Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Baby Vole Care?

Default Re: Baby Vole Care?

After having raised Nate, I would say keep her regardless (and don't bring that baby anywhere NEAR a pest control place!) They bond really tightly with their humans and I don't believe they would ever wild up sufficiently to avoid being chow.

That little mouse in my basement that I set up for soft release FINALLY is spending the majority of her time out of the tank (though she still returns for a bite to eat and a spin on her wheel!!) but even though I literally did not touch her safe for picking her up and putting her in the tank the first time and did everything to not tame her - I have had her saunter right over to me in the basement and stand in front of me looking straight up at me! They tame down very easily.

Keep this little one!

I agree w/Crittermom (and everyone else that voted to keep him/her!)
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

I am with everyone else here..she looks happy and healthy, keep her!!! because I love her little face..and if we can't figure out what she is...who is to say she would ever find her own kind "out there"...... and I really love her face!

Quote Originally Posted by gs1
    yes, she does look like a rice rat... but if that's the case she'll need more insects/meat based diet than normal rats (i'm guessing) since the article ...

http://www.fws.gov/verobeach/images/pdflibrary/srra.pdf

called them carnivores......

and the $1,000,000 question .... how is she around water??? if rice rats are 'semi-aquatic' lol... especially salty water .... i guess it's time to bring in the rat wading pools?

i don't think 'normal' rats enjoy spashing around in water????
    Wow! That diet is far from what she is on now because we thought she was a vole. She gets a lot of veggies in the morning and dry food/treats at night. She always has access to rodent block. Hope I can make it to the pest place by friday so I can correct this if needed. I'm not sure how she is with water but I guess I will have to make her a little bath and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre
    Ask the pest control people about Pack Rats. She looks a lot like them too.
    Haha! I never knew their really was such a thing as a pack rat. I thought it was just a name for someone who stored lots of stuff. Too funny.

I looked up a photo on google and it does look like her (face/ears) but she doesn't have a furry tail. It's more of a regular rat tail. Very fine hairs but it's mostly skin.

Thank you Crittermom, Pappy, and Ronda. She is always welcome to stay just like any animals that come through our front/back door or windows even. LOL. I definitely won't be taking her anywhere near a pest place. I am going to just take a photo. I am a bit more concerned about getting her on the right diet now (I've been talked into keeping her no matter what ) so I don't want to have her diet wrong. It would be beneficial to know for sure she is a rice rat of some kind at least so I can alter her diet. It's crazy because anyone I've talked to here about her (ie: the rehabber I foster for, my exotic vet who sees domesticated wildlife and does all medical treatments for Birds of Prey Center) and nobody has the slightest clue what she is. You guys have carried me the farthest. I hope we can say we are certain here soon so I know I am properly caring for her.

Get her some wax worms. Most pet shops carry them. Very nutritious, lots of protein - they even have a pretty good amount of calcium. Nate LOVES them - he gets three a day - two in his dish and one in the morning after rollerball time.

And get her a hamster ball. I always thought they were torture devices, but Nate loves his as much as wax worms. He gets so excited when he sees it I can hardly hang onto him - he would dive right out of my hands into it if I let him!

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom
    Get her some wax worms. Most pet shops carry them. Very nutritious, lots of protein - they even have a pretty good amount of calcium. Nate LOVES them - he gets three a day - two in his dish and one in the morning after rollerball time.

And get her a hamster ball. I always thought they were torture devices, but Nate loves his as much as wax worms. He gets so excited when he sees it I can hardly hang onto him - he would dive right out of my hands into it if I let him!
    Awww. Nate sounds so sweet.

I have lots of bugs at home (crickets, wax worms, meal worms, Phoenix worms, butter worms, dry grasshoppers, and dubia roaches ) I have reptiles too. Will any others be ok to try too?

She has a wheel but I'll have to get her a ball. She loves the wheel so I'm sure the ball will be exciting to her. Thanks for all the advice!

Sorry I am posting this on Squeakers original thread, but Squeaker (The Marsh Rice Rat, just to clarify) passed away tonight. I didn't have her very long, but she left her paw prints in my life in many ways. We had some fun times together. I am not sure what the cause of death is, but I am calling Pet Rest Cemetery in the morning to see if they will cremate her. She was the best little rat I have ever had. So smart. Rest in peace Squeaker Peeker. I love you.

i'm so sorry they are so smart and loving

wild rats sometimes have parasites or tumours ... i'm thinking of scoobys roof rat jake ... he was only here for a few months too.... i don't think she ever found out why he passed either....

there's no explanations or words... i'm so sorry .... this is so sad....

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

i'm so sorry they are so smart and loving

wild rats sometimes have parasites or tumours ... i'm thinking of scoobys roof rat jake ... he was only here for a few months too.... i don't think she ever found out why he passed either....

there's no explanations or words... i'm so sorry .... this is so sad....
    Thank you. It definitely shocked me to lose her. She has been an amazing rat. She knew her name and would come when called even when running around the office and hiding behind shelves and what not. She loved paper towels too. I would give her a couple damp paper towels every night and she would get so excited and add them to her bed. I miss her so much. I am going to have her cremated if they will do it and place her ashes next to my kitty cat that died one year and one week ago.

i just re read this thread.... you did everything right ... you tried everything ..... just a lousy shock .... similar to what happened with scooby & jake ... no warning ... one day he's fine the next he's gone ...

(squeaker was adorable there's never enough time ....)

this is jakes thread... http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=26927 it might help to read what she was going through ... that crazy/agony ...driving you mad grief.....

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

i just re read this thread.... you did everything right ... you tried everything ..... just a lousy shock .... similar to what happened with scooby & jake ... no warning ... one day he's fine the next he's gone ...

(squeaker was adorable there's never enough time ....)

this is jakes thread... http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=26927 it might help to read what she was going through ... that crazy/agony ...driving you mad grief.....
    Thank you for posting that. It is hard, but I do find some comfort in knowing that someone else went through the same thing with a wild rat. Maybe that was old age for her. Still so sad to lose her. Feels like yesterday I was still giving her formula and trying to figure out what she was.

Silvana..

still thinking of you and squeaker....

Silvana..

Ohh, I'm so sorry! Squeaker was adorable and will always be with you in spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu2010
    Sorry I am posting this on Squeakers original thread, but Squeaker (The Marsh Rice Rat, just to clarify) passed away tonight. I didn't have her very long, but she left her paw prints in my life in many ways. We had some fun times together. I am not sure what the cause of death is, but I am calling Pet Rest Cemetery in the morning to see if they will cremate her. She was the best little rat I have ever had. So smart. Rest in peace Squeaker Peeker. I love you.
    ADIOS little FUZZER... You brought such HAPPINESS to your "Mom".
    You will never be FORGOTTEN.

ANY LOSS OF ONE OF OUR LITTLE ONES--IS A LOSS TO US ALL
    Attached Images Attached Images  

stosh2010 that brings tears to my eyes... it's beautiful ... and so perfect

Silvana..

Lulu, I am so sorry.... I know, these little creatures, with their sweet (sometimes, needy) faces do know how to leave their imprint on our hearts...
    And this furry little someone lived a good life b/c of you love and care....
    and eventually, you will meet again...

Quote Originally Posted by stosh2010

ANY LOSS OF ONE OF OUR LITTLE ONES--IS A LOSS TO US ALL
    so true...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast