Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

Default Re: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

Since this has formula in it does it replace syringe feeding in older babies?

No, they don't replace anything. They are only to be fed as treats. Formula should be given as is to babies until they wean themselves...and still try to give it to them even then! Rodent blocks (like HHBs, Harlan Teklad, Kaytee-Forti, Oxbow Rat) should be given once they are old enough to be eating solids. Feed formula and rodent blocks until they are eating their blocks like good kids> Then start adding in veggies to the menu.

Booballs can be given as occasional treats well after they are eating their blocks and their veggies daily...

Have you seen the healthy diet pyramid? Here's the link:
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...(Revised-2-13)

Fireweed I have looked at the pyramid. Alvin isn't much of a fan of formula anymore. But he does love the blocks. I'm not really sure if he is old enough to be completely weaned from formula yet so I want to make sure he gets everything he needs still.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

He's a cutie! Have you tried giving him formula in a shallow dish? Sometimes they will drink it better than from a syringe when they get to be all, "Ma-a! I not a baby no mo!"

How old is he? What kind of blocks are you giving him and how many a day AND are you positive he is eating them and not stashing them?

Quote Originally Posted by Fireweed View Post
    He's a cutie! Have you tried giving him formula in a shallow dish? Sometimes they will drink it better than from a syringe when they get to be all, "Ma-a! I not a baby no mo!"

How old is he? What kind of blocks are you giving him and how many a day AND are you positive he is eating them and not stashing them?
    I'm not exactly sure how old he is. When I found him I had him for about a week and a half before he started sitting up and his tail curled. I started him on a bag of rat blocks from petco but Friday I'm going to order some from Henry's. I've seen him pick them up and eat them when I first put them in the cage but as the day goes on I've seen him dig through his bedding to find some he has stashed. lol. I've dabbled with some of the veggies but haven't given him a full dish of them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by faith3655 View Post
    I'm not exactly sure how old he is. When I found him I had him for about a week and a half before he started sitting up and his tail curled. I started him on a bag of rat blocks from petco but Friday I'm going to order some from Henry's. I've seen him pick them up and eat them when I first put them in the cage but as the day goes on I've seen him dig through his bedding to find some he has stashed. lol. I've dabbled with some of the veggies but haven't given him a full dish of them yet.
    Faith, would you start a thread for your little guy? That way we can talk more about him and his diet etc. in his very own thread. You could maybe start one in non-emergency help needed (for now) and we can get some better ideas about how old he is etc. Post more pics of him in your new thread!
    Title it something like "looking for advice" or whatever... and let us know exactly what the 'rat blocks' are called.

I purchased some of the calcium powder from henrys pets to dust over their veggies. Would this be a suitable replacement for the fox Valley in these Boo Balls? I can order some if not. My babies are 1 year olds.

Thank you in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by hladyv View Post
    I purchased some of the calcium powder from henrys pets to dust over their veggies. Would this be a suitable replacement for the fox Valley in these Boo Balls? I can order some if not. My babies are 1 year olds.

Thank you in advance!
    I think you could but why? I make Boo balls all the time for mine and think the fox valley is an important part of the recipe. The fox valley has calcium in it plus so much more.
    Dont let anyone tell you it's just a squirrel. Tell them they have never taken the time to let a squirrel get into your heart!

Smile Re: Momma2boo's Boo Ball Recipe

Quote Originally Posted by rocky63 View Post
    I think you could but why? I make Boo balls all the time for mine and think the fox valley is an important part of the recipe. The fox valley has calcium in it plus so much more.
    Thank you!

I was only asking so that I can make some as soon as possible with the calcium powder I already have on hand until I'm able to purchase some fox valley for them. I definitely want to make it with the FV, I just don't have any on hand at the moment!

I know this is an older thread, but I would not make this recipe with calcium powder. Fox Valley contains a lot more than just calcium. This recipe with Fox Valley is fairly well balanced. I would think the calcium powder would be TOO much calcium and YES there is such a thing as too much calcium. Just as bad as not enough!

I have a squirrel who is in some discomfort right now and will NOT eat his squirrel blocks nor his regular veggies, just will NOT. So I mixed up a batch of Boo Balls and guess what, he scarfed them down. I'm grateful to have this option. Hopefully after his surgery we can go back to his normal diet. But in the meantime, at least I don't have to worry about him developing MBD for the month before his surgery.

This is a wonderful option and can be fed in place of rodent blocks or HHB (in my opinion). It was not originally designed as a treat, but the mainstay of a diet. It has never been analyzed but as so many have pointed out, the ingredients are good and while it may not be a perfect balance, it is certainly good enough. At least for me and my squirrel.

Thank you Momma2Boo!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Members who have read this thread: 7