Thread: "Snuggle Safe Disks" AREN'T ALWAYS SAFE

Hybrid View

Default "Snuggle Safe Disks" AREN'T ALWAYS SAFE

Last Saturday, as I was packing up my baby squirrels to leave Tomo's wonderful luncheon, something happened which had never happened before: one of my Snuggle Safe microwaveable warming disks, which I had just nuked for 2 minutes, BURST. It spewed burning hot wax all over the bottom of the large bag where it was sitting underneath both containers of baby squirrels! Needless to say I grabbed the containers and moved them off the disk, then grabbed the sopping wet bag containing the disk and ran to throw them in the bathroom sink. thank GOD both baby containers were the type with solid bottoms...had they been in my beige open top carrier which has air holes along the bottom, the burning hot wax would have seeped in and burned the babies .
    This disk was my older one; maybe 5-6 years old. I had never heard of this happening, but it did. From now on, I will be enclosing all disks in a gallon-sized Ziploc bag (or two!) before putting it anywhere near my squirrel babies.
    Tomo: I am SO SORRY about the waxy mess on your table and sink!

SUMMARY: Check your Snuggle Safe Disk for holes....don't overheat it......place it in a sealed container (Ziploc) for EXTRA PRECAUTION.

And never, ever EVER put the disk under the babies!!! ONLY under the CONTAINER they are in!

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Default Re: "Snuggle Safe Disks" AREN'T ALWAYS SAFE

Wow, I have never heard of that happening. I use them for my degus (they lie directly on them.....ugh....now I am scared to use them with them.) And I always heat mine for 5 mins, too. (Mine are new, both less then a year old). I use it with a cover or fleece over it. Can you contact the company (even being older, they still should be aware.) Glad everyone was ok (well, except Tomo's table.... )
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

butterflyam Guest

I urge you to check the discussion thread at Handicapped Pets.com Since the incident that happened to me, we have been compiling every incident we can find for informational purposes. A zip lock bag will melt if anything like this happens. As you will see, the company has been contacted, but has yet to respond. If you do write to them, feel free to add this link to your story. Hopefully, they will eventually stop ignoring the situation. Personally, I will never trust the product again.

I am so glad the babies were not burned!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15296&p=81714#p81714

butterflyam Guest

I discovered that my link is not valid in the message above and I can't find your edit button. Here is the correct link. You will see photographs of what happened to me. Thanks for your patience!

http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/v...=82942&e=82942

The link is asking for me to log in. Now I am terrifed to use these, which is awful, my degus love them!
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

butterflyam Guest

Hello again...my head moderator tells me that the link is doing the same thing to her - asking for a log in. I have come back and tried it four times and it takes me directly to the thread. If anyone is interested in reading more and seeing the photographs, you might want to register for our board. It is very non-invasive and quick. I believe we have the most comprehensive collection of stories posted on the web in one place regarding the danger of this product. I have contacted the manufacturer, the product safety recall agency and consumer products. The only response I have received is an acknowlegement from consumer products. We have to keep each other informed and I pray that no other animal is hurt by this. My animals were lucky, my house is still standing, but there is a story about a family's cats who were injured during a plane flight because of the Snuggle Safe. You will see another story of a woman's patio catching fire. Our web address is www.handicappedpets.net