Thread: Walter the Squirrel with Pox

Hybrid View

Default Walter the Squirrel with Pox

Hey All,

Meet Walter - he's a 4-6 month old squirrel who I got from the vet who is the lone survivor of a family slaughter thanks to a dog. 3 days into my care and Walter broke out in a lesion under his eye and guess what....SQUIRREL POX. I've been working with a rehabber who has dealt with pox before and so far the care Walter has been receiving appears to be working as Walter's sores are scabbing over...but we are not out of the woods just yet. I wanted to post the pics so we can all learn about pox and from pox. Here's Walter....
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Default Re: Walter with Squirrel with Pox

Awww poor little baby..... I will be reading along to see how he does and to educate my self.
    Thanks for sharing.

I'm saying a prayer for Walter - and thank you for sharing - this is something we should all learn. I will be following too.
    Nancy
    Illinois Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator

take a peek at my website for fun happenings and cute critters!

http://www.2ndhandranch.com/index.html

Thank you to all that made the Rehab Cottage dream come true

mugzeezma Guest

As you may already know Pox is spread by ectoparasites.
    I often wonder if a dose of revolution will kill off ecto and endo parasites.
    If nothing else it will remove any parasites that are taxing his immune system.
    Good nutrition and a low stress environment are VERY important as there is no absolute cure.
    Looking forward to updates.

Oh, NutmegsMommy...

... just no words for all you have taken in and taken on in the past several months. Bless you for having such a kind heart, and for sharing your experiences with the rest of us on TSB even at the most difficult times. I appreciate seeing the pictures of Walter; I had never seen squirrel pox before and would have had no clue what it looked like. I'll be following Walter's progress, taking notes, and praying for you both.
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Best Life
    Oh, NutmegsMommy...

... just no words for all you have taken in and taken on in the past several months. Bless you for having such a kind heart, and for sharing your experiences with the rest of us on TSB even at the most difficult times. I appreciate seeing the pictures of Walter; I had never seen squirrel pox before and would have had no clue what it looked like. I'll be following Walter's progress, taking notes, and praying for you both.
    Well said Best Life

You are just the best! You certainly have gotten your share of squirrels with issue, bless your heart. I'm praying sweet little Walter makes as full of a recovery as is possible with that nasty disease. Thank you for all you're doing for him and all the other sweet babies in your care

Default Re: Walter the Squirrel with Pox

WE have pictures of Walter unsedated - YEAH!!!!! It was tricky, but I got em'. You will note that the lesion on his left eye is almost gone. YEAH!!!!!!! He's quite a handsome little guy - and soooooooooooooooo shy Enjoy the pics - the first picture, it looks like he's smiling And in the second pic, that is what he does - he hides under his blankie and will only come all the way out after I baby talk to him for a minute - nah, he doesnt' have my heart hee hee.

**He's still got a lesion on his foot, but I took a peek at it yesterday and it looks like it is on the mend too so Walter may just be a survivor afterall - GO WALLY-WORLD!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Oh, he's ADORABLE!! You're the best, NMM!!

Wow! He looks terrific! Curious - what is the span of days between the first pictures you posted of him w/lesions on 04/04, and the picturs posted today?
    Is his treatment still the same as listed on that date? I know convenia had been discussed before, as far as it metabolizing very quickly in squirrels... so the every 10 days regimen is obviously working? Are any topicals recommended for the lesions?

I know, lots of questions, but I'm really just amazed at the progress!

Did you receive the 'Liquid Immune Barrier' yet, and how is it given? (and more importantly, received)

My dear, you are quickly becoming wise beyond your years , whatever that may be. We are all very fortunate that you are sharing all of this info you have been seeking out and collecting from various terrific resources! I suppose the #1 and most important part of Walter's treatment goes without saying... completely unconditional TLC Thank You!!
    Linda

Oh geez... just had to scroll up and look at that adorable, happy face again! What a treat he is!
    Linda

NM, just curious: any reason why Walter wasn't treated with acyclovir? I had good luck with it treating Shanti, but his case was not a bad one....
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Hi Best Life,

The pictures were taken on the 3rd of April and posted on the 4th of April.

Yes, Walter’s treatment is still the same - have not changed a thing.

Yeah, I heard the same thing about Convenia and was concerned to use it for that reason, but the vet and Karen Clark assured me that it was the recommended plan and they had seen positive results with little contact with the infected animal - which helped to decrease the stress, which in turn would hopefully keep the pox from getting worse. Stress is a big issue with pox, apparently.

Jackie has a list of topical information which works really well - I just opted to not handle Walter unless absolutely necessary - and so far his wounds have not needed any intervention from me - they scab up and heal over fine J

I don’t mind the questions at all - I’m amazed by his recovery too - of course one of two things could be at play here. I caught it early. Walter has a really strong immune system. Or, a combination to the two. Or, because he’s not had to deal with the outdoor elements, being in the A/C, getting good foods loaded with immune boosters, etc.. Or the treatment plan works. Who really knows for sure why - I’m just glad he’s doing good.

I have not ordered the Immune Booster yet to be honest with you, because Walter has been recovering so well on the treatment plan I have him on I figured why change it - if I see him get worse, then most definitely I will be ordering it. But for now, the echinchea tea seems to be doing the trick.

(My dear, you are quickly becoming wise beyond your years , whatever that may be.) - oh if you only knew - hee hee.

(We are all very fortunate that you are sharing all of this info you have been seeking out and collecting from various terrific resources!) I’m happy to be sharing Walter’s experience with everyone. I think we all learn from one another and it’s good - it helps to save a lot of fuzz butts.