kaytee and HT. I now only use Harlan Teklad. I also alternate the type of nuts I use to keep my squirrels from becoming bored. I use almonds, pecans, or sometimes I mix a bit of waltnuts in with one of the others.

Ingredients:

50 grams rodent block (crushed to a fine powder) I use Harlan Teklad 2018.

50 grams powdered Fox Valley squirrel formula. I use 32/40.

50 grams crushed nuts. I NEVER use peanuts.

3 capsules of Multidolphilus.

20 grams "organic" coconut oil (melted)

1 jar (approximately 100 grams) of Earth's Best Organic baby food fruit (I use apples and plums)

Directions for mixing:

Mix dry ingredients together well (including the multidolphilus powder from inside the capsules).

Mix organic baby food fruit in to your dry ingredients until well blended. It will seem very wet.

Mix coconut oil into the mixture until well blended.

Put in the refrigerator for 5 hours (Overnight is even better). This lets it set up. It softens/moistens the rodent block and dissolves the FV.

Once you are ready to serve it take out about a 1/2 tsp (5 grams) of the mixture and roll is in your hands but not so much that it will melt the coconut oil. Give it to your squirrel.

I feed two of these a day. One in the morning and one in the evening. Between these two feeding I give them their assorted fresh vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, avocado, field greens, red bell pepper, cooked sweet potato, cucumber, zucchini, grape tomatoes, occasionally a piece of a baby carrot ... the list of veggies can go on and on and on.

Tickle's Mom Guest

Default Re: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

I ran out of Fox Valley

What can I use in its place, if anything?????
    I know, bad mama I am

momma2boo Guest

I don't use anything BUT Fox Valley but I guess until it comes in you can use crushed Tums to ensure they get their calcium.

Tickle's Mom Guest

Tickle's Mom Guest

Sorry, our posts must have crossed paths

TUMS I have

Okay, someone's in the kitchen with TM, someone's in the kitchen I knooooowwwwwww, someone's in the kitchen with TM, gnawing on her little toes!!!!!!! That was me singing - good thing there's NO SOUND to these posts

Tickle ran over my feet!!!!!

momma2boo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tickle's Mom
    Sorry, our posts must have crossed paths

TUMS I have

Okay, someone's in the kitchen with TM, someone's in the kitchen I knooooowwwwwww, someone's in the kitchen with TM, gnawing on her little toes!!!!!!! That was me singing - good thing there's NO SOUND to these posts

Tickle ran over my feet!!!!!
    No worries ... glad you have tums. Love a squirrel who's loose in the kitchen. Meg used to come into the kitchen and steal tomatoes off the counter.

Made the first batch of these yesterday and the babies could not wolf them down fast enough! Whoo! Made them without the nuts and oil though.

mugzeezma Guest

Did this get STUCK yet?

momma2boo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mugzeezma
    Did this get STUCK yet?
    Not going to until I have my professional analysis done by the lab. I have a listing of labs. We are ready to send it off. Boo Balls will be analyzed and returned to me for posting. Stay tuned folks.

Tickle's Mom Guest

Quote Originally Posted by momma2boo
    Not going to until I have my professional analysis done by the lab. I have a listing of labs. We are ready to send it off. Boo Balls will be analyzed and returned to me for posting. Stay tuned folks.

I just have to say I just love all this good food for squirrels. Before I met you guys I had boring old rodent block and no-one would eat . It was a battle and I'm sure my squirrels lacked their vitamins. I love HHBs, I like BooBalls, and I like BooBall variation. Squirrels are so fickle with food - its so good to have all this variety (and veggies) I actually got in an arguement with my feed store "expert" she was trying to replace my Mazuri block I ordered with a bag of salted roasted peanuts (30#) and a bag of sunflowerseeds (50#) geeze! TSB has made me a better rehabber. Now if I could just get some of those awesome Costa Rican fruits here........
    Nancy
    Illinois Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator

take a peek at my website for fun happenings and cute critters!

