Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Baby Vole Care?

Default Re: Baby Vole Care?

Ok. So sorry it has taken me pretty much a whole month to finally make time to upload some pictures of this so called "Vole". Now that she is HUGE--and I'm thinking not done growing-- I am no longer sure if she is a vole. Her tail has gotten longer and she has little elephant ears. If anyone knows what she is and if she is a vole then please tell me specifically what kind because I really don't know what I should do with her. Surprisingly my husband is saying please don't release her because she will die all alone. He's scared because we don't know specifics on her and where the perfect and safest place to release her would be. I don't want to deny her freedom, but it would be worse for her if we let her go opposite of her natural habitat. So here goes....

The first two are from when I first got her.

These next ones are from after she opened her eyes and got a bit bigger.

This one is from maybe 2 weeks ago, maybe a little less. She just finished eating and I guess she is in shock.

And finally, these are the ones taken this evening after she finished her Fox Valley and got her cage cleaned.

Hope everyone enjoyed and I am looking forward to finding some closure about what she is specifically.

Oh, I just wanted to add that in the pic where she is laying down on a paper towel with the syringe in her mouth, I was not feeding her like that. She was asleep but wouldn't let go of the syringe because she was using it as a pacifier so I laid her down to get a pic.

And the one in the wheel.....I know it is way too small. This was a temporary cage that we got cheap because we didn't know what bar spacing would be ideal since we weren't sure how big she'd get and that wheel came with it. I put it in the cage for kicks and never thought she'd use it. She can't really run in it much anymore but she loves to hang out and sit in it. I just told my husband that we need to go cage shopping for her again because I don't think she's done growing. She still takes formula like a champ.

Oh my, she is darling. In some of the pictures, (the ones when she is younger), she looks like a white-footed mouse. The more recent pictures, way too big for a white-footed mouse and facial features not sharp enough or ears big enough. What a precious little one. You have done so well with her. What does she weigh now, may I ask, please?

Marty

awww what a little cutie!! such an adorable face - I cannot wait to find out exactly what she is!

Quote Originally Posted by UDoWhat
    Oh my, she is darling. In some of the pictures, (the ones when she is younger), she looks like a white-footed mouse. The more recent pictures, way too big for a white-footed mouse and facial features not sharp enough or ears big enough. What a precious little one. You have done so well with her. What does she weigh now, may I ask, please?

Marty
    I believed she was a vole at first, but then her shortish tail has gotten really long. I'm stumped. I don't have a current weight on her but I will try and get one for you.

I think that is a little rat of some kind. Mister P had a pet vole in his cage when he was in the basement - really noisy little thing - yap, yap, yap - but it was very small and the tail only about 1/4 to 1/2 the length of a mouse...

Quote Originally Posted by Ronda
    awww what a little cutie!! such an adorable face - I cannot wait to find out exactly what she is!
    Thanks! I'm anxious to know too because I've never seen an animal like her and would have never known we had them living wild in SC. In case I haven't told her name, we call her Squeaker (squeak for short) because she gets quite vocal at times, especially as a baby. She sounds like a little dog toy.

possibly some kind of rat like crittermom said .... here's a picture of a dumbo rex .... adorable... my favourite kind....

scoobysnacks/feeze/pierre/tiny paws ...are all members that would know more ... they've had baby rats etc.... if you want to pm them....

anyway ...very well done whatever it is ... adorable....

and i agree with your husband ...i wouldn't release ... it wouldn't be safe for a rat/mouse etc... and she loves you ...you're her family .... it's not like most squirrels who really prefer 50ft trees etc... you can make a rat very happy in your home.... ok ..i'm biased.....

there is more on this site....http://www.spoiledratten.com/babypic28.html

anyway...congratulations ...and welcome squeaker!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

TOOO CUTE !!! congrats on your babies
    ~~> Here is my blog ~~> http://squirrelz4evr.blogspot.com/ If you want to help donate what you can go here ~~~> http://www.gofundme.com/HoneyBeeHive RIP My Loves Brian & Kitty Reunited in Heaven

ransacklv- Thank you!!! She is a cutie.

Gs1- Thanks for all the info. I'm still wishy-washy on what it is. I know wild rats look different from the fancy rats and so on you see at pet shops, but it also looks a lot like some of the voles online I've seen. There are like 6 different kinds that range in color and size. Only thing, I haven't seen any that are grey as adults and I don't know what age they are considered adults. Some are grey as babies though. I'll have to clean out my pm's and message some other members like you said bc they may not have seen this thread.

Very very cute!! Could she be a Florida Woodrat or Eastern Packrat? Neotoma Floridana is the genus and species. Not sure where you are located. Scoobysnak could help.

Adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre
    Very very cute!! Could she be a Florida Woodrat or Eastern Packrat? Neotoma Floridana is the genus and species. Not sure where you are located. Scoobysnak could help.

Adorable.
    Thanks! I still haven't had a chance to clean out my pm's so I could message some other members. But, I will try to later and do some research on the ones you mentioned. I am in Summerville, SC.

Oh. Just had a thought. Does anyone know if I were to take her to a pest control company here, would they be able to identify her? Just a thought. Or maybe even a picture?

She also looks like a Key Rice Rat. If she is, she is considered endangered. They are mostly in Florida but who is to say she didn't hitch a ride on a truck or shipment heading north. It will be exciting to find out what she is. Keep her. She is so cute.

Marty

well if she's endangered then she'd be illegal to keep ...

but .... that doesn't mean that it's right to let her go ... or buy her a ticket to florida.... (i'm still pushing for keeping the family together ...)

i would take a photo of her ... once we know she's not an endangered species ... but i wouldn't take her to the pest control company .... ugh... bad vibes for her.....

lulu.... 2 mystery babies... how do you sleep at night???? omg... i'm biting my nails to the quick...

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

I would bring a pic to the pest control, not the poor little thing they might declare you or try to take her away from you. Just say you saw it a someone else's place.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

Ok. Based on the different rice rat pics I was looking at, she does seem to resemble them more. All the vole pics I looked at she didn't quite match up to them or if she did resemble them, none were near our area. However, a lot of the research done from what I was looking at was mostly in the late 90's. I think we are getting really close. I will take a photo to a local pest company and see if they can identify it. I won't say I have her, I'll make up a story. Thanks a billion for all the ideas. I hope she is not endangered though. I'd feel awful not to give her a chance to keep her species alive. Hopefully she is a rat or vole that has a very high population. I would love to keep her if that is best for her either way.

yes, she does look like a rice rat... but if that's the case she'll need more insects/meat based diet than normal rats (i'm guessing) since the article ...

http://www.fws.gov/verobeach/images/pdflibrary/srra.pdf

called them carnivores......

and the $1,000,000 question .... how is she around water??? if rice rats are 'semi-aquatic' lol... especially salty water .... i guess it's time to bring in the rat wading pools?

i don't think 'normal' rats enjoy spashing around in water????

Silvana..

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu2010
    Ok. Based on the different rice rat pics I was looking at, she does seem to resemble them more. All the vole pics I looked at she didn't quite match up to them or if she did resemble them, none were near our area. However, a lot of the research done from what I was looking at was mostly in the late 90's. I think we are getting really close. I will take a photo to a local pest company and see if they can identify it. I won't say I have her, I'll make up a story. Thanks a billion for all the ideas. I hope she is not endangered though. I'd feel awful not to give her a chance to keep her species alive. Hopefully she is a rat or vole that has a very high population. I would love to keep her if that is best for her either way.
    A close cousin to the Key Rice Rat is the Marsh Rice Rat. It is not endangered and is found on the East and Mid- Atlantic coast. Most rice rats are bottom of the food chain. I vote keep her. If she were a Key Rice Rat she would need to be released in FL in specific counties in/ near the Keys.(Shh! Don't tell any one I would keep her. )

Ask the pest control people about Pack Rats. She looks a lot like them too.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast