Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Two 6 day old turkeys, help

Default Re: Two 6 day old turkeys, help

So glad to hear the this little one is still fighting! You rock! Don't have any turkey experience, but sending prayers and hopefully someone can help your neighbors bird. Have fun with the possies....what a visual, drooling possie!! lol
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

andrialilmama Guest

I do turkeys and chickens every spring. If you have a tractor supply store near you they sell a yellow powder that has all the essentials they need in it. Also contains antibiotics a small amount goes into their water. Please also make sure you have Game Foul feed. You will want starter grower. This is important.... After you dip their beaks into the water touch it to the food so some sticks. Normally it dont take long for them to catch in, Good luck .Normally the starter heat for them is right at 95 so you are doing good there as they get older move the heat lamp further away so they can begin to acclimate to the temps.

I've never had any game or farm birds that I needed to supplement like this but I still give them the yellow electrolyte stuff from tractor supply from the time they hatch until they are full sized. I have just my one munchkin opposum (oz) right now and they are awesome!! I think if you are good at oppossums then squirrels and most mammals are a breeze. They are the animals that stress me most but in the end they are so worth it.
    Susan

Mother of 1 human, 2 dogs, 2 cats, a mocking bird (released), a tank of freshwater fish,52 squirrels since 2010(released), 1 oppossum (released), and room for more babies !!!

Quote Originally Posted by pappy1264
    So glad to hear the this little one is still fighting! You rock! Don't have any turkey experience, but sending prayers and hopefully someone can help your neighbors bird. Have fun with the possies....what a visual, drooling possie!! lol
    I wish I could take credit for the albino baby's survival. I hope one day to possess just half the skill of Kathy, the retired rehabber that took him in. When I saw him on Tuesday he was trying to peck at his own feet. A beautiful indicator of sight.

Loving the possies, they are so stinkin cute!

Quote Originally Posted by andrialilmama
    I do turkeys and chickens every spring. If you have a tractor supply store near you they sell a yellow powder that has all the essentials they need in it. Also contains antibiotics a small amount goes into their water. Please also make sure you have Game Foul feed. You will want starter grower. This is important.... After you dip their beaks into the water touch it to the food so some sticks. Normally it dont take long for them to catch in, Good luck .Normally the starter heat for them is right at 95 so you are doing good there as they get older move the heat lamp further away so they can begin to acclimate to the temps.
    We have chickens, turkeys and guinea fowl and never had any trouble with the babies but this is the first time we ever encountered albino's. I think we have some of that yellow stuff (tetrocycline?) but only used for sick one's. Will get it out and see if it is still any good, if not will get more and add to everyone's water. Thanks for the advise

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrellyMom
    I've never had any game or farm birds that I needed to supplement like this but I still give them the yellow electrolyte stuff from tractor supply from the time they hatch until they are full sized.
    Maybe that is the stuff Andria talking about? I have to go there this weekend anyway and will pick some up and get all the babies started. Note, most are wild so I will have to spike all the "community" waterers that we set out for the non wilds (chickens/roosters).

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrellyMom
    I have just my one munchkin opposum (oz) right now and they are awesome!! I think if you are good at oppossums then squirrels and most mammals are a breeze. They are the animals that stress me most but in the end they are so worth it.
    You are so right, they are awesome. The newest one is meaner then the other two and way smaller. How long until they figure out that I am their new momma? None of them like me to pick them up and hold them. They hiss, growl and bite with their lil rubber teeth. I still love em but W&G got no worries on competition, at least not yet.

Mine didn't figure it out ever but I wanted it that way so on release they would be safe since alot of people HATE oppossums.... The little one I have still will hiss if I startle her when I pick her up but she is starting to get to where she knows that I am not going to hurt her and that I always have treats. I have started her with meal worms and she is absolutely smitten for them. I have never seen her so excited for anything. It took about 2 months though for her to calm down to this point.
    Susan

Mother of 1 human, 2 dogs, 2 cats, a mocking bird (released), a tank of freshwater fish,52 squirrels since 2010(released), 1 oppossum (released), and room for more babies !!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123