http://www.2ndhandranch.com/index.html

Thank you to all that made the Rehab Cottage dream come true

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndHandRanchRescue
    I just have to say I just love all this good food for squirrels. Before I met you guys I had boring old rodent block and no-one would eat . It was a battle and I'm sure my squirrels lacked their vitamins. I love HHBs, I like BooBalls, and I like BooBall variation. Squirrels are so fickle with food - its so good to have all this variety (and veggies) I actually got in an arguement with my feed store "expert" she was trying to replace my Mazuri block I ordered with a bag of salted roasted peanuts (30#) and a bag of sunflowerseeds (50#) geeze! TSB has made me a better rehabber. Now if I could just get some of those awesome Costa Rican fruits here........
    Yes it is wonderful to have choices isn't it? I think it's funny how those feed store employees think they are experts at what wildlife should eat

I purchased some of the calcium powder from henrys pets to dust over their veggies. Would this be a suitable replacement for the fox Valley in these Boo Balls? I can order some if not. My babies are 1 year olds.

Thank you in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by hladyv View Post
    I purchased some of the calcium powder from henrys pets to dust over their veggies. Would this be a suitable replacement for the fox Valley in these Boo Balls? I can order some if not. My babies are 1 year olds.

Thank you in advance!
    I think you could but why? I make Boo balls all the time for mine and think the fox valley is an important part of the recipe. The fox valley has calcium in it plus so much more.
    Dont let anyone tell you it's just a squirrel. Tell them they have never taken the time to let a squirrel get into your heart!

momma2boo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 4skwerlz
    Way to go. I think this is great. I am curious, once you get the numbers from the lab, what are you going to compare them with? Seems like you can't use the "per kg diet" numbers since BBs (like HHBs) are "dosed" rather than fed freely.
    I don't understand your terms "dosed" vs. fed freely.

I use the NRLA.

momma2boo Guest

I simply mean "feeding a certain number of the balls/blocks per day" vs. "feeding them as 100% of the diet."

If you use the NRLA, those requirements are based on the food being 100% of the diet. In other words, a food that contains the amounts in the NRLA (per kg of diet), must be fed as 100% of the diet to obtain the required nutrient amounts. The NRLA reqs are set up that way because lab rats eat 100% lab blocks (unless it's some kind of special diet study), and the NRLA requirements are meant as guidelines for companies that make lab blocks. If you feed less lab block than 100%, the animal won't get enough nutrition.

Wish I could think of a way to make it clearer... In the "Henry's Healthy Blocks Open Discussion Thread," the first post has some graphics to illustrate the concept. Maybe that would help.
    I understand now.

Boo Balls are their staple and I add veggies to their diet for variety. I will calculate what percentage the veggies make up of their daily intake and adjust if necessary.

Let's get the analysis done and posted before we jump to the next what if, ok?

One step at a time.

momma2boo Guest

Sure.

It helps if you remember that the "per kg diet" calculation flows from the daily requirement (RDA) or daily value (DV), because the basic biological reality is that it takes X amount of each nutrient per day to maintain the body.

Anyhow, hope I didn't offend. Guess I miss the days when we all used to work together on this kind of project.
    Not offended, Leigh. I don't want to get overwhelmed right out of the gate. I have much on my plate right now ... it's graduation time again and we have two giant ceremonies on Monday. I am already overwhelmed from the stress related with that, we are looking for a place to move since our lease is up at he end of the this month and the landlord decided he wanted one of his employees to move in so we have a little over 2 weeks to find a new place to move to, pack up this house, and move into another. Oh yeah ... we haven't found one yet.

I would love nothing more than to have input from all of TSB but not right now. OK?

I guess I should've explained sooner.

Julie

Thanks again for helping me out with these! Lila is obsessed with them! How long does that mixture stay good in the fridge? Thanks again!!
    KATIE

Quote Originally Posted by lila01
    Thanks again for helping me out with these! Lila is obsessed with them! How long does that mixture stay good in the fridge? Thanks again!!

My Grayson loved them too!! He always was [still is] very healthy, athletic, and with a wonderful coat. I overwintered him last year and these were his primary food, then I added other healthy foods during the day.

I have seven babies now that are eating / nibbling on harlan teklads right now [tho still nursing]. They're getting ready for their coming Boo Balls!!

Yum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 